Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Aug 25, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #7,306 of 23,494
Aug 25, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #7,307 of 23,494
Now, I sort of came to a decision, I found two pairs that I like:

http://tubeworldexpress.com/products/copy-of-6922-e88cc-telefunken-germany-nos-1960s-p1
and
http://tubeworldexpress.com/products/copy-of-6922-amperex-usa-pq-used-very-good-1965-1-pair

Now, the first is said to be the best price to performance, but the second one finished higher on the world rating list and is cheaper as well. 
Also, isn't that odd that the first one is a tesla, made in czech republic, but there is telefunken germany written in the link?
For me the most important attributes are: (these names are used in rb2013's 6922 review) Flow, Detail, Clarity, and most importantly Scale/Macro-Dynamics! Of course, the other ones shouldn't lack either, but this is my main preference. 
If these tubes lack those, are there any in this price range?

Thanks!
o2smile.gif

Aug 25, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #7,308 of 23,494
  Now, I sort of came to a decision, I found two pairs that I like:

http://tubeworldexpress.com/products/copy-of-6922-e88cc-telefunken-germany-nos-1960s-p1
and
http://tubeworldexpress.com/products/copy-of-6922-amperex-usa-pq-used-very-good-1965-1-pair

Now, the first is said to be the best price to performance, but the second one finished higher on the world rating list and is cheaper as well. 
Also, isn't that odd that the first one is a tesla, made in czech republic, but there is telefunken germany written in the link?
For me the most important attributes are: (these names are used in rb2013's 6922 review) Flow, Detail, Clarity, and most importantly Scale/Macro-Dynamics! Of course, the other ones shouldn't lack either, but this is my main preference. 
If these tubes lack those, are there any in this price range?

Thanks!
o2smile.gif

The text in the first link might say "telefunken-germany", but clearly the tubes shown are Tesla E88CCs, originally made in Czechoslovakia.  You can find the same on eBay for less (nearing half price).  Whether or not they test as well as stated on that page, you'll have to research.  They're good tubes (I have two pairs from the '60s), but I wouldn't pay that much for them; or even more than about $90.  Oh, and those are the '80s, so maybe $70-$75.

So, chalk that up to a typo/error from the seller.  Pretty sure Bob didn't include those in his shootout.

I'm not sure about the test results for the Amperex 6922s.  They're not NOS, as noted.  Seems a little steep for used tubes, but at least the seller is honest.  Might be worth checking eBay to see if you can find an NOS pair, and how the prices compare.

Aug 25, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #7,309 of 23,494

The text in the first link might say "telefunken-germany", but clearly the tubes shown are Tesla E88CCs, originally made in Czechoslovakia.  You can find the same on eBay for less (nearing half price).  Whether or not they test as well as stated on that page, you'll have to research.  They're good tubes (I have two pairs from the '60s), but I wouldn't pay that much for them; or even more than about $90.  Oh, and those are the '80s, so maybe $70-$75.

So, chalk that up to a typo/error from the seller.  Pretty sure Bob didn't include those in his shootout.

I'm not sure about the test results for the Amperex 6922s.  They're not NOS, as noted.  Seems a little steep for used tubes, but at least the seller is honest.  Might be worth checking eBay to see if you can find an NOS pair, and how the prices compare.

Thanks, I will surely watch out for a better offer on ebay :)

The older the better?

Aug 25, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #7,310 of 23,494
  Thanks, I will surely watch out for a better offer on ebay :)

The older the better?

Some people think so, all things being equal.  Of course, rarely are all things equal, so you need to take into account various factors, esp. test results.  You might end up paying less for a pair of 1969 <insert tube type here> that test better than a pair of 1961 of the same type and manufacturer.  Whether one is really better than the other is a matter of opinion, and of course, one would have to hear both to know for sure.  Sometimes sellers don't know what they have, and you can get a really good deal.  Sometimes sellers overprice their vintage tubes by several factors.  That's always worth a chuckle.

