Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Aug 24, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #7,291 of 23,494
Aug 24, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #7,293 of 23,494
Remember 6922 is a type of tube not a specific tube. 6922,e88cc, and others are just designations from where the tubes were made as to what standard and tolerances they were made to. So you may want to specify a little more as to what you mean.

So, ok, I thought that tubes with the same number share some similarities in their sound quality, I'm sorry, I said that I don't know much about it. But this is yet another new thing I learned today.

Aug 24, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #7,294 of 23,494
  So, ok, I thought that tubes with the same number share some similarities in their sound quality, I'm sorry, I said that I don't know much about it. But this is yet another new thing I learned today.

Nothing to be sorry about there are almost 500 pages of thing to learn in this thread.

Here are a couple more that may help you if you get a Lyr:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/755300/schiit-lyr-lyr-2-tube-compatibility-list

http://www.head-fi.org/t/761078/6922-tube-review-17-top-6922-6n23p-e88cc-cca-7308-e188cc-tubes

Hope these help...

Aug 24, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #7,295 of 23,494

It's good to start with some basics about tubes.  Since the Lyr requires two tubes, the most basic thing to remember is that you shouldn't mix tube types.  NB: doesn't mean you can't, just that doing so is less than optimal, and there's no good reason to do so.  For example, you wouldn't use one ECC88/6DJ8 (Euro/US equivalents) and one E88CC/6922 (Euro/US equivalents).  Moving on from there, you probably want two tubes made in the same factory.  Getting pickier, you might want two tubes marked with the same change code (like a revision designation).  The last one is far less important, and lots of rollers in this thread will tell you their favorite tubes were made years apart, but in the same factory.

Some tubes are rated for 5,000 hours (e.g., ECC88/6DJ8), while others are rated for 10,000 hours (e.g., E88CC/6922).

Beyond that, you need to try different tubes to see what sounds best with your specific rig. If you get into rolling, you'll pick up other things along the way (symbols for factories, production dates, etc.).

If you find some in which you're interested and have questions about the seller, the specific tubes, etc., ask here.  Someone will reply.

Have fun 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 24, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #7,296 of 23,494
As someone that also spent months (and continues to spend a fair amount of time) pouring over this and other tube/Lyr threads... You just gotta dive in.

I went German with some Telefunkens... Specifically the e88cc variety. I'm itching to buy a set of those holy grail Voskhods from 74'... Then there are those Golden Lions everyone talks about - they're (relatively) cheap, and supposedly pretty dang good. 

I so sympathize with anyone that jumps in this thread and is like "Help! what do I get started with?!" I had absolutely no idea where to start in spite of the countless hours spent reading this stuff. You just gotta dive in, dude. good luck! :)

P.S. Why am I not hearing a whole lot of LISST talk? I get it - they aren't tubes, but they sorta/kinda are... I'm pretty happy with the pair I've got. :cool:

Aug 24, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #7,297 of 23,494

P.S. Why am I not hearing a whole lot of LISST talk? I get it - they aren't tubes, but they sorta/kinda are... I'm pretty happy with the pair I'd got. 
cool.gif

I'm actually interested to know what people think of the LISST vs. some respectable NOS tubes. How do you think yours compare?

Aug 24, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #7,298 of 23,494

P.S. Why am I not hearing a whole lot of LISST talk? I get it - they aren't tubes, but they sorta/kinda are... I'm pretty happy with the pair I'd got. 
cool.gif

Not sure I even started a dedicated thread for LISST impressions so people didn't have to search through this and Mjolnir 2 threads looking for impressions and it just kind of fizzled.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/778326/schiit-lisst-impressions

Aug 24, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #7,299 of 23,494

I'm actually interested to know what people think of the LISST vs. some respectable NOS tubes. How do you think yours compare?

Not sure I even started a dedicated thread for LISST impressions so people didn't have to search through this and Mjolnir 2 threads looking for impressions and it just kind of fizzled.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/778326/schiit-lisst-impressions

There's not tons to talk about with them. They sound just like normal solid state basically. Great dynamic, full range sound. Schiit opted for a neutral sound signature for them and didn't try to tune them for any specific 'tube like' sound. 

I prefer tubes myself so will probably send mine back but there is no problem with the LISST's. 

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #7,300 of 23,494
As someone that also spent months (and continues to spend a fair amount of time) pouring over this and other tube/Lyr threads... You just gotta dive in.

I went German with some Telefunkens... Specifically the e88cc variety. I'm itching to buy a set of those holy grail Voskhods from 74'... Then there are those Golden Lions everyone talks about - they're (relatively) cheap, and supposedly pretty dang good. 

I so sympathize with anyone that jumps in this thread and is like "Help! what do I get started with?!" I had absolutely no idea where to start in spite of the countless hours spent reading this stuff. You just gotta dive in, dude. good luck! 
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. Why am I not hearing a whole lot of LISST talk? I get it - they aren't