Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Dec 7, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #8,161 of 23,494
  Hows about BUGLE BOY 6DJ8 ECC88 VACUUM TUBE LARGE O 1960 MATCH PAIR NO PAINT. I don't care about the paint stuff, im not a collector.

Yes, should be very nice.  I have a pair of 1961s from him, and they're dandy.  He tends to charge more for those with nice printing.  Like you, I don't care.  As long as I can read the factory codes, I know what kind of tube it is, and where and when it was made.  Those with an artistic bent can always paint their own 
wink.gif
  Hmmmm, now that I joke about that, maybe, just maybe...

Dec 8, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #8,163 of 23,494

My setup is literally identical to yours...  Foobar - Bifrost MB - Lyr 2 - LCD 2F.  Our tastes must be quite different because I don't find it too bright at all.  The LCDs are a dark sounding headphone.  I'm currently using Reflektor 75 HGs, but I flip-flop between those and my 61 Valvo CCa's.  I have some Amperex ECC88 A-Frames and they seem fairly mellow.

Also, I recommend leaving the Bifrost MB on all the time.  It did sound a bit harsh at first.  It settles down considerably after a few hours of being on.

What difference do you hear between Reflektor 75 HGs and 61 Valvo CCa with your LCD-2?

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #8,165 of 23,494
  What difference do you hear between Reflektor 75 HGs and 61 Valvo CCa with your LCD-2?

I'm actually pretty terrible at describing sounds I'm hearing.  I tried writing my thoughts about 4 times and deleted it because it made no sense.

Here it is in a nutshell...

75 Reflector HG:  accurate and resolving, doesn't add a lot of color to the sound, very solid state-like.  Extreme detail and speed for a tube.

61 Valvo CCa:  very resolving, fuller but less accurate bass, lusher mids, a bit more "crisp" high-end.  It's almost like I have a slight U shaped curve set in the EQ when I listen to them with a tiny 1-2db hump in the mids.

I know that's a pitiful description, but there it is.  It makes sense in my mind though, because I actually do turn up the volume on the HGs a bit to get the same perceived sound as the Valvo's.

It's like Mounds vs Almond Joy.  Sometimes I want the almonds, sometimes I don't, but I love them both.  Haha.
(and before someone asks, the Reflektors are the Mounds and the Valvo's are the Almond Joy... think about it)

EDIT:  One more thing.  What I like the best about these 2 sets of tubes is their amazing sound stage.  They just sound so open and natural.  A lot of tubes sound kind of hollow or have one thing that's annoying about them...  These tubes have nothing that annoys me or I feel they're lacking.

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #8,167 of 23,494
I just plugged in some Lorenz p88ccs. 1st impression is that they were a very good deal.$30. Very smooth And full bodied. It reminds me of the 75 voskhods . I got them from a seller in Lithuania in eBay . Very unique soundstage not at all like heerlen, suresnes or kaluga tubes. I gotta listen more to put my finger on it. also the signature is changing as they warm up. So I will get back to them. They went from sparkly to mid centric to Mullard type bass but all sounding good . Time will tell.

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #8,168 of 23,494
I just plugged in some Lorenz p88ccs. 1st impression is that they were a very good deal.$30. Very smooth And full bodied. It reminds me of the 75 voskhods . I got them from a seller in Lithuania in eBay . Very unique soundstage not at all like heerlen, suresnes or kaluga tubes. I gotta listen more to put my finger on it. also the signature is changing as they warm up. So I will get back to them. They went from sparkly to mid centric to Mullard type bass but all sounding good . Time will tell.

Can you give us a picture of the tubes? Maybe you got lucky and got the legendary lorenz tripple mica pcc88 :D, or maybe they are mislabeled as something else :D Maybe we can identify them :p

Dec 10, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #8,169 of 23,494
Gotta work, later. They are bad ass, but a little forward ala miniwatt but more so, especially in the everything, so far. Mids are very upfront like a remix of an old jazz recording remixed. I will take them out for a picture later. She had 2 pairs. I looked for them to no avail. I will reserve judgement on the tubes until a little burn in and side by side comparisons. I wish I had bought both pair. It is a 7dj8 so maybe it's the extra current making everything so "pronounced"

Dec 10, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #8,170 of 23,494
Sam, Billy, Thurstonx et al, any of you guys have experience with p88ccs loudness and vividness?

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #8,171 of 23,494
Sam, Billy, Thurstonx et al, any of you guys have experience with p88ccs loudness and vividness?

P88CC or PCC88 (AKA, 7DJ8)?  Only heard of the latter.  The only ones I've heard are the MatsuScHiITas, and they really aren't great, to my ears.  I rolled them a couple three weeks ago, and as soon as I switched to some 1960 E88CCs, I was tempted to use the Matsus for target practice.  Upscale did describe them as a big ol' bongload of mellow, so...

Sounds like you got some winners.  Looking forward to those pics.

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #8,172 of 23,494

Have never owned or even heard a pair. I know Mike (mikoss) had a pair of P88CC's...not Lorenz tho but Heerlens in a Pinched Waist version that he really, really liked. Maybe he can chime in.

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #8,173 of 23,494
I had a pair of 60's Valvo(heerlen) PCC88. They weren't terrible. They seemed too closed in. Not as holographic to my ears. You may have gotten lucky and scored some triple mica Stuttgarts. I've read both lyr threads, and they got huge praise in the old thread. Would definitely like to see some pics.

Edit: Volume levels are definitely different between pcc88 and 6922 variety. For reference, 12 o'clock for 6922, 2 o'clock for pcc88, for matching volume levels.

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #8,174 of 23,494
Ah yeah, they are pcc88. The pins are steel and the lettering is a dead give away:thinking:. They do however sound very good. Early but , everything is so pronounced that it detracts from the holography. But it does possess a better soundstage than most tubes I've tried. There is just nothing mellow about it. If Gilbert gottfried were a tube...
[/IMG]

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #8,175 of 23,494

I thought this image was in there as well. I've heard people say the miniwatt is too intense.these hit much harder than any of mine. Again, early, again it's a 7dj8. Until I hear otherwise. It's gonna get a little time in the lyr . For now they punch a little too hard for my dac. I think the suresnes Dario's are going in there or 74 reflektors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back