Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 6, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #12,226 of 23,494
Alright the Eindhovens as I suspected after seeing them and their getter flashing today they are near end of life, they are decently matched - I can get two matched pairs however 3 out of 4 have noise, as per testing results I expect the noise on two of them to disappear , the third one I'm not so sure.
Here's the readings where average 100% Ia = 13.75 mA

Ia1Ia2
[tr] [/tr]

Average gm at point measured = 8-9mA/V

Gm1Gm2
[tr] [/tr]

I'll burn them in and see what happens.

As for the sound well they are quite nice indeed - have the greatest amount of detail of any heerlen tube I've heard, almost Siemens CCa type of sound, not as lush as the later heerlens in the mids, tighter punchier bass with a nice extension (very enjoyable), highs are nicely extended as well however they are milder than the Siemens.

These are my first impressions... I am really perplexed as to what "Grade 1" is supposed to mean? Perhaps Grade 0 = dead, Grade 1 = almost dead? Still though I should've known this auction was too good to be true :D But I'll give them a shot to shine if the noise disappears I'll keep them

They really do sound amazing, bass is most noticeable, I think the noisy one that I have is at the end of life as well

Wish I have access to a tester so I can test the quiet one and see how much life it has

Mar 6, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #12,228 of 23,494
I have not seen that pattern with any tubes. If that were the pattern, the Lyr 2 would be a worthless device. After tubes have been burned in, it should take any more than 15 minutes for them to be sounding close to their best if not their best. They shield stay sounding nominal until you turn off the amp.

Are your sure it isn't just your mood isn't changing?

My mood? Changing every day in the exact same fashion? I'm not that crazy. :)

I'm definitely not imagining it. I hear these changes. I wonder if they are still burning in. The V's have maybe 120 hours. The stock had maybe 150 before I stopped using them.

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #12,229 of 23,494
  Alright the Eindhovens as I suspected after seeing them and their getter flashing today they are near end of life, they are decently matched - I can get two matched pairs however 3 out of 4 have noise, as per testing results I expect the noise on two of them to disappear , the third one I'm not so sure.
Here's the readings where average 100% Ia = 13.75 mA
Ia1Ia2
Average gm at point measured = 8-9mA/V
Gm1Gm2

I'll burn them in and see what happens.

As for the sound well they are quite nice indeed - have the greatest amount of detail of any heerlen tube I've heard, almost Siemens CCa type of sound, not as lush as the later heerlens in the mids, tighter punchier bass with a nice extension (very enjoyable), highs are nicely extended as well however they are milder than the Siemens.

These are my first impressions... I am really perplexed as to what "Grade 1" is supposed to mean? Perhaps Grade 0 = dead, Grade 1 = almost dead? Still though I should've known this auction was too good to be true :D But I'll give them a shot to shine if the noise disappears I'll keep them

kolkoo,

What happened? Mad dash to purchase 50's Eindhoven E88CC D getters from Langrex, and instead left w/ tickets for Atlantic Crossing on the TITANIC!
confused_face.gif

Mar 6, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #12,230 of 23,494
Ok, 816 pages of this thread.....:confused_face(1): I will make this simple ( yes, I understand nothing about this is simple) ..... First, this is all new to me so be nice please. I have a pair of Hifiman He-400i coming soon and am seriously thinking about a Lyr 2 to drive them. My question is........ seeing that the stock tubes get a.. "meh"... but people are very happy with Xxx nos tubes to bring out what they want to in the amp. And seeing as I know nothing about tubes and rolling them I need some recommendations. A touch more info... while I don't no schiit about headphones (see what I did there?.. of corse you did, sorry) or their amplification, I do have a solid history in two chanel hi fi (read mid fi). There is about a years worth of pages to get threw on their thread and will, but I'm trying to buy an amp in the next two days.

So to cut to the chase. I'm looking for recommendations for tubes to ues with the Lyr 2 from the get go. I would like to pop in some tubes that will let me enjoy the potential of the amp from day one. . But, there is always a but. But.. I have a budget. I'm hoping I can get a good pair in the $100 range for both that will put me and the amp in a good place and will tide me over until I'm ready to play with it. If I have the stock tubes I will always be wondering what I'm missing rather than fine tuning... ( yes I realize this is all fine tuning).

