Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 6, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #12,212 of 23,494
After a lightening bolt of clarity I've decided to screw the Gumby and go with the Yggy. I ain't gettin' any younger.
As they used to say on Firesign Theatre, "May God have mercy on my heathen soul."

Mar 6, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #12,213 of 23,494
Lol I don't blame you

Do you think it will sound OK if I match it with a Heerlen PW? I have a "low testing but sound ok" that should arrive this week

Bill ran a pair like that, think he had good results.

Yes I was running a 7L0 Eindhoven with a 7L0 Heerlen...sounded great. I managed to snag a 7L1 Eindhoven after that though and now run the 2 Eindhovens together. I don't think I could tell the difference in a blind test.

Mar 6, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #12,214 of 23,494
After a lightening bolt of clarity I've decided to screw the Gumby and go with the Yggy. I ain't gettin' any younger.
As they used to say on Firesign Theatre, "May God have mercy on my heathen soul."

My Yggy is at 240 hours of burn-in and sounding really nice! You won't regret it!

Mar 6, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #12,215 of 23,494
Lol I don't blame you

Do you think it will sound OK if I match it with a Heerlen PW? I have a "low testing but sound ok" that should arrive this week

Bill ran a pair like that, think he had good results.

Yes I was running a 7L0 Eindhoven with a 7L0 Heerlen...sounded great. I managed to snag a 7L1 Eindhoven after that though and now run the 2 Eindhovens together. I don't think I could tell the difference in a blind test.

Thanks guys, but doubt I will come across another 7l0 or 7l1 any time soon lol

Mar 6, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #12,216 of 23,494
Oh yeAh that is the stuff

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #12,217 of 23,494
Oh, I forgot to mention this. Now that the LISST "tubes" have burned in, they sound really good. I am really liking my Lyr 2 as a solid state amp!

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #12,218 of 23,494
Oh, I forgot to mention this. Now that the LISST "tubes" have burned in, they sound really good. I am really liking my Lyr 2 as a solid state amp!

I kept the LISST tubes in my Lyr 2 for 3 weeks. It does sound pretty excellent that way!

This past weekend I finally pulled the LISSTs in favor of the stock tubes. After a few hours of burn-in, the sound seems more spacious and fleshed-out compared to the LISST sound, but the difference is subtle.

I am going to get to know the stock tubes for a month or so, then I'll finally move on to the Holland Phillips E188CCs I have waiting on deck. And by then I'll probably have a pair of CCa's waiting their turn...

And the tube mania doesn't stop there, I just scored a pair of Telefunken 12AU7As to try in my integrated amp. Woot.

Mar 6, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #12,219 of 23,494
I'm noticing a pattern with the Volkshods.

1 - 3 hours after power on.... kind of thin, nice depth and layering, but lacking sparkle and engagement

3 - 6 hours after power on.... amazing depth... tonality, engagement, sparkle, euphonia are all off the charts

6+ hours after power on... a bit mushy (compared to before), depth decreases, loss of sparkle and engagement, boring

I noticed the same pattern with the stock tubes.  Is this a thing with tubes in general or just these specific tubes?  I really hope it's the latter becuase I don't like the idea of having a small window of listening time to enjoy my amp.  I'd rather go back to solid state where it's not going to change depending on where the hands of the clock are pointed.

Mar 6, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #12,222 of 23,494
  I'm noticing a pattern with the Volkshods.

1 - 3 hours after power on.... kind of thin, nice depth and layering, but lacking sparkle and engagement

3 - 6 hours after power on.... amazing depth... tonality, engagement, sparkle, euphonia are all off the charts

6+ hours after power on... a bit mushy (compared to before), depth decreases, loss of sparkle and engagement, boring

I noticed the same pattern with the stock tubes.  Is this a thing with tubes in general or just these specific tubes?  I really hope it's the latter becuase I don't like the idea of having a small window of listening time to enjoy my amp.  I'd rather go back to solid state where it's not going to change depending on where the hands of the clock are pointed.

I have not seen that pattern with any tubes. If that were the pattern, the Lyr 2 would be a worthless device. After tubes have been burned in, it should take any more than 15 minutes for them to be sounding close to their best if not their best. They shield stay sounding nominal until you turn off the amp.

Are your sure it isn't just your mood isn't changing?

Mar 6, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #12,224 of 23,494
Alright the Eindhovens as I suspected after seeing them and their getter flashing today they are near end of life, they are decently matched - I can get two matched pairs however 3 out of 4 have noise, as per testing results I expect the noise on two of them to disappear , the third one I'm not so sure.
Here's the readings where average 100% Ia = 13.75 mA
Ia1Ia2
Average gm at point measured = 8-9mA/V
Gm1Gm2

I'll burn them in and see what happens.

As for the sound well they are quite nice indeed - have the greatest amount of detail of any heerlen tube I've heard, almost Siemens CCa type of sound, not as lush as the later heerlens in the mids, tighter punchier bass with a nice extension (very enjoyable), highs are nicely extended as well however they are milder than the Siemens.

These are my first impressions... I am really perplexed as to what "Grade 1" is supposed to mean? Perhaps Grade 0 = dead, Grade 1 = almost dead? Still though I should've known this auction was too good to be true :D But I'll give them a shot to shine if the noise disappears I'll keep them

Mar 6, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #12,225 of 23,494
  Alright the Eindhovens as I suspected after seeing them and their getter flashing today they are near end of life, they are decently matched - I can get two matched pairs however 3 out of 4 have noise, as per testing results I expect the noise on two of them to disappear , the third one I'm not so sure.
Here's the readings where average 100% Ia = 13.75 mA
Ia1Ia2
Average gm at point measured = 8-9mA/V
Gm1Gm2

I'll burn them in and see what happens.

As for the sound well they are quite nice indeed - have the greatest amount of detail of any heerlen tube I've heard, almost Siemens CCa type of sound, not as lush as the later heerlens in the mids, tighter punchier bass with a nice extension (very enjoyable), highs are nicely extended as well however they are milder than the Siemens.

These are my first impressions... I am really perplexed as to what "Grade 1" is supposed to mean? Perhaps Grade 0 = dead, Grade 1 = almost dead? Still though I should've known this auction was too good to be true :D But I'll give them a shot to shine if the noise disappears I'll keep them

This is the auction that sold for dirt cheap. Maybe this is what you guys got for way more money.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/E88CC-PINCH-WAIST-MULLARD-USED-VALVE-TUBE-LC25-/272576010349

Users who are viewing this thread

Back