Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Dec 1, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #8,132 of 23,494
Of my reflektors, the 74 ss is a little brighter than the 75ss. 75 have a little more holographic soundstage but they are very similar. I'd say the 75 edge the 74 in balance as well. Again very close. I'm sure some guys have both and prefer the 74s. All my grey shields are voskhods. I prefer the reflektors by a fair margin for everything but bass.

Dec 1, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #8,133 of 23,494
Thank you for getting back to me. :)

The little brighter 74ss might be good for me to stay at, as I main listen with LCD-2's on the Lyr.  I would not say its the brightest headphone, so a little lift goes nice with them. Soemtimes I do sneak in a pair of Nationals 6922. I really should get a feel of those to the 74 ss.

Dec 1, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #8,134 of 23,494
They are way better to me than the Nationals . You need to burn those in prolly. Def try some miniwatts and the voskhods if you're just getting started. If you like the mids on the Nationals go get some Siemens E88ccs they smoke in the mids. These guys here know a lot more about tube traits. Just ask em. They don't mind helping.

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #8,135 of 23,494
Well
To me , the HG's were on the hot etchy side. Heerlens , put you right in the middle of Blackburns and Siemens, getting the best of both worlds, with the best Philips midrange, to my ears. At least my Valvos do. And yes , the Bifrost does need some time to settle. Gotta love the journey Billy. Lol
Well I've got my Heerlens and loved them. Still do so really hoping burn in solves the issue. What would be a good year and fair price for Blackburn Mullards?

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #8,136 of 23,494
Hi guys. Wondering if a nooblet could get some input.

I just picked up the Fostex Massdrop TH-X00 headphones and just today have purchased a Schitt Lyr 2.

I read these cans are very sensitive and was wondering if it would be worth my time to swap out some tubes.
I am a complete noob at it as this is my first ever tube purchase. I know its hard to get a idea of how the cans sound as they are not out yet as well.

Thanks

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #8,137 of 23,494
  Hi guys. Wondering if a nooblet could get some input.

I just picked up the Fostex Massdrop TH-X00 headphones and just today have purchased a Schitt Lyr 2.

I read these cans are very sensitive and was wondering if it would be worth my time to swap out some tubes.
I am a complete noob at it as this is my first ever tube purchase. I know its hard to get a idea of how the cans sound as they are not out yet as well.

Thanks

I think the best advice is to get the amp+tubes, and cans, give it all (esp. the tubes) time so you get used to the sound, then ask again.  You may find the stock tubes suit you fine.  OTOH, you are in the tube loony bin here, which indicates you might be willing to try different tubes.  If so, welcome to Head-Fi.  Sorry about your wallet 
wink.gif

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #8,139 of 23,494
Thanks for the reply Thurston. That's probably the best advise possible, just let them break in and see how I like the sound. I have never owned a tube before.

You should feel honored to have received direct communication from ThurstonX.
He is the Prophet of Head-Fi. He can also be contracted to lead mice and
larger vermin out of your area with his magic flute...if the price is right.

Dec 2, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #8,140 of 23,494
Thanks for the reply Thurston. That's probably the best advise possible, just let them break in and see how I like the sound. I have never owned a tube before.

Dont have a Lyr with me anymore, but I would think the solid state tubes sold by Schiit might work well with the TH-X00, or an otherwise clear and "neutral" tube.

Dec 2, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #8,141 of 23,494
They're getting pretty hard to find these days. Early to mid 60's, is my recommendation. Look for the E88CC/6922 , with gold pins, with the B code. The ones I see lately are labeled GE. To me they sound identical, to the Mullard and IEC labeled ones. Just make sure that they're stamped with the B in the code. A lot of times the code is upside down on the tube. $200 and under they can be had for.
Cheers
Well
Well I've got my Heerlens and loved them. Still do so really hoping burn in solves the issue. What would be a good year and fair price for Blackburn Mullards?

Dec 3, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #8,142 of 23,494
Blackburn tubes are really getting hard to find. A ton of Mitchums out there. The ecc88 blackburns I have are really nice. Smooth as silk. Nice textured bass but lack the detail of my best tubes. And, I couldnt care less. They are unique and beautiful

Dec 3, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #8,143 of 23,494
Blackburn tubes are really getting hard to find. A ton of Mitchums out there. The ecc88 blackburns I have are really nice. Smooth as silk. Nice textured bass but lack the detail of my best tubes. And, I couldnt care less. They are unique and beautiful

Yes, I have noticed that as well. I have a pair of mid 60's Mullard Blackburn e88cc gold pin. They are one of my "keeper" pairs, along with my Valvo Yellow CCa's and Amperex Heerlen SQ e188cc's (probably went through fifteen pair to find those). On the Blackburns, the entire bass range - from lower to upper - as well as the lower midrange, is silky smooth as you described. Just a unique sound in their own right. Not quite as balanced as my best Heerlens, but nothing seduces me in the lower end like the Blackburns. Uhhh... that didn't quite come out the right way....

Dec 3, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #8,144 of 23,494
Dec 3, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #8,145 of 23,494
  I bow low to the engineers and Girls of Philips.

After confirming that one of a pair of E88CCs from 1970 is, in fact, dodgy (slightly hummy, not outputting like the other), I rolled a pair of 1958/1959 'D' getter ECC88 Bugle Boys.  Suddenly it's all goin' on.  Mids, bass, details, stage.  These might be my official Steely Dan tubes...
wink.gif
  I'll put these up to the Pepsi Challenge with any of my other Heerlens.  Just gotta baby 'em a bit, as they won't last 10,000 hours.  I think that guy in Oz might be missing these.  At least he was an honest eBayer.  This Fosters is for you, mate
beerchug.gif

Official Heerlen fanboy 

I'm waiting for a pair of '58 D-Getter bugle boys myself, now you got me all excited, they are still on the way though:)

Luckily I also received the DeoxIT Gold along with some tubemonger socket savers and herbie's dampers (savers + dampers mostly for style points :D)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back