Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 4, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #12,137 of 23,494
  Had both the lyr and the lyr 2 .. I have to say though expensive The telefunken E 288cc are the end game for this amp

Hmm well they are not technically compatible with Lyr 2 due to the greater heater current requirement and unless you've heard every other tube and variation it's really hard to come out with such a decisive statement - "end game"... I've listened to almost every single 6DJ8/7DJ8/6922 tube in existence and there are still some that elude me... and I have my favorites among the ones I do have but I would not call a single pair "endgame". The game ends when I have heard all of them :D

P.S. I've also thrown in some 2C51 tubes in the mix as they are compatible

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #12,138 of 23,494
  Yeah this is the first noisy tube that I have ever heard on the Lyr 2, all my other tubes are dead silent even when i turn the volume to the max when music is not playing

PM the seller and tell him they are noisy, seller told me he would exchange the tubes if they was a problem. He told me they were just tested in a tester, not tested for noise/microphonics. Hope the noise goes away those Endy PW are extremely rare, especially pre- d-getters.

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #12,139 of 23,494
  Hmm well they are not technically compatible with Lyr 2 due to the greater heater current requirement and unless you've heard every other tube and variation it's really hard to come out with such a decisive statement - "end game"... I've listened to almost every single 6DJ8/7DJ8/6922 tube in existence and there are still some that elude me... and I have my favorites among the ones I do have but I would not call a single pair "endgame". The game ends when I have heard all of them :D

P.S. I've also thrown in some 2C51 tubes in the mix as they are compatible

I like the E288CC in my original Lyr.  Similar sound signature as the E188CC but are often cheaper.  Another issue in addition to the heater with the E288CC is they are about 3/8" taller the standard 6DJ8.  Not a problem for our Schiit but may be in a DAC with limited space. 

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #12,140 of 23,494
  PM the seller and tell him they are noisy, seller told me he would exchange the tubes if they was a problem. He told me they were just tested in a tester, not tested for noise/microphonics. Hope the noise goes away those Endy PW are extremely rare, especially pre- d-getters.

They look quite nice chances are they will settle down with some burn-in they are from 1956 let's not forget that, I trust langrex's testing so far I've had one noisy ECC88 D-Getter bought from them out of 4 which cured it self after 40 hours of burnin. Also I wonder if they can replace the tube or only refund... given the rarity and price of these tubes I would try to make it work with burn-in :D

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #12,141 of 23,494

I am going to give it a day to see if they clear up before I contact the seller, I would hate to have to return them because I think they are the best sounding tubeb I have now

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #12,142 of 23,494
  They look quite nice chances are they will settle down with some burn-in they are from 1956 let's not forget that, I trust langrex's testing so far I've had one noisy ECC88 D-Getter bought from them out of 4 which cured it self after 40 hours of burnin. Also I wonder if they can replace the tube or only refund... given the rarity and price of these tubes I would try to make it work with burn-in :D

hopefully yours will arrive with no noise!

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #12,143 of 23,494

Had quite a few of the cheaper tubes myself ,  What I mean by end game is considering the price of the lyr  spending the extra £200 on a decent pair of tubes elevates the amp to a level greater than the £600 total outlay compared to amps that cost a lot more,, The telefunken are performing wonders at the moment in the lyr 2 and have been for a few months now without any compatibility issues and are head and shoulders over the usual suspects ,, in my opinion of course    

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #12,145 of 23,494

Had quite a few of the cheaper tubes myself ,  What I mean by end game is considering the price of the lyr  spending the extra £200 on a decent pair of tubes elevates the amp to a level greater than the £600 total outlay compared to amps that cost a lot more,, The telefunken are performing wonders at the moment in the lyr 2 and have been for a few months now without any compatibility issues and are head and shoulders over the usual suspects ,, in my opinion of course    

Wait wait wait you are using E288CC in the lyr2 without any issues for months... well  now I have to try them damn what have you done :D

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #12,146 of 23,494
  hopefully yours will arrive with no noise!

Well we'll see - I'm not worried so far I've noticed that unless a tube tests unstable on my testers (the reading just won't stabilize and will jump up and down by large amounts) or is not influenced in any way by grid voltage (called also tube running away) or is not really low testing (like 6mA or less) I don't get noise. However I've noticed the majority of tubes do stabilize if they have problem #1 and they are fixed forever, problems #2 and #3 however are incurable, we shall see :)

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #12,147 of 23,494
Just checked the invoice ,Pair of E288CC, Telefunken Brought from Uraltone Amplification web store for 294euros , I brought them after reading on one of the forums that they were indeed the end game and a perfect match , And like I say in my opinion they were right , Having owned various amps the difference in the schiit lyr 2 was quite startling , In fact I am conflicted now wherever its worth spending the thousands on woo audio amplifier to upgrade as the schiit has performed admirably , I have it connected to the oppo ha1 and currently have Hifi man he 1000v2 Fostex th900v2 and Sennheiser hd 650s which are a fantastic match with the lyr as were the hd800s I traded For the Hifiman , My lcd 3s also performed well with the lyr2 due to the low gain switch

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #12,148 of 23,494
  Did not Siemens make all the E288CC, I though Telefunken just rebranded them IIRC?

That is my understanding also.  Siemens was the single source for E288CC's...

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #12,150 of 23,494
  The Volkshods are okay, better than stock, but a little thin and soundstage isn't that great compared to what i was hearing with the BBs.  They were decent for the money but not something I'd keep.

Of all of my tubes the Russian's seem to need the longest burnin or settle in time.  RB2013 always recommended at least 100 hrs before judging them too critically.  The 74 Rockets are pretty good for the money but I do like the 74 Reflektors more...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back