Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Dec 30, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #8,296 of 23,494
Can anyone recommend a good solution for storing / organizing tubes? I just have a few pairs sitting on my desk and I anticipate me doing something stupid like dropping a hammer on them.

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #8,297 of 23,494
  Missing the euphonics?

Why Mike, you say that like it's a bad thing.  LMAO !!!

Definition of euphony

plural eu·pho·nies

• 1 :  pleasing or sweet sound; especially :  the acoustic effect produced by words so formed or combined as to please the ear

Dec 30, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #8,298 of 23,494
Lol not at all... I believe that euphonics are why I love the Zana Deux. I think the Miniwatts have a way of fleshing things out and retaining resolution. It equals that realistic, musical sound.

Maybe the Mullards are sounding thick because they're not as linear? Emphasizing lower mids too much?

Dec 30, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #8,299 of 23,494
Hey I bought them for the 'thick'.  Don't get me wrong.  These Blackburns do a lot of things really well.  I'm just trying to pull as much
Blackburn out of them as I can.  I want them to breathe just a little bit more...they're a little tight.  Burn-in is only at about 20 hours. 
We're just getting acquainted.

Dec 30, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #8,300 of 23,494
  Can anyone recommend a good solution for storing / organizing tubes? I just have a few pairs sitting on my desk and I anticipate me doing something stupid like dropping a hammer on them.

I use a small Tube Cube from Tube Depot, that's a Pelican case with pinch-and-pull foam squares in it. I got the small one because once it's full I must be done, right? 
biggrin.gif

Edit: Link https://www.tubedepot.com/t/other-stuff/tube-cubes

Dec 30, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #8,301 of 23,494

Cardboard box (type with a lid; lots of PC parts and whatnot use them), some foam (old stadium cushion, craft & fabric store, etc.), a small, sharp knife (pen knife, not Xacto), and patience.

I've made a few (photos in this thread).  The most tediuous, but necessary part, was measuring, then planning the spacing on paper before starting to cut up the foam.  I'm happy with them.

FWIW, the tubes lay flat in mine, no boxes.  That keeps them relatively thin, so I can slide them under tables, stack them in a corner, etc.  The Pelican looks nice, but pricey, and presupposes boxes.  A lot of tubes I've bought did not come with boxes.  Of course, you can buy boxes on eBay.

Dec 30, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #8,302 of 23,494
Thanks for the responses, @Hardwired and @ThurstonX!

(BTW, I don't know how to properly @ someone where they get notification. Sorry)

Dec 30, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #8,303 of 23,494
FWIW, the tubes lay flat in mine, no boxes.  That keeps them relatively thin, so I can slide them under tables, stack them in a corner, etc.  The Pelican looks nice, but pricey, and presupposes boxes.  A lot of tubes I've bought did not come with boxes.  Of course, you can buy boxes on eBay.

Which I did. These tubes are sizable investment and I decided to take care of them accordingly.

Take half a styrofoam peanut, drop it into the bottom of a generic white tube box, slide the tube in (pins into the peanut), label the lid, decide where to put it in the foam, slide it in, repeat for the other tube of the pair. Then sit and admire the collection and hope the wife doesn't walk in and see how many more boxes there are now than the last time she saw it.

I did email Schiit and ask if they sell their tube shipping boxes separately and they do, but adding the price up for the number of tubes the Tube Cube holds, the Cube works out to be cheaper. If you just have a few tubes, you might want to go that route.  Schiit told me: "The box and foam set is $5.50 each, plus the cost of shipping."

Dec 30, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #8,304 of 23,494
So what you guys are saying is that I shouldn't keep my tubes in a mason jar filled with water?

Dec 30, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #8,305 of 23,494

This is what I use;

From the hobby store.  A box for rolled quarters is the perfect size for tubes...

Dec 31, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #8,306 of 23,494
Dec 31, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #8,307 of 23,494
Dec 31, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #8,309 of 23,494
Work with me here Kalavere. 

Edit:  Update on the Mullard 10M's for those with a scorecard.  Last nite was quite a revelation from what I'd heard from them up to that point.  Don't know if
I'm figuring them out, they're figuring me out, they're burning in...you know how that whole thing goes.  All I know is that the engagement was very much
heightened last night with a variety of music.  Imaging was much improved...considering what seems to be a narrower soundstage than I'm used to it just seemed
like the Mullies were finally able to breathe.  I also tried my 4th different pair of rectifiers to pair with them, late 50's U-Getter Mullards as a matter of fact, and they really
seemed to draw out that juicy Mullard signature sound.  Was hoping there would be a magic synergy with some of the different tube combinations on my WA2.  Anyway, I really like what I'm starting to hear.  Horns (tenors and trumpets) really were the stars of the show last night.  Great texture and projection.

Dec 31, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #8,310 of 23,494
My 2nd pair lacks the engagement of my old ugly HP stamped ones. Maybe in time... Right now they carry less charm than the Bugle boys they came with.
Happy New Years rollers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back