Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Feb 18, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #8,461 of 23,494
The Lyr is a very nice amp for the price. I love mine and think you will like yours. Enjoy it!

In my experience the Tubemonger socket saver work great. Sometimes you pull them out together with the tube, but it saves fiddling to get the tubes out. And they help in getting the pins straight before you put them into te Lyr. My rolling got more convenient with the savers.

Feb 18, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #8,462 of 23,494

Enjoy!
I've tried going the socket saver route, in the end I just put them aside. They do have advantages, but one or the other always wants to come out with the tube, so I find myself sticking a stick in the hole to hold down the s.saver while pulling the tube out. Just took me more time instead of less. The thin nitrile exam gloves work the best for me, excellent grip on the tube. They get cut up quickly if pressed too hard against the metal edges of the openings, but they're cheap.
My savers are the ones from Tubemonger, really nice, may use them again later. Anyway, have had no problems with swapping lots of tubes in the Schiit amps, but we are talking dozens or maybe hundreds, not thousands. The Schiit sockets seem durable enough for that kind of use. I'm just careful to be sure the tube pins are straight and clean.

My cheap socket savers broke; one of the pins became loose and I was afraid if I used it again, a pin would get stuck in the socket. Don't and won't use any kind of socket saver anymore. To me, they seem totally unnecessary.

Now, I just use plastic wrap and wrap as much of it around the top and sides of the tube as possible. I then take the unwrapped ends and twist it so it seals around the tube. Then, with my hand rested on the top of the amp, I use my index finger and thumb to gently wiggle and pull out the tube. This is my preferred method over using gloves, tube extractors (mine broke) or socket savers. I've been using the same piece of plastic wrap for the past month.

Feb 18, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #8,463 of 23,494

My cheap socket savers broke; one of the pins became loose and I was afraid if I used it again, a pin would get stuck in the socket. Don't and won't use any kind of socket saver anymore. To me, they seem totally unnecessary.

Now, I just use plastic wrap and wrap as much of it around the top and sides of the tube as possible. I then take the unwrapped ends and twist it so it seals around the tube. Then, with my hand rested on the top of the amp, I use my index finger and thumb to gently wiggle and pull out the tube. This is my preferred method over using gloves, tube extractors (mine broke) or socket savers. I've been using the same piece of plastic wrap for the past month.

I use a wooden tongue depressor to hold the tube saver down when I roll tubes. Simple, cheap and easy. And the tubes are easier and faster to roll. Win-win.

I didn't ask my wife why she had a cache of depressors, but it did work out well for me. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #8,466 of 23,494
Ok so I just put in rb's famous HG Russian tubes for the first time. Damn this is good. I'd been so happy with the '74s that I figured I'd just get very used to them and then try out the HGs but looks like I've been missing out :wink:

On a separate note -- what do you guys recommend for long term storage of Lyr size tubes? Since I first got the Lyr I now have several other much more expensive amps but the Lyr with these Russian tubes continues to have a very specific sound that I don't think I'll ever tire of so I want to make sure I keep the tubes in great shape for the long run.

Feb 21, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #8,467 of 23,494
  Ok so I just put in rb's famous HG Russian tubes for the first time. Damn this is good. I'd been so happy with the '74s that I figured I'd just get very used to them and then try out the HGs but looks like I've been missing out :wink:

On a separate note -- what do you guys recommend for long term storage of Lyr size tubes? Since I first got the Lyr I now have several other much more expensive amps but the Lyr with these Russian tubes continues to have a very specific sound that I don't think I'll ever tire of so I want to make sure I keep the tubes in great shape for the long run.

I use this.  It is a rolled quarter storage box I got from Hobby Depot.

Feb 21, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #8,468 of 23,494
Where did you get the HGs? I'm looking for a reliable source for tubes in Europe. From what I've read most Russian and Ukranian ebay sellers are not reliable. And Kevin decided not to ship to Europe anymore. Any tips here or via pm are much appreciated.

Feb 21, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #8,469 of 23,494
  Where did you get the HGs? I'm looking for a reliable source for tubes in Europe. From what I've read most Russian and Ukranian ebay sellers are not reliable. And Kevin decided not to ship to Europe anymore. Any tips here or via pm are much appreciated.

You probably know this already... But to be sure, the HGs refer to a single year of Reflektor 6N23P with specific internal construction details: '75 Reflektor 6N23P SingleWireGetterPost Silver Shield. And this was the top tube per the 6922 Tube Review conducted by rb2013 last year and referred to as the Holy Grail.

It appears there were not many of these made, at least based on availability relative to other Reflektor years and getter types. I only know of two options, one is to purchase a pair directly from rb2013 (about $250), the other is to search the ebay listings and check photos carefully and then confirm that this is what you will receive. There aren't many matched pairs that surface. If you do find a matched pair, and you actually receive the correct tubes with good matching, you still have the potential of noise and microphonics. Note that not all sellers are knowledgeable about tubes, so you want to determine first if they actually know what they are selling, have the NOS stock to match pairs, and have the reputation to actually follow through.

