Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Oct 20, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #7,711 of 23,494
I believe those are 1968 , E88CC's, from the Munich plant. They look legit in the pics. Should sound pretty good. The actual code is A4-8L.
Cheers

Thanks, need to read up on all this better then. Don't want to spam this thread.
All of you mega helpful.
My wife would hate you though for facilitating this new hobby :)

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #7,712 of 23,494
Thanks, need to read up on all this better then. Don't want to spam this thread.
All of you mega helpful.
My wife would hate you though for facilitating this new hobby
smily_headphones1.gif

re: your new tubes, that's a nice price for those.  Too bad about the shipping 
wink.gif
  That seller does charge a lot to ship.  Seriously though, all in all a very good deal.

Just so you know what you got, and to help you read eBay sellers' listings...

"CCa" was a special designation for E88CC tubes that passed a series of rigorous tests imposed by the German Post/Telegraph Office.  Other than the tests passed, the tubes are exactly the same.  The printing was put on after the tests were passed, or not.

Why does this matter?  Because as you can see from that listing, and countless others, the seller usually lists the actual type first (in this case E88CC which is printed on the tube), followed by other types which are basically equivalents.  I assume they do this so their listings show up in various searches.

I won't bore or confuse you with more info.  If you want to learn about tubes, here are a couple very good resources you should bookmark:

http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#6DJ8

both cover the "officially" supported Lyr/2 tube types.  The Lyr can use others that the Lyr 2 can't.

Hope that helps.  Enjoy your new tubes 
smily_headphones1.gif
  FWIW, I like all my Siemens.  To give you an idea of what they can go for, I paid $200+ for 1969 CCas, and $150 for 1963 E88CCs.  See, you got a very good deal.

As for your wife, just tell her that your tubes are like her jewelry.  My wife accepted that 
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #7,714 of 23,494

As for your wife, just tell her that your tubes are like her jewelry.  My wife accepted that 
wink.gif

That's brilliant!

Oct 21, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #7,715 of 23,494

wink.gif
  That seller does charge a lot to ship.  Seriously though, all in all a very good deal.

"CCa" was a special designation for E88CC tubes that passed a series of rigorous tests imposed by the German Post/Telegraph Office.  Other than the tests passed, the tubes are exactly the same.  The printing was put on after the tests were passed, or not.

Why does this matter?  Because as you can see from that listing, and countless others, the seller usually lists the actual type first (in this case E88CC which is printed on the tube), followed by other types which are basically equivalents.  I assume they do this so their listings show up in various searches.

I won't bore or confuse you with more info.  If you want to learn about tubes, here are a couple very good resources you should bookmark:

both cover the "officially" supported Lyr/2 tube types.  The Lyr can use others that the Lyr 2 can't.

smily_headphones1.gif
  FWIW, I like all my Siemens.  To give you an idea of what they can go for, I paid $200+ for 1969 CCas, and $150 for 1963 E88CCs.  See, you got a very good deal.

wink.gif

I once tried to equate pairs of tubes and pairs of shoes.  It did not go well...

Oct 21, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #7,717 of 23,494
I believe those are 1968 , E88CC's, from the Munich plant. They look legit in the pics. Should sound pretty good. The actual code is A4-8L.
Cheers

Ah that's the code bit not NR2.... Got it.
Any clue what NR2 means?

Oct 21, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #7,718 of 23,494
Cheers

Any clue what NR2 means?

Quote:

wink.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

wink.gif

Cheers, those two links i've seem before and have some good information.
Just a bit hard to work out where to start.

Had a feeling I wouldn't be getting "CCas" so cheap, have to watch that in future.

Not sure my wife would accept that.... :)

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #7,719 of 23,494
Love how some eBay sellers insist on labeling E88CC's as 6N23P/6DJ8/6922/7308/ECC88/E88CC/E188CC/E288CC/CV2492/CV2493/CV4108/CV5358/CV5472/CCa

Here are some actual CCa's that test alright:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151844840209

Oct 21, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #7,721 of 23,494
Got my bifrost and lyr 2 this morning.  Hooked it all up, turned it on, let it sit for ten minutes and plugged my LCD2's in.  HFS, this schitt is absurd.  I'm considering the gold lions, but the stock setup is pretty amazing to my ears.  Will they add more substance to the low end?  Or what should I get for more impactful low frequencies?  Only place I'm not one hundred percent taken back.

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #7,723 of 23,494
Any clue what NR2 means?

NR2 probably means it was this seller's second auction of the same type of tube (according to him) :)

I actually got these http://www.ebay.com/itm/391284720163

Siemens E88CC 1970 and 1971 A-Frame Gold pins from the same seller and they sound amazing - much better than stock and also to my ears a lot better than amperex orange globes I got from mercedesman on ebay. So now I'm pondering how much of an upgrade would the serbian CCa's be - and also his auctions have been up for a while is there anything wrong with them?

I'm really thinking about that A1-6A/06 137 but I can't make the call as the 70/71 A-Frame pair sounds so great.

www.ebay.com/itm/151753633717

www.ebay.com/itm/151844840209

Oct 22, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #7,724 of 23,494
  NR2 probably means it was this seller's second auction of the same type of tube (according to him) :)

I'm really thinking about that A1-6A/06 137 but I can't make the call as the 70/71 A-Frame pair sounds so great.

www.ebay.com/itm/151753633717

www.ebay.com/itm/151844840209

NR2... Number 2... Yup that makes sense now!

Was looking at those two myself but was put off by them being used not NOS.
$180 is still a lot of money to me, i'll carry on trying to get a bargin by sniping last second fleabays to get my pair of CCa's :)

Oct 22, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #7,725 of 23,494
  NR2... Number 2... Yup that makes sense now!

Was looking at those two myself but was put off by them being used not NOS.
$180 is still a lot of money to me, i'll carry on trying to get a bargin by sniping last second fleabays to get my pair of CCa's :)

Haha it is quite a lot of money, but if you buy several cheaper tubes then suddenly you've spent more than 180$. The question is how worth it are those CCa's and you can't tell until you listen :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back