So, what are good reasonable prices.. $100 or so for a pair of tubes (yes I will go a bit higher if it really makes a difference) to paired with a Hifiman He-400i. My source is not clear at the momen but some combo of, Ipad, iPhone, old iPod with lossless files, iTunes Match, LP's CD's with a marginal player. I will be buying a DAC at some point.

Music... just about anything other than new country and rap.... and speed metal.

Classical: mostly quartets and small ensombles, Indian.
Classic rock: Zep, Santana, Zapa, Beatles, Stones, King Crimson...
Classic country but lots more alt country. Buck, Waylon, Hank the first--- Wilco, Son Volt.
Folk: Americana, Irish, Blues, all types in the broadest sense.
Alternative( what ever that means): punk, post punk, post post punk. Calexico to The Cramps.
Jazz: mostly classic, Miles, Coltrain, Monk, Sanchez, Waller, Fess and all things NOLA.
Electronic-ish stuff: Beck, Bijork, William Orbet.
Latin: Cuban son, Son Jarocho, Latin Jazz, Latin dance...
Best band ever?...... Los Lobos.. duh!

Sonic preferences: warmth over analytical but do like detail. Bass is important but I'm not a Bass head. If it needs to be base heavy I want it, but accuracy and warmth are more important. I do like impact and involvement so when the beat drops I want to feel it. But it needs to be clean and real..... yes, I want everything.

So, reasonable priced tube recommendations that will tide me over until I'm flush again and have the rolling bug. If you could only have one set of tubes what would they be?.... Now, if you could only have one set of tubes that I can afford, what would they be?

Sorry if i went on two long.... I blame one too many beers.... maybe two.

Bill

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #12,231 of 23,494
This question comes up every couple of weeks and here's my stock answer...

Get a pair of Heerlen, Holland Philips or Valvo E188CC's and call it good. Make sure they have the Heerlen delta in the code. If you're patient you can find them for around $100. To me a more sophisticated and layered soundstage than the E88CC's...better separation between instruments/less congestion. A bit smoother/warmer presentation than the E88CC's as well...which should be a bonus with your Hifiman He-400i's.
Midrange to die for but still very well balanced. Fantastic all-purpose tube at an affordable price.
TK16 on this thread is fantastic at sniffing out deals.  He might point you in the right direction.

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #12,232 of 23,494
I have a pair of Hifiman He-400i coming soon and am seriously thinking about a Lyr 2 to drive them. .

Bill

I have been running with that combination for almost a month now, I'm enjoying it quite a bit. The Lyr 2 is probably more amp than needed for the HE-400i's, but I like the fact that there is some growing room there for when I inevitably decide I want to upgrade my cans.

As new as my rig is, I can't offer any specific tube advice yet (the post above is probably a good plan to follow), but I'll throw this out there - the changes you get from tube rolls are subtle. Of course we are talking about music, so subtleties do matter - but don't think that since the stock tubes get lukewarm reviews that the Lyr 2 running them will sound like crap. It will, in fact, sound pretty great.

Just pointing out that if you run them for a period of time while you look for a good deal on something more interesting in the NOS realm, you won't be suffering any. :wink:

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #12,233 of 23,494
Just to point out how great Langrex have been after I asked them about the tubes - they confirmed that the Eindhoven's were originally badly tested by some third party supplier of theirs and after they retested them they acknowledge the bad numbers, refunded me the entire quad and even let me keep it as a gesture of good will. I definitely will buy from them again if they pull out something I am interested in :p

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #12,235 of 23,494
Geez, I'm glad i couldn't pull the trigger on a pair. Sounds like they sold some junky tubes. Good they are making things right

Well to be honest they are still in decent shape if the noise gets away I will enjoy them a lot. One pair is both 10mA out of 13.75 at 100% so it should have a decent amount of hours :) Plus they look really cool

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #12,236 of 23,494
I just read in the latest Wikileaks dump about CIA spycraft that the OSS started bugging tubes back in the 1940s, which of course carried over to the CIA.  As a public service, I'll take any and all rare old spyglass off y'all's hands.

Mar 7, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #12,239 of 23,494
I'd like to know if they're Blackburn or Mitcham . Mitcham tubes have always been lackluster in comparison to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back