I know that rb2013 is very reliable on all these points. However, if you want to explore eBay, I can PM you a couple of sellers I've dealt with successfully. They do not have HGs, but you can explore other Russian tubes at reasonable cost to see some of the differences between the Russians and the Holland, UK, German, and USA tubes.

Feb 21, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #8,470 of 23,494
+1 in regards to rb2013. Also, if he reads back a few pages. There's another headfier , that was able to get a few nice sets from ebay. He may part with a pair.
You probably know this already... But to be sure, the HGs refer to a single year of Reflektor 6N23P with specific internal construction details: '75 Reflektor 6N23P SingleWireGetterPost Silver Shield. And this was the top tube per the 6922 Tube Review conducted by rb2013 last year and referred to as the Holy Grail.

It appears there were not many of these made, at least based on availability relative to other Reflektor years and getter types. I only know of two options, one is to purchase a pair directly from rb2013 (about $250), the other is to search the ebay listings and check photos carefully and then confirm that this is what you will receive. There aren't many matched pairs that surface. If you do find a matched pair, and you actually receive the correct tubes with good matching, you still have the potential of noise and microphonics. Note that not all sellers are knowledgeable about tubes, so you want to determine first if they actually know what they are selling, have the NOS stock to match pairs, and have the reputation to actually follow through.

I know that rb2013 is very reliable on all these points. However, if you want to explore eBay, I can PM you a couple of sellers I've dealt with successfully. They do not have HGs, but you can explore other Russian tubes at reasonable cost to see some of the differences between the Russians and the Holland, UK, German, and USA tubes.

Feb 22, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #8,471 of 23,494
To be honest I have read the excellent thread\review on among others the HG Reflektors. Really really good stuff and at first I though HG was a brand or specific type. Took me a couple of minutes before I realized HG is Holy Grail, best of the best, unobtanium like. Also through the other threads and posts I realized there are many many tubes out there which are nog HG, but also very very nice. That spun me off into an ebay search and find of tubes. Which lead to more and more reading and the (re)realization that ebay is a zoo. And I do not want to repeat some mistakes I made in the past while buying vintage espresso machines through ebay. A PM with some trustworthy dealers on ebay would be of great help and I'll pm rb2013 myself. Thanks for the help so far guys!

Feb 22, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #8,472 of 23,494
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291688899260

Check these out! Made in 56 the price will probably be 300$ upwards in the end. Though I'm not sure I would trust that Funke W19S ( but it's still better than no measurement at all!).

As for the HGs - I currently have  6 pairs of HGs all of which nicely matched on Mu, Gm and Ra, but on emission they rank the following
1) 3 pairs really strong - close to 15mA at 90V/-1.3V and also over it 16mA, I am not sure if I want to sell these yet
2) 1 pair good emission - around 12mA
3) 2 pairs good/ok emission - around 11mA

Anyway I will surely be willing to sell pairs 3) (and I do reside in Europe). So if anyone is interested drop me a pm. Later on if I find more nice pairs I would probably put more HGs up for sale. I don't really plan on selling on ebay much(it might happen), I'd rather just provide a service to fellow Lyr 2 users.

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #8,473 of 23,494
The last set of 56's, went for $1800. Lol. Those were Eindhoven though. I suspect these will go for $600+.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291688899260

Check these out! Made in 56 the price will probably be 300$ upwards in the end. Though I'm not sure I would trust that Funke W19S ( but it's still better than no measurement at all!).

As for the HGs - I currently have  6 pairs of HGs all of which nicely matched on Mu, Gm and Ra, but on emission they rank the following
1) 3 pairs really strong - close to 15mA at 90V/-1.3V and also over it 16mA, I am not sure if I want to sell these yet
2) 1 pair good emission - around 12mA
3) 2 pairs good/ok emission - around 11mA

Anyway I will surely be willing to sell pairs 3) (and I do reside in Europe). So if anyone is interested drop me a pm. Later on if I find more nice pairs I would probably put more HGs up for sale. I don't really plan on selling on ebay much(it might happen), I'd rather just provide a service to fellow Lyr 2 users.

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #8,474 of 23,494
The last set of 56's, went for $1800. Lol. Those were Eindhoven though. I suspect these will go for $600+.

I still suspect that $1800 was the seller jacking the price up and ended up winning the auction themselves :)

Man D-Getter pinched waists of any kind are so hard to come by, they have astronomical prices and most of them are not even measured properly so you still take a gamble even when paying a ton of money. I wonder if this was the case 5-10 years ago and if there was a better supply of tubes then.

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #8,475 of 23,494
Yeah. We were watching that auction on this thread , and agreed something fishy was going on. Lol
The set before that went for $631. Supposedly, these hard to find tubes , were very reasonable 5-10 years ago. Reading some old Internet threads back when. People were paying $100 to $200 , for all the premium tubes. Sucks for us now. Lol
I still suspect that $1800 was the seller jacking the price up and ended up winning the auction themselves :)

Man D-Getter pinched waists of any kind are so hard to come by, they have astronomical prices and most of them are not even measured properly so you still take a gamble even when paying a ton of money. I wonder if this was the case 5-10 years ago and if there was a better supply of tubes then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back