Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 18, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #12,661 of 23,494
PCC88 pinched waist Heerlen, 1957. $375 OBO. How do these sound in relation to the CCa/E88CC, 6922 variant? Curious.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NOS-tube-pinch-waist-d-getter-Valvo-PCC88-6DJ8-E88CC-6922-704025-1957-/382047304478

A mere $289.99 for a set of 75 SWGP Reflektors. Same seller that sold me noisy tubes.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6N23P-E88CC-6922-6DJ8-MatchedPAIR-REFLEKTOR-SingleWire-SilverShield1975-1-/182535453751

Apr 18, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #12,662 of 23,494
And the he560 and hd650s are great headphones. Nice pairing

even though ive never owned a pair i found the hd650 warm but not as warm at all with better/higher powered amps (but nothing over the top).
And hence why i had read some reviews calling them neutralish which i never initially understood

Let us know how you find them when you get the mj2 in comparison to the lyr

Slightly off topic...Well, the MJ2 arrived today and I was eager to do a comparison with LYR2. Admittedly, still running-in (6 hrs or so), but first impressions of the MJ2 with the venerable HD-650 headphones are very good. Smoother and more precise stage and a 'weightier' sound.. The HD-650 dullness is not apparent...and the bass is more articulate. And, believe it or not, this is an impression with LISST, which I'm using for running in the MJ2. Interestingly perhaps, I feel they are much more suited to the MJ2 than LYR2..no question to my ears. Looking forward to trying some tubes in the next few days.

Apr 18, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #12,663 of 23,494
  Slightly off topic...Well, the MJ2 arrived today and I was eager to do a comparison with LYR2. Admittedly, still running-in (6 hrs or so), but first impressions of the MJ2 with the venerable HD-650 headphones are very good. Smoother and more precise stage and a 'weightier' sound.. The HD-650 dullness is not apparent...and the bass is more articulate. And, believe it or not, this is an impression with LISST, which I'm using for running in the MJ2. Interestingly perhaps, I feel they are much more suited to the MJ2 than LYR2..no question to my ears. Looking forward to trying some tubes in the next few days.

Is that with XLR headphone cables? 

Apr 18, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #12,664 of 23,494

Is that with XLR headphone cables? 

No, not yet...still SE...I'm waiting for some Forza Audioworks to arrive...any day now.

Apr 18, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #12,665 of 23,494
  No, not yet...still SE...I'm waiting for some Forza Audioworks to arrive...any day now.

Well, be prepared for another palpable improvement in sound quality!

Apr 18, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #12,666 of 23,494

My HE 500`s sound much better with the MJ2 vs the Lyr 2. More of a thumping bass sound with all my cans, worth the money IMO.

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #12,667 of 23,494
  My HE 500`s sound much better with the MJ2 vs the Lyr 2. More of a thumping bass sound with all my cans, worth the money IMO.

Yes, I heard they were better in the bass department. Personally, for my genres of music, I'm not after overwhelming bass but something perhaps different from the Senns for different music types. I do have my eyes on the HE-560 which I thought might complement the HD-650 in my penchant for Rock Classics. For acoustic (Jazz etc) the Senns are pretty good...esp now with the MJ2.

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #12,668 of 23,494
I still have my Lyr 2 and Modi Multibit even though they have been replaced by a Mjolnir 2 and an Yggdrasil. I am considering keeping the Mimby/Lyr 2 to use in my home office and moving the Yggy/MJ2 to the living room to use exclusively with the 2 channel system I am building.

Regardless, the MJ2 is a MASSIVE step up over the Lyr 2 in every way. Especially when using balanced cables from Yggy to the headphones.

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #12,669 of 23,494
Incidentally, the LISSTs benefit from quite a bit of running-in. When I first tried them (on LYR2), I almost passed them up after a couple of days. IME they need a good 50+ hours or so. Comparing to stock tubes, on the LYR2, the stocks just edge ahead...to my ears the LISST are a bit more in-your-face. I'll do the same comparison when I've run in the MJ2 a bit more.

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #12,670 of 23,494
  I still have my Lyr 2 and Modi Multibit even though they have been replaced by a Mjolnir 2 and an Yggdrasil. I am considering keeping the Mimby/Lyr 2 to use in my home office and moving the Yggy/MJ2 to the living room to use exclusively with the 2 channel system I am building.

Regardless, the MJ2 is a MASSIVE step up over the Lyr 2 in every way. Especially when using balanced cables from Yggy to the headphones.

Yggdrasil sounds great, by all accounts... almost hope I never hear one...at the moment quite satisfied with the GMB. Apart from that they never seem to have any Yggys available in Europe and the €/$ rate has not been good....makes them very pricey here.

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #12,672 of 23,494
I've been out of the audio game for half a decade, but my recent trip to CanJam reignited my interest. Therefore, I jumped on the LYR 2 bandwagon and began tube rolling. I went off the deep end and sprung for a pair of Telefunken ECC88 / 6DJ8.

Quick question, has anyone ever seen this tube with the print "Made in Western Germany"? There's a diamond logo on the bottom, slanted getter support (pre-68 model), and the halo looks accurate. These point to an authentic tube. However, I've never seen that specific print nor can I find other copies online. If any tube expert can chime in, I would be super thankful. 

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #12,674 of 23,494
If it has slanted getters, its authentic. No one besides Telefunkens did that & it can't be faked by counterfeiters.
And
brokensoundif you decide to buy any tele cca i would be happy for you to send them to me for 4 weeks so i can plug them into my system and see if they sound like what i would expect them to sound like.

Same goes with burning in a focal utopia or lcd 4 - free of charge!!

I'm always here to help :)

And i'm no expert but ive only seen those slanted getter supports on tele tubes

I also believe feom what ive read that there is a fair step up from tele e88cc to e188cc

Cheers
Peter

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #12,675 of 23,494
And
@brokensoundif you decide to buy any tele cca i would be happy for you to send them to me for 4 weeks so i can plug them into my system and see if they sound like what i would expect them to sound like.

Same goes with burning in a focal utopia or lcd 4 - free of charge!!

I'm always here to help
smily_headphones1.gif

And i'm no expert but ive only seen those slanted getter supports on tele tubes

I also believe feom what ive read that there is a fair step up from tele e88cc to e188cc

Cheers
Peter

Thanks for the quick reply guys!

I'm still on the fence on whether I enjoy the Amperex with D-Getters or the Telefunkens more. Currently using the HE560 and HD-800 w/ SD mod. The LYR 2 also sounds surprising good as a preamp (versus Grant Fidelity TubeDac-11 and Geek Pulse) for my B&W CM speakers. They produce a syrupy good sound, that while not the last word on accuracy, are highly enjoyable.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back