Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 31, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #8,852 of 23,494
  does anybody have a link or a place  for a socket or spacer so i can have the tubes higher on the lyr. ( for aesthetic purposes)

http://www.tubemonger.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=NOVIB-McMurdo

There are cheaper (and less expensive) ones on eBay.  YMMV.

Mar 31, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #8,857 of 23,494
  thanks, im new to this whole tube thing but are all tubes interchangeable or are there different amount of pins depending on tube?

re: the socket savers, they're useful for aesthetics, as you say, but also if you're planning to roll (i.e., change/swap) different tubes on a regular basis.  You could always start off with the eBay cheapies, and maybe they'll work out for you.  If they develop problems, not much money lost, and Tubemonger will always sell the nice ones (I assume).  FWIW, I've only ever used Tubemonger's (the previous version, and now the latest and greatest), so I can't comment on the eBay versions.  There have been comments posted in the past.

As far as what's compatible, the thread linked to, above, is invaluable, and this one can teach you a lot:  http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm

Even after reading it often when I was in your shoes, I went back to it just yesterday and had my memory properly refreshed re: some British tube type (CV2492 vs. CV2493).  You should bookmark both.

Folks in this thread will answer any questions you have.  Enjoy the journey 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #8,858 of 23,494
I have the Tube Monger socket savers and like them but be aware that they basically stay inside the amp and are a total pain to get out without damaging them or the amp. So, plan on including them in there if you ever sell the amp. 

Apr 1, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #8,860 of 23,494
[/IMG]
They're here. Blackburn and Heerlen made CCas. I put them in together . Equal strength but the heerlen has a little more emphasis on the treble. Sound great together but when noise switches channels I'm noting that difference. They don't seem to have the same weight as the other CCas but a little more detail possibly. It's very early in the evaluation process. Very easy on the ears.

Apr 1, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #8,861 of 23,494

There they are from the printed side

Apr 1, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #8,862 of 23,494
[/IMG]
They're here. Blackburn and Heerlen made CCas. I put them in together . Equal strength but the heerlen has a little more emphasis on the treble. Sound great together but when noise switches channels I'm noting that difference. They don't seem to have the same weight as the other CCas but a little more detail possibly. It's very early in the evaluation process. Very easy on the ears.

Now THAT is an interesting combination. Weird but interesting. Let us know your verdict.

Apr 1, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #8,863 of 23,494
So far very rich and detailed. I'm digging em. 2 great tubes. Where I would think it would suffer , it doesn't . The imaging is very tight. I've switched the B to the left channel and that seems to have 'fixed' the treble imbalance . Maybe it's my ears. Could be I'm left brain dominant. Left channel delta, sounds like Heerlens . Left channel B sounds like blackburns. Switching hps and music now.
Oops wrong channel. The right is dominant, damn dislexia

Apr 1, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #8,865 of 23,494
I know you've answered my questions about codes before but just to be sure... are tubes labeled as delta 7L* (for E88CC) and VR* (for E188CC) always the same (assuming they have the same change code) regardless of brand label? Or does this only hold true for the Philips and Valvo branded ones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back