Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Dec 26, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #8,268 of 23,494
The Mullard Blackburn 10M Master Series ECC88 6dj8's just arrived from Brent Jessee.  Hope they sound as purdy as they look.  Need to thaw out and burn in.  Here's a peek...

Dec 26, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #8,269 of 23,494
  The Mullard Blackburn 10M Master Series ECC88 6dj8's just arrived from Brent Jessee.  Hope they sound as purdy as they look.  Need to thaw out and burn in.  Here's a peek...

Nice 
smily_headphones1.gif

My 1967 Blackburn Mullard ECC88s finally arrived from Oz today.  They're GA2, so I guess Blackburn wasn't cranking out the glass until the mid-60s.  An hour in and they sound real purtty.  Mid-centric, but with nice solid low-end; weighty.  Musical, in a word.  They definitely pair nicely with the HE-560 for rock.

What year are those 10Ms, Bill?

Dec 27, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #8,274 of 23,494

​Bill what type of getter do those have?  Is it the dimpled disc?

Dec 27, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #8,275 of 23,494

​Bill what type of getter do those have?  Is it the dimpled disc?

Large halo getter bro.  No flying saucer.   Gave the new pair just a bit of a listen last nite but did not have them in
with my usual pairing of tubes for my amp.  Just threw in a bunch of lesser used tubes that could use
some burn-in time along with them.  Will put them together with my preferred tubes later today and give them
a good work out.  I'm excited.  The little I heard drew me in nicely.  A noticeably 'elegant' presentation was my
first thought...that along with the Mrs. Butterworth thing.

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #8,276 of 23,494
Those look way nicer than mine . Ugly HP stamp. But I can't see them when they're in and they sound very unique and sweet. Nice midbass hump with a little sparkle in the treble. Rich tone provides an easy on the ears musicality. Lacks the soundstage of the best Russians or Dutch but the trade off is that thick rich presentation. I can live with that. They excel with harder music and provide a little girth to drier voiced hps. I was digging some bossa nova on em too. Gilberto girls usually have such nice production with a lot of air in there as a counterpoint to the thickish sound

Dec 27, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #8,277 of 23,494
Those look way nicer than mine . Ugly HP stamp. But I can't see them when they're in and they sound very unique and sweet. Nice midbass hump with a little sparkle in the treble. Rich tone provides an easy on the ears musicality. Lacks the soundstage of the best Russians or Dutch but the trade off is that thick rich presentation. I can live with that. They excel with harder music and provide a little girth to drier voiced hps. I was digging some bossa nova on em too. Gilberto girls usually have such nice production with a lot of air in there as a counterpoint to the thickish sound

From my initial impressions I wouldn't be surprised if that's just about how I'll end up describing them as well.  I think they are going to be tone monsters...and that's what I got them for.  We'll see.  Acoustic piano and electric guitar have really stood out to me initially.  There is a weightiness, as ThurstonX noted, to the overall sound but the bass presentation itself wasn't overly prominent to me...at least at this early stage of listening.  Can't wait to really explore these bad boys.

Dec 27, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #8,278 of 23,494
Saw these e188cc Miniwatt D-Getters sold in the wee hours of the night. Just wondering if any of you Heerlen lovers picked them up??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151917354633?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Dec 27, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #8,279 of 23,494
I wish !!  Don't know if I've seen D-Getter E188CC Minis.  Lots of E88CC's but not the E188's.  Strikes me as a great price for those.
Didn't notice them on ebay.  Damn.

Dec 28, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #8,280 of 23,494
I'm spent out. Only looking to get a couple of 75 reflektors for my dac. As I say this I'm waiting for some e188cc miniwatts and a back up pair of mullard ecc88s. I still think I like the stooges minis I got from lekoross above the e188ccs ive obtained. Those ones are the best of 6 minis and a couple valvos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back