Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 12, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #12,316 of 23,494
My 75' HG Reflektor SWGP Silver Shields come in tomorrow and im quite nervous after the rep Yura has accumulated over the forums, although his/her rating is flawless on Ebay. I couldn't find page about Russian tubes for identification purposes. Does anyone have the 75' Holy Grail Reflektors on hand to compare them with or know of a link that could assist? Thanks guys! :blush:

If you look at the pics from 3/16/16 I posted pics of my 74 and 75 Ref SWGP. 

Mar 12, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #12,317 of 23,494
My 75' HG Reflektor SWGP Silver Shields come in tomorrow and im quite nervous after the rep Yura has accumulated over the forums, although his/her rating is flawless on Ebay. I couldn't find page about Russian tubes for identification purposes. Does anyone have the 75' Holy Grail Reflektors on hand to compare them with or know of a link that could assist? Thanks guys! :blush:

I have three pair.....what do you need to know?

Mar 12, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #12,320 of 23,494
I just wanted to compare the anatomy; through and through. Not sure how common fakes are but def want to compare them. Thanks, Winders :blush:

Here you go:

My Reflektors are from early 1975 and have nickel pins. These were made for export.

Mar 12, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #12,321 of 23,494
Thanks! That's my birthday :blush:

I'll be sure to check that out

Reason the guy has 100% is you cannot change your feedback of the seller after you leave it, it is a good idea to look at the revised feeback number as well. The tubes were not noisy in the Lyr 2, they were ddef noisy in my dac though. Well after I left the + feedback (several months). The tubes have the Reflektor logo, with CCCP, they may or not have OTK on it, roman numeral for the month and 2 digit number for the year. You will see a silver shield on the tube and a single wire (SWGP) with an upside down flying saucer there. Steel pins (pointy ends) and a fat bottle.

Mar 13, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #12,322 of 23,494
Guys what are other amps our there besides Lyr and Lyr2 which can run approximately the same tubes? As Lyr/Lyr2 is a "hybrid" solution I'm thinking maybe trying a 100% tube amp would make the tube signatures even more pronounced? Going on a limb here - maybe Lyr/Lyr2 is the best setup already, just thought this is the place to ask, if any.

Mar 13, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #12,323 of 23,494
  Guys what are other amps our there besides Lyr and Lyr2 which can run approximately the same tubes? As Lyr/Lyr2 is a "hybrid" solution I'm thinking maybe trying a 100% tube amp would make the tube signatures even more pronounced? Going on a limb here - maybe Lyr/Lyr2 is the best setup already, just thought this is the place to ask, if any.

In the Schiit line the Vali 2, Valhalla 2 and MJ2 all use the same tubes as the Lyr 2.  The Valhalla is an OTL with only the 6N1P(6DJ8/6922/ECC88...) rollable...

Mar 13, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #12,324 of 23,494
Hey guys, I have a Lyr 2 and am looking for a recommendation or two. I'm looking for a pair of tubes well suited for Jazz and R&B. Something not too bright, as my ears are sensitive to sharp treble. Something that highlights the mids/low mids/lows with reductions to the treble sharpness would be nice.

Help!

Mar 13, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #12,325 of 23,494
I'm going to try these cheap socket savers. (Maybe in the future I get better ones), since they're in Spain and will arrive quickly to home.

How exactly do you remove the tubes from the socket? (I believe the socket is still under the top of the Lyr).  You push down the socket with some object while trying to pull up the tube? 

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #12,326 of 23,494
I'm going to try these cheap socket savers. (Maybe in the future I get better ones), since they're in Spain and will arrive quickly to home.

How exactly do you remove the tubes from the socket? (I believe the socket is still under the top of the Lyr).  You push down the socket with some object while trying to pull up the tube? 

use a chopstick to hold the SS in and take out the tube. That advice is for the tubemonger SS, may or may not work with what you bought.

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #12,327 of 23,494

Anything non-metal (wood or plastic are good choices) that you can fit in the opening to hold the socket saver in place while you wiggle the tube out of the saver.  Something like a tongue depressor/Popsicle stick should work fine with those.

Mar 13, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #12,328 of 23,494
@TK16
@ThurstonX

I know it was a basic question, but very helpful answers, thanks!

Regarding this SS, my Lyr runs at 49-52ºC on top/case (with 23º-27C ambient temp), tubes at 5-25ºC more than the case temp. I asked the vendor if the plastic of the SS, can stand this and he told me that he used this with EL84 tubes that run hotter without a problem. 

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #12,329 of 23,494
Reason the guy has 100% is you cannot change your feedback of the seller after you leave it, it is a good idea to look at the revised feeback number as well. The tubes were not noisy in the Lyr 2, they were ddef noisy in my dac though. Well after I left the + feedback (several months). The tubes have the Reflektor logo, with CCCP, they may or not have OTK on it, roman numeral for the month and 2 digit number for the year. You will see a silver shield on the tube and a single wire (SWGP) with an upside down flying saucer there. Steel pins (pointy ends) and a fat bottle.

Mine has both the logos, one has romantic numeral I, one has II, no OTK on either one, disc and silver shield check out. It was packaged in a box too small for my liking and protected by what looks like the inside of a soviet sofa from 75 as well. Pins have oxidized a bit so sprayed them with Deoxit and ran an errand down the road. I'll post some pics when I get back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back