Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Oct 18, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #7,697 of 23,494
Oct 18, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #7,698 of 23,494
  I've ordered some pullers that were recommended.

But in the mean time if you put a piece of cling film on the tube (when it's cooled) it's much easier to grip and needs less rocking.

The tool mentioned above is nice and I consider it a must have.

Another thing that makes it easier is wearing rubber gloves like dishwashing gloves or nitrile gloves. They help you grip the top of the tube better. 

If you install socket savers, this will also make it much easier to remove tubes since they will sit higher out. 

Note also, that the tube socket itself will loosen up as your insert and remove tubes multiple times. It's super tight when brand new but does get looser over multiple tube swaps

Oct 18, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #7,699 of 23,494
Oct 19, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #7,701 of 23,494

Another thing that makes it easier is wearing rubber gloves like dishwashing gloves or nitrile gloves. They help you grip the top of the tube better. 

If you install socket savers, this will also make it much easier to remove tubes since they will sit higher out. 

Note also, that the tube socket itself will loosen up as your insert and remove tubes multiple times. It's super tight when brand new but does get looser over multiple tube swaps

For sure, they work very well. Good advice... Also what works surprisingly well is the rubbery/stretchy fabric used for some bra straps. It seems to grip the tubes very well without costing a whole lot of money (dishwashing and nitrile gloves are cheap, but we usually don't have any at home). You also don't necessarily need to destroy the bra to use it, just slip it off when you're ready to roll in a new set of tubes. (If you are single/or otherwise, I guess maybe just go with the tube saver/glove method.)

I don't know why this fabric works so well, but I think it's just a mixture of components that seem to be perfect for holding things in place.

Oct 19, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #7,702 of 23,494
  For sure, they work very well. Good advice... Also what works surprisingly well is the rubbery/stretchy fabric used for some bra straps. It seems to grip the tubes very well without costing a whole lot of money (dishwashing and nitrile gloves are cheap, but we usually don't have any at home). You also don't necessarily need to destroy the bra to use it, just slip it off when you're ready to roll in a new set of tubes. (If you are single/or otherwise, I guess maybe just go with the tube saver/glove method.)

I don't know why this fabric works so well, but I think it's just a mixture of components that seem to be perfect for holding things in place.

Funny. I wonder how well it would go over asking your wife or girlfriend to take off her bra because you need to swap some tubes in your amp in order to listen to some music... 

Oct 19, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #7,703 of 23,494

I tried the tool but found it hard to get a purchase with the tube so low down.

Looking at socket savers now.
Is there a much difference it quality between types?
Also how do you extract the saver afterwards?

Oct 19, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #7,704 of 23,494
Originally Posted by oAmadeuso /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You basically can't. So they stay in the amp forever. Some of them will come out with the tube as you pull the tube, but it's not guaranteed. 

Oct 19, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #7,705 of 23,494

You basically can't. So they stay in the amp forever. Some of them will come out with the tube as you pull the tube, but it's not guaranteed. 

You can get the socket savers out of the Lyr, though there's not much point in removing them once they're inserted... unless you're sending your Lyr/2 in for repairs.  I got them out by using a piece of wood (like a tongue depressor or popsicle stick) to rock them back and forth to loosen them, and finally needle nose pliers to pull them out.  Yes, it was a big PITA, and the housing (more like the Tubemonger label) of the savers got scuffed up, but they still work fine.

I'd definitely try using a tube to get them out before resorting to the above method.  I just figured Schiit wouldn't want to see them in there when I had to ship the amp back to them.

Oct 19, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #7,706 of 23,494
You can get the socket savers out of the Lyr, though there's not much point in removing them once they're inserted... unless you're sending your Lyr/2 in for repairs.  I got them out by using a piece of wood (like a tongue depressor or popsicle stick) to rock them back and forth to loosen them, and finally needle nose pliers to pull them out.  Yes, it was a big PITA, and the housing (more like the Tubemonger label) of the savers got scuffed up, but they still work fine.

I'd definitely try using a tube to get them out before resorting to the above method.  I just figured Schiit wouldn't want to see them in there when I had to ship the amp back to them.

Bit nervous of damaging my Lyr but might take a chance.
Any brands to recommend?

Oct 19, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #7,707 of 23,494
Bit nervous of damaging my Lyr but might take a chance.
Any brands to recommend?

I use the latest version from Tubemonger.  I knew I'd be rolling tubes constantly, so I just went for theirs straight away.  If that's too expensive for you, look on eBay for the cheaper ones.  I can't compare, as I've only used Tubemonger's, but I know I've read opinions that the cheap ones are just fine.

Socket savers won't damage your Lyr.  The whole point of them is to extend the life of the Lyr's sockets.  And since that's their purpose, you need to ensure that the savers stay seated in the Lyr when rolling tubes.  I use the same aforementioned piece of wood to hold the savers in place when pulling tubes.  It is very easy for tubes to pull out the savers, at least at first.  The sockets may loosen up a bit with use, and esp. if you treat your tubes' pins with something like DeoxIT Gold.

Hope that helps.

Oct 19, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #7,708 of 23,494

Go with the novib socket savers from tubemonger.

http://www.tubemonger.com/NOVIB_Socket_Saver_1960s_NOS_British_McMurdo_B9A_p/novib-mcmurdo.htm

Yes. They are expensive, and it killed me to pay for two of them. I think I paid $25 for the old model. However, if you are going to be swapping tubes more than a few times a year, they are worth every cent.

Steal a coffee stirrer from StarBucks. They overcharged you for crappy burnt coffee, anyway. You can use cheap non-sterile gloves or these (URI below) to keep hand oil off the tubes. To remove the tubes, use the stirrer to hold/push the socket saver as you remove the tube using small circles.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PVLGNFE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Make sure to order the right size. They do stretch a bit. Twelve pairs will last you a very long time.

Oct 19, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #7,709 of 23,494
I use the latest version from Tubemonger.  I knew I'd be rolling tubes constantly, so I just went for theirs straight away.  If that's too expensive for you, look on eBay for the cheaper ones.  I can't compare, as I've only used Tubemonger's, but I know I've read opinions that the cheap ones are just fine.

Socket savers won't damage your Lyr.  The whole point of them is to extend the life of the Lyr's sockets.  And since that's their purpose, you need to ensure that the savers stay seated in the Lyr when rolling tubes.  I use the same aforementioned piece of wood to hold the savers in place when pulling tubes.  It is very easy for tubes to pull out the savers, at least at first.  The sockets may loosen up a bit with use, and esp. if you treat your tubes' pins with something like DeoxIT Gold.

Hope that helps.
Go with the novib socket savers from tubemonger.

http://www.tubemonger.com/NOVIB_Socket_Saver_1960s_NOS_British_McMurdo_B9A_p/novib-mcmurdo.htm

Yes. They are expensive, and it killed me to pay for two of them. I think I paid $25 for the old model. However, if you are going to be swapping tubes more than a few times a year, they are worth every cent.

Steal a coffee stirrer from StarBucks. They overcharged you for crappy burnt coffee, anyway. You can use cheap non-sterile gloves or these (URI below) to keep hand oil off the tubes. To remove the tubes, use the stirrer to hold/push the socket saver as you remove the tube using small circles.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PVLGNFE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Make sure to order the right size. They do stretch a bit. Twelve pairs will last you a very long time.

Cheers both, I've ordered a pair of those.
This hobby.... not cheap!

[EDIT]
Just wanted to add that I am grateful for all the help I have gotten in this thread with my new hobby.
Really caught the bug so much I dived into some last minute eBay auctions for some Siemens E88CCs without researching if they were any good.

Auction 1, beaten
Auction 2 a minute later, beaten again
Beaten and desperate for new tubes I notice the seller has one more listing about to end and I bid....
Auction 3..... SUCCESS!
Now just got to work out exactly what I bought.... says "CCa" in the description but "CC" on the tube.
Says "Made in Germany" but the code "NR2".. Made in Japan?

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #7,710 of 23,494
I believe those are 1968 , E88CC's, from the Munich plant. They look legit in the pics. Should sound pretty good. The actual code is A4-8L.
Cheers
Cheers both, I've ordered a pair of those.
This hobby.... not cheap!

[EDIT]
Just wanted to add that I am grateful for all the help I have gotten in this thread with my new hobby.
Really caught the bug so much I dived into some last minute eBay auctions for some Siemens E88CCs without researching if they were any good.

Auction 1, beaten
Auction 2 a minute later, beaten again
Beaten and desperate for new tubes I notice the seller has one more listing about to end and I bid....
Auction 3..... SUCCESS!
Now just got to work out exactly what I bought.... says "CCa" in the description but "CC" on the tube.
Says "Made in Germany" but the code "NR2".. Made in Japan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back