Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Dec 17, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #11,026 of 23,494
  Hello friends....I need some help on static on my Lyr...I think it comes from tube socket savor but I tested it without socket I still hear "hum" plus static but not constantly.
I need your advise..

Thanks

1. Tube issues - try it with tubes you know are really good (or LISST )

2. Clean the tube sockets - be very careful with this however don't stick anything metal in there because even when turned off the lyr has a ton of voltage(?current?) inside its transformers (or something like that)

Dec 17, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #11,027 of 23,494
  Hello friends....I need some help on static on my Lyr...I think it comes from tube socket savor but I tested it without socket I still hear "hum" plus static but not constantly.
I need your advise..

Thanks

So different tubes all produce the static with the same socket saver regardless of position/channel?  Hum can definitely be the tube (I have two or three that hum and/or produce crackling or static), but could be a ground loop.  If the loop, it would be apparent with any tubes.

Dec 17, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #11,028 of 23,494
  1. Tube issues - try it with tubes you know are really good (or LISST )

2. Clean the tube sockets - be very careful with this however don't stick anything metal in there because even when turned off the lyr has a ton of voltage(?current?) inside its transformers (or something like that)

Right now, I'm testing without socket savor, It seems little static compare to with the S.S.  So, Socket Savor has some issue.  I think I need some cleaning solutions...

Dec 17, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #11,029 of 23,494
I am confused or being foolish answering this. You have diagnosed your problem.You have a circuit issue with weak tubes. The 10M were made as long life 10,000 hour tubes. I have seen my share of old Mullards, they can be very good sounding despite their low output. The sound most want with a Mullard is mellow even rolled off to a greater or lesser degree. The legendary long plate 1950s 12AX7 Blackburn is almost invariably a very used tube, when you see them these days.

I know from childhood memories that tubes were wear items not too unlike a lightbulb, a diode BTW, and were used differently than we do. I assume you don't leave your precious NOS tubes on for very long periods. They weren't NOS then, just N available at the local hardware store with a tester out for checking your burned up tubes.

Dec 17, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #11,030 of 23,494
One channel static on mine was fixed by cleaning the tubes with deoxit and spray for the sockets. No problem for over 2years

Dec 17, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #11,032 of 23,494
No! No water! Electronic cleaner in a spray can. I'm not home or I'd take a picture. From the smell I'm thinking it's trichloroethlyn. (Sp). Work tubes back and forth to break up oxidation. All while completely disconnected. You should do the rcas as well while it's unwired. You can use a qtip in alcohol as a quick test to see if it helps when cleaning pins of tubes. Mine is out of warranty so I have freedom to take it apart. Man I hope that's all clear. I don't want you to screw up your gear. I thought you'd moved on to higher end stuff.

Dec 17, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #11,033 of 23,494
Il
Thank you very much, I should order right away!  BTW spray the socket? with deoxit? or water?

Thanks
l pm a picture of my spray when I get home tomorrow . Audio shops have the stuff too. When you get deoxit , put it on a qtip and scrub pins and rca contacts with it. I usually go through 4 qtips doing a pair of tubes. Clean with the red stuff then condition with the gold. The green crap is for your volume pot. Which could also be the problem. Take the knob off and spray while turning know back and forth then lightly apply the green stuff while the amp is vertical. That's what I do anyway. Pros prolly have a better system

Dec 17, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #11,034 of 23,494
Il
l pm a picture of my spray when I get home tomorrow . Audio shops have the stuff too. When you get deoxit , put it on a qtip and scrub pins and rca contacts with it. I usually go through 4 qtips doing a pair of tubes. Clean with the red stuff then condition with the gold. The green crap is for your volume pot. Which could also be the problem. Take the knob off and spray while turning know back and forth then lightly apply the green stuff while the amp is vertical. That's what I do anyway. Pros prolly have a better system

where do I get deoxit? i can't find it in Amazon.

Dec 17, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #11,035 of 23,494
  Lyr 1, and Lyr 2 maintenance

I noticed my Lyr 2 was sounding sick last night (static), during "Dynamic Bass", of a Classical Concerto. I thought it must be the tubes NOS 61' Teslas ($25.00), then turned off my HOT system. I began a early morning maintenance program, removing tubes, socket savers, RCA connectors, and began cleaning w/ Deoxit Gold GxMD, from the tube cleaning kit. The Socket Saver pins were covered with "Black Soot" and needed "elbo grease" to bring back the shine. Cleaned the tube sockets, RCA inputs-outputs, headphone jack, and the Lyr 2, w/ Tesla Tubes sounds fantastic. (30-45min total cleaning time) 7 months ownership and my Lyr 2 needed cleaning maintenance.

I recommend twice a year Lyr cleaning program for best music SQ.

​My post from 9/26/16

You can prevent small shocks when cleaning the sockets by wearing neoprene  gloves.

Dec 17, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #11,038 of 23,494
  D-Getter E188CC 3 tubes, 12 hrs to go.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Valvo-E188CC-D-getter-3-Pcs-Quad-AVO-tested-/302163458036

Wow.  The always under-appreciated red labels.  D-Getter E188CC.  Rare find.  And will probably be bargain price.  Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Dec 17, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #11,039 of 23,494

Wow.  The always under-appreciated red labels.  D-Getter E188CC.  Rare find.  And will probably be bargain price.  Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

This seller has some good stuff to ending in less than 12 hrs.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/pet4850/m.html?item=152351967749&hash=item2378e28a05%3Ag%3AXBcAAOSwEzxYToPw&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Dec 17, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #11,040 of 23,494
  This seller has some good stuff to ending in less than 12 hrs.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/pet4850/m.html?item=152351967749&hash=item2378e28a05%3Ag%3AXBcAAOSwEzxYToPw&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Unique-75x-Sylvania-6922-E88CC-BrandNew-in-USA-Army-Box-/152354604864

Aw, look, they're lined up like little... soldiers :wink:

I like my gold pin '60s era SYL 6922s.  These seem to be from 1977(?).  Maybe my pair could act like generals to this battalion... OK, I'll stop 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back