Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Aug 27, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #7,321 of 23,494
I really wish there was some tube list online somewhere that said basically things like (just made up examples):

Amperex Orange Globes- warm, good mids, smooth highs
Telefunken whatever - full range, harsh highs. 

I hear about all kinds of expensive tubes that are supposed to be good like Mullard, Siemens, Telefunken, etc. etc. but have no idea what the sound difference is between them and why they might be good.

That was my goal this summer but unfortunately thugs kept getting in the way. For now there's websites out there with what you're looking for. Starting out I would stick to learning about the different tubes. When I get home tomorrow I'll link you some stuff I have bookmarked.

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #7,322 of 23,494
That's the move I made. My Valvo CCa's are absolute end game for me. I've compared pretty much every high end tube you can get for the lyr. Hands down, heerlen , to my ears. You can look for some nice e188cc's , as well. Cheers
Hey guys I'm itching for a richer sound profile (thinking ccA herleens if I can find a pair ) so I'm putting up my reflektorHG 75's swgp for sale this weekend. They have about 250 hours on them so if you're interested shoot me a message otherwise I'll post em up tomorrow.

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #7,323 of 23,494
That's the move I made. My Valvo CCa's are absolute end game for me. I've compared pretty much every high end tube you can get for the lyr. Hands down, heerlen , to my ears. You can look for some nice e188cc's , as well. Cheers

How would you describe the sound signature on the Valvo CCA's?

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #7,328 of 23,494
Seems like the Valvos can cost as much as pretty good amp. 
basshead.gif

Question- what do folks here thing of cryo treated tubes? I noticed some outfits sell them like that as an upgrade. Is it just snake oil?

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #7,329 of 23,494
  Seems like the Valvos can cost as much as pretty good amp. 
basshead.gif

Question- what do folks here thing of cryo treated tubes? I noticed some outfits sell them like that as an upgrade. Is it just snake oil?

Why would I want a process done to my tubes that changes the physical composition of them? I like the sound and longevity of them as they are. And who knows what it does in the long term?

That's how I look at it.

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #7,330 of 23,494

Why would I want a process done to my tubes that changes the physical composition of them? I like the sound and longevity of them as they are. And who knows what it does in the long term?

That's how I look at it.

Yeah, makes sense. There seems to be a lot of hype among the companies that sell tubes for sure. 

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #7,331 of 23,494

Yeah, makes sense. There seems to be a lot of hype among the companies that sell tubes for sure. 

I resisted tubes themselves for many years but now I'm a believer in the wider soundstage and the subtle sound differences of different tubes because I can hear it. Maybe I'll get a pair of used tubes that have been cryo'd and then I'll discover that makes a difference in the sound, but until then I'm squeamish about messing with my tubes!

I didn't think cables made any difference because the wire that runs from the connector to the driver can't be changed, and then Dan of MrSpeakers said he thought the same thing until they went through the DUM cable design process which changed his mind, so maybe I don't know everything I think I know. 
biggrin.gif

And yes, there is a lot of snake oil in the sound business in general. I prefer to be a skeptic until I prove to myself I'm wrong.

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #7,332 of 23,494
  It is where in the amp the tube is used.  There is a preamp section and power output section in all headphone amps.  If they didn't have the preamp phase they would ALWAYS output full power into the headphones and you would have no volume control.  This is controlled through the potentiometer (pot) in the volume control knob.  Basically the signal comes in hit the preamp phase then runs through the pot and then through the output phase.  The Asgard uses a solid state preamp phase and a solid state output phase. The Valhalla uses a tube preamp phase and tube output phase. The Lyr uses a tube preamp phase (or solid state with the LISST) and solid state output phase, hence the listing as a hybrid tube amp when using with tubes and is basically an Asgard on steroids with the LISST.  The preamp outputs on the Asgard 2, Valhalla 2, and Lyr 2 run the signal through the preamp phase and the pot then out the back through rca and don't touch the output phase; when you plug in a pair of headphones it switches the output through the output phase and out the headphone output. 

Hope this helps.

Thanks!
This was very informative. It helped a lot. 
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back