Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Dec 4, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #8,146 of 23,494
I saw those up on eBay . I thought about it and let the thought pass. Let us know how you like em.

Dec 6, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #8,147 of 23,494
They are way better to me than the Nationals . You need to burn those in prolly. Def try some miniwatts and the voskhods if you're just getting started. If you like the mids on the Nationals go get some Siemens E88ccs they smoke in the mids. These guys here know a lot more about tube traits. Just ask em. They don't mind helping.

Dec 6, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #8,148 of 23,494
I went ahead and purchased the LISST units for my Lyr 2 to see what it sounds like. I am not unhappy with the stock tubes. Maybe they seem a touch bright to me. Im such a noob im not even sure haha.

Dec 7, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #8,149 of 23,494
  I went ahead and purchased the LISST units for my Lyr 2 to see what it sounds like. I am not unhappy with the stock tubes. Maybe they seem a touch bright to me. Im such a noob im not even sure haha.

Well there are certainly better tubes to be had other than the stock Lyr tubes, that is for sure. One of the first things I did when I got my Lyr was replace the tubes and it made a huge difference in the quality of sound I was hearing.

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #8,150 of 23,494
  Well there are certainly better tubes to be had other than the stock Lyr tubes, that is for sure. One of the first things I did when I got my Lyr was replace the tubes and it made a huge difference in the quality of sound I was hearing.

Definitely true, but I think the stock tubes sound fine.  One thing I did (and it was really cheap) was go on ebay and pick up some better 6BZ7 RCA tubes.  The ones that came with my Lyr were made in Mexico... the ones I got off ebay were the same RCA 6BZ7s, made in the early 60s in USA.  Guess which ones sounded better?  Cost me like $15 for a set of 4 that were all tested and work great.  Not that I'll probably use them much, but sometimes it's nice to pop them in to get a baseline of what the Lyr sounds like.  Same with the LISST.  Sometimes I just put them in because I feel like something different.

Dec 7, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #8,151 of 23,494
I replaced the stock tubes pretty quick because I thought the amp sounded dull even with my q701s. I got some amperex 7308s which were very lively but a bit etchy in the highs and poor sounding microphonics. Look where that got me.

Dec 7, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #8,152 of 23,494
I replaced the stock tubes pretty quick because I thought the amp sounded dull even with my q701s. I got some amperex 7308s which were very lively but a bit etchy in the highs and poor sounding microphonics. Look where that got me.

So I've seen the word etchy thrown around a couple of times in this thread the last couple of weeks, and as I'm new to this and it's not listed here http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary can anybody explain what they mean by etchy (or hot etchy) :p

Dec 7, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #8,153 of 23,494
To me ectched is unnatural and abrasive treble that has a bit of distortion and lacks resolution. It's also out of balance with the mids. I could be guilty of creating my own definition of a word I found to be useful

Dec 7, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #8,154 of 23,494
To me ectched is unnatural and abrasive treble that has a bit of distortion and lacks resolution. It's also out of balance with the mids. I could be guilty of creating my own definition of a word I found to be useful

​I like your definition.  It would be mine as well...

Dec 7, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #8,155 of 23,494
I guess I made a new word. I meant 'etched' of course. As in 'etched in'

Dec 7, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #8,157 of 23,494
Excellent, description. When I think of the word "etched" , when it comes to sound. I picture someone welding, steel. Lol

Dec 7, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #8,158 of 23,494
What is a nice sounding all-around upgrade from the stock tubes in the lyr2? And do the lisst's require breakin time as well. Thanks.

With out spending a lot of money for tubes my biggest recommendation would be a pair of ecc88 Mullard with b codes. Usually around $40. But you'll have to hunt those down. These guys and myself will tell you get some heerlen e88cc under $100. For $80 voskhods 74 or 75s are nice. For $150 you might find some heerlen e188ccs or Dario's . Great tubes. Everyone has their favorites. I think thurstonx and guidostrunk , billerb, msvette and lekoross have sound advice. To name a few

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #8,159 of 23,494
With out spending a lot of money for tubes my biggest recommendation would be a pair of ecc88 Mullard with b codes. Usually around $40. But you'll have to hunt those down. These guys and myself will tell you get some heerlen e88cc under $100. For $80 voskhods 74 or 75s are nice. For $150 you might find some heerlen e188ccs or Dario's . Great tubes. Everyone has their favorites. I think thurstonx and guidostrunk , billerb, msvette and lekoross have sound advice. To name a few

All fine choices, to be sure.  I'd just add early '60s Heerlen ECC88s/6DJ8s ("Bugle Boys" as the boys like to call 'em).  You can usually get a pair that measure nicely from Tube Hunter on eBay for $50-$80, depending.

It's a tough question, as cans and source all combine for that magical synergy, if we're lucky.

Dec 7, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #8,160 of 23,494
Hows about BUGLE BOY 6DJ8 ECC88 VACUUM TUBE LARGE O 1960 MATCH PAIR NO PAINT. I don't care about the paint stuff, im not a collector.
Edit nevermind I just went ahead and grabbed em from tubehunter. Now, my Foxtex cans will be here tomorrow and i'll be good to go lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back