Aug 26, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #7,311 of 23,494
At last... pinched waist 'D' getter E88CCs!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252067376874

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........ 
wink.gif
  Simply couldn't pass them up at that price.  Hopefully they'll be in good shape.  I've got a week to find out before the MBG expires.

Aug 26, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #7,312 of 23,494
  At last... pinched waist 'D' getter E88CCs!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252067376874

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........ 
wink.gif
  Simply couldn't pass them up at that price.  Hopefully they'll be in good shape.  I've got a week to find out before the MBG expires.

Are you going to try these out with the Mjolnir 2 as well ? :)

Aug 26, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #7,313 of 23,494
  Are you going to try these out with the Mjolnir 2 as well ? :)

If you buy me a Mjolnir 2 for my birthday, of course!  Be sure to specify "LISST Only" in the Tube/SS option 
biggrin.gif

In all seriousness, assuming the tubes are functional and don't sound like schiit, I'll be using them in the Lyr, with it acting as an amp, and as a pre-amp to my Fusion Flex (coming today!).  Of course, I'll be doing that comparison with most of my tubes over time.

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #7,314 of 23,494
By the way guys, there is something I still don't understand. 

No matter which site i look for tubes, the types that the (for example) Lyr and every other Headphone amp uses are under the preamp tube category. But, as far as I know, it is used in a Headphone poweramp, not a preamp. While I know that poweramps are generally speaker amps, Headphone amps aren't preamps.

So this is something.

Aug 26, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #7,315 of 23,494

No matter which site i look for tubes, the types that the (for example) Lyr and every other Headphone amp uses are under the preamp tube category. But, as far as I know, it is used in a Headphone poweramp, not a preamp. While I know that poweramps are generally speaker amps, Headphone amps aren't preamps.

So this is something.

The Lyr is a preamp
smily_headphones1.gif
  I'll be using mine that way within the next few days, once I can make my headphone adapter cable for my speaker amp.

Don't get hung up on how sellers specify the tubes.  If the tube type is supported, it'll work.

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #7,317 of 23,494
Yes. The lyr is a preamp as well. Don't let that deter you. All 6922/e88cc , and the like , are compatible. Here's my Lyr on preamp duty, permanently :wink:

So this is something.

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #7,318 of 23,494
I really wish there was some tube list online somewhere that said basically things like (just made up examples):

Amperex Orange Globes- warm, good mids, smooth highs
Telefunken whatever - full range, harsh highs. 

I hear about all kinds of expensive tubes that are supposed to be good like Mullard, Siemens, Telefunken, etc. etc. but have no idea what the sound difference is between them and why they might be good.

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #7,319 of 23,494

So this is something.

It is where in the amp the tube is used.  There is a preamp section and power output section in all headphone amps.  If they didn't have the preamp phase they would ALWAYS output full power into the headphones and you would have no volume control.  This is controlled through the potentiometer (pot) in the volume control knob.  Basically the signal comes in hit the preamp phase then runs through the pot and then through the output phase.  The Asgard uses a solid state preamp phase and a solid state output phase. The Valhalla uses a tube preamp phase and tube output phase. The Lyr uses a tube preamp phase (or solid state with the LISST) and solid state output phase, hence the listing as a hybrid tube amp when using with tubes and is basically an Asgard on steroids with the LISST.  The preamp outputs on the Asgard 2, Valhalla 2, and Lyr 2 run the signal through the preamp phase and the pot then out the back through rca and don't touch the output phase; when you plug in a pair of headphones it switches the output through the output phase and out the headphone output. 

Hope this helps.

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #7,320 of 23,494
Hey guys I'm itching for a richer sound profile (thinking ccA herleens if I can find a pair ) so I'm putting up my reflektorHG 75's swgp for sale this weekend. They have about 250 hours on them so if you're interested shoot me a message otherwise I'll post em up tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back