Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Feb 10, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #11,746 of 23,494
I rolled in the Reflektor 6N23P SWGP, Silver Shields, Nickel Pins, Early ’75 tube a few hours ago. Everything Bob (rb2013) said about this tube seems true. It's easily as good as the Siemens CCa and probably a little better. "Stairway to Heaven" never sounded so good. "Roundabout" enveloped me. Norah Jones' "Come Away With Me" was sublime. Awesome!

Feb 11, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #11,749 of 23,494
What would you guys say is a warm tube that still retains detail?  

The Bugle Boys ended up being much more neutral than warm, and I wouldn't mind some warmth for my HD800, without losing what makes it a great headphone (detail).  Not looking to spend alot.

Feb 11, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #11,750 of 23,494
  What would you guys say is a warm tube that still retains detail?  

The Bugle Boys ended up being much more neutral than warm, and I wouldn't mind some warmth for my HD800, without losing what makes it a great headphone (detail).  Not looking to spend alot.

You may wish to look into Mullard CV2492's...

Feb 11, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #11,752 of 23,494
Interesting observation so far regarding tubes...

I'm a huge Radiohead fan, but did not like their last album, A Moon Shaped Pool.  I listened to it maybe 3 or 4 times over the course of several months, trying to give it a chance, but I could never get into it at all.  That was all on solid state gear.

So I just listened to it with the Lyr/Bugle Boys on a lark, and I am really really enjoying it.  Quite surprising.  I also listened to In Rainbows yesterday and had alot more fun with it than usual.  So I am thinking there is something about the romantic quality of tubes that does something special with that kind of pop music...

On the other hand, my experiences with classical music has been mixed.  I have not enjoyed tubes as much as solid state with that genre.  SS seems to have faster/sharper transients and a more "solid" tone, and I think I prefer that with classical especially with that being the HD800's strong suit. 

I am probably going to snag a pair of LISST tubes and use them for classical/jazz, while using glass tubes for everything else, especially pop and vocals.

Feb 11, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #11,753 of 23,494
  Interesting observation so far regarding tubes...

I'm a huge Radiohead fan, but did not like their last album, A Moon Shaped Pool.  I listened to it maybe 3 or 4 times over the course of several months, trying to give it a chance, but I could never get into it at all.  That was all on solid state gear.

So I just listened to it with the Lyr/Bugle Boys on a lark, and I am really really enjoying it.  Quite surprising.  I also listened to In Rainbows yesterday and had alot more fun with it than usual.  So I am thinking there is something about the romantic quality of tubes that does something special with that kind of pop music...

On the other hand, my experiences with classical music has been mixed.  I have not enjoyed tubes as much as solid state with that genre.  SS seems to have faster/sharper transients and a more "solid" tone, and I think I prefer that with classical especially with that being the HD800's strong suit. 

I am probably going to snag a pair of LISST tubes and use them for classical/jazz, while using glass tubes for everything else, especially pop and vocals.

If you are using a original Lyr the LISST have a higher noise floor than tubes.  If you are sensitive or use very efficient cans that may be an issue... 

Feb 11, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #11,754 of 23,494
I've read some reviews of the LISST with the original Lyr, didn't see many complaints about noise.  But I guess we'll see.  

I do use a pretty efficient noise filter for my power (it dropped the noise floor to almost nothing), so that will probably help.

Feb 11, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #11,755 of 23,494
  I've read some reviews of the LISST with the original Lyr, didn't see many complaints about noise.  But I guess we'll see.  

I do use a pretty efficient noise filter for my power (it dropped the noise floor to almost nothing), so that will probably help.

From the Schiit site;

How about Lyr?
Sure, but note that these solid-state tubes are actually slightly noisier than real tubes. If you’re already hearing the Lyr noise floor with higher-sensitivity headphones, it will be worse. They’re really best with switchable gains, such as on Lyr 2 and Mjolnir 2, for best flexibility.

wink.gif

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #11,756 of 23,494

From the Schiit site;

How about Lyr?
Sure, but note that these solid-state tubes are actually slightly noisier than real tubes. If you’re already hearing the Lyr noise floor with higher-sensitivity headphones, it will be worse. They’re really best with switchable gains, such as on Lyr 2 and Mjolnir 2, for best flexibility.

wink.gif

I would listen to this advice, I have had dead silent tubes in my Lyr 2 with DC heaters  turn up noisy in my DAC, Lyr 1 is already exhibiting noise with the BB. May be even worse with the SS tubes in the Lyr 1.

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #11,758 of 23,494
Biggest difference in the Lyr and Lyr 2 is the change in power supply to the tube rails.  The change to regulated DC was primarily due to the high noise floor of the Lyr.  They also added the high/low gain to offset this issue.

Also from the Schiit site about changes from Lyr to Lyr 2;

Hey, this looks just the same as the old Lyr! Isn’t this just the same Schiit in the same box for a higher price tag?
No. And the price tag is the same. Thanks for noticing so we can point that out here.

So what did you change?
A lot of things. First, a regulated 180V power supply for the tube stage, as well as separate regulated supplies for the current sources and DC servo. This allows us to offer a significantly lower noise floor than the original Lyr. Second, regulated supplies for DC heaters. Again, lower noise floor. A refined Dynamically Adaptive output stage that reduces high frequency distortion. And a new layout that allows for more optimized grounding. 

So why didn’t you put all that crap in Lyr?
Development improves the breed. And surface mount. Without surface mount components, all that crap wouldn’t fit in Lyr 2. It certainly didn’t fit in Lyr. 

The HD800 are 300 ohm cans and not very efficient but with my 25 ohm TH-X00 the noise floor is quite noticeable.

YMMV...

Feb 11, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #11,760 of 23,494
  Back to reality.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-Miniwatt-E188CC-/122346087173

5 sealed early 60`s Heerlen E188CC, think first auction went $440.

3 hrs left on the single PW.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/152419641492

I gonna follow the progress on those Philips. Could use them in my new amp/dac soonish. Gonna order end march the Gungnir multibit and mjolnir 2. It will be used on my secondary high-end system. Thank you for the notification.

Only thing i dont understand is that someone wrote e88cc on the package

Users who are viewing this thread

Back