Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Sep 17, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #7,471 of 23,494
  As far as harder to find Miniwatt stamped tubes go, I have a pair of E88CC D-getter Miniwatt's (non-pinched waist) that I enjoy more than most of my E188CC's. They don't have the E188CC treble clarity, but they somehow manage an immensely wide presentation. It sounds to me like sitting in the sweet spot with a good speaker system... beautiful midrange, and thoroughly enjoyable. Not as clean up top as the E188CC's, but still fairly refined sounding, and linear throughout.

I find the Holland pinched waist tubes tend to really flesh out detail in spades. It's a different presentation than the Siemens CCa, which are also very good at presenting atmospheric detail, but in my opinion, at the cost of doing some weird exaggeration of treble. The CCa's seem to me to pull off their detailed sound in the way the HD-800's bring some added energy up top... the very good ones sounding airy and detailed... yet from what I've experienced, most tend to sound a bit etched (this is for me the E88CC vs E188CC difference, and makes sense since the CCa's are E88CC tubes).

Going back to what the pinched waist tubes do well; I think it's overall tonality, timbre, and body. As a nitpick, they don't have the attack/decay as precise as the Telefunken tubes, but I tend to prefer the PW presentation for most genres. I also rank the sound of the PW's above any/all E188CC tubes I've heard. For me, the PW tubes absolutely sound different and preferable to the others. Bill has described them as an E188CC Miniwatt on steroids, and I absolutely agree.

Nice review and impressions Mike, thanks...

Sep 18, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #7,472 of 23,494
  As far as harder to find Miniwatt stamped tubes go, I have a pair of E88CC D-getter Miniwatt's (non-pinched waist) that I enjoy more than most of my E188CC's. They don't have the E188CC treble clarity, but they somehow manage an immensely wide presentation. It sounds to me like sitting in the sweet spot with a good speaker system... beautiful midrange, and thoroughly enjoyable. Not as clean up top as the E188CC's, but still fairly refined sounding, and linear throughout.

I find the Holland pinched waist tubes tend to really flesh out detail in spades. It's a different presentation than the Siemens CCa, which are also very good at presenting atmospheric detail, but in my opinion, at the cost of doing some weird exaggeration of treble. The CCa's seem to me to pull off their detailed sound in the way the HD-800's bring some added energy up top... the very good ones sounding airy and detailed... yet from what I've experienced, most tend to sound a bit etched (this is for me the E88CC vs E188CC difference, and makes sense since the CCa's are E88CC tubes).

Going back to what the pinched waist tubes do well; I think it's overall tonality, timbre, and body. As a nitpick, they don't have the attack/decay as precise as the Telefunken tubes, but I tend to prefer the PW presentation for most genres. I also rank the sound of the PW's above any/all E188CC tubes I've heard. For me, the PW tubes absolutely sound different and preferable to the others. Bill has described them as an E188CC Miniwatt on steroids, and I absolutely agree.

Virtuoso description...the read rivals the listening experience.  You should run for Mayor of Heerlen.  Campaign slogan:  "A Miniwatt in every house.  A chicken in every pot.  A delta symbol mouse pad by every computer !!!" 

Sep 19, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #7,473 of 23,494
Heerlen E188CCs.... plenty to go around:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-E188CC-Miniwatt-S-Q-Double-Triode-Audio-Amp-Tubes-List-of-Same-Codes-/252097286508?

and I was ready to rock a pair, until I saw that the price is for a single tube.  Bugger it,

Sep 20, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #7,474 of 23,494
  Heerlen E188CCs.... plenty to go around:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-E188CC-Miniwatt-S-Q-Double-Triode-Audio-Amp-Tubes-List-of-Same-Codes-/252097286508?

and I was ready to rock a pair, until I saw that the price is for a single tube.  Bugger it,

Nice. I agree that they're overly expensive... "VK6" - obviously the seller isn't well versed with respect to 7308's. Bet they sound nice though.

Sep 20, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #7,475 of 23,494
  Nice. I agree that they're overly expensive... "VK6" - obviously the seller isn't well versed with respect to 7308's. Bet they sound nice though.

The seller's Bulgarian, so I just assumed something was lost in translation... 
wink.gif
  Jan. 1966 would be great, but not at that price.  His inventory seems pretty good, so maybe people will not buy, then he'll drop his prices.  I'm watching 
ph34r.gif

Sep 22, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #7,477 of 23,494
Is there any consensus on a good tube match with the Lyr 2 and Audeze LCD-2?

Haven't got the spare cash to get too many bad matches just now!

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #7,478 of 23,494
Hello Tubes experts!

I bought this pair of Siemens CCA

there is slight difference between the 2 tubes.

Do you think i can still use them together?

some pictures:

thanks in advance for your help.

Sep 23, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #7,479 of 23,494
  Hello Tubes experts!

I bought this pair of Siemens CCA

there is slight difference between the 2 tubes.

Do you think i can still use them together?

some pictures:

thanks in advance for your help.

Sure, there's no reason you can't use them together.  They're both the same type from the same factory.

If you're curious about the dates, the one with the stamped metal plate inside is from October 1965 (5J), while the other is from April 1962 (2D etched on the tube).  They're the same type, just made 2.5 years apart.  Both are from Munich (that's the = with the | through it).  Roll 'em and enjoy 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #7,481 of 23,494
Sure, there's no reason you can't use them together.  They're both the same type from the same factory.

If you're curious about the dates, the one with the stamped metal plate inside is from October 1965 (5J), while the other is from April 1962 (2D etched on the tube).  They're the same type, just made 2.5 years apart.  Both are from Munich (that's the = with the | through it).  Roll 'em and enjoy :)  

Thanks a lot for your post.

I did install them yesterday.

I was not able to listen more than 5 minutes but I did notice an amazing clarify.

Cheers

Sep 23, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #7,482 of 23,494
Thanks a lot for your post.

I did install them yesterday.

I was not able to listen more than 5 minutes but I did notice an amazing clarify.

Cheers

Happy to help 
smily_headphones1.gif
  Yep, that's what those Siemens are known for.  Keep us posted as your listening progresses.  I just realized my pair from 1969 have been neglected for a year!  Too many tubes
wink.gif
  Time to compare them to those pinched waist E88CCs from Heerlen.  What cans are you using?

Sep 23, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #7,483 of 23,494
All right, Ladies & Gentlemen, time to get out your virtual wallets!  
biggrin.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-E188CC-CCa-TELEFUNKEN-BOXED-NOS-DIAMOND-/221892328510?

popcorn.gif

Sep 23, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #7,484 of 23,494
Happy to help :)   Yep, that's what those Siemens are known for.  Keep us posted as your listening progresses.  I just realized my pair from 1969 have been neglected for a year!  Too many tubes :wink:   Time to compare them to those pinched waist E88CCs from Heerlen.  What cans are you using?

Lcd2.2f mainly

Sep 24, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #7,485 of 23,494
  All right, Ladies & Gentlemen, time to get out your virtual wallets!  
biggrin.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-E188CC-CCa-TELEFUNKEN-BOXED-NOS-DIAMOND-/221892328510?

popcorn.gif

Holy Mother of Jesus....

Hey how ARE those Heerlen PW's coming along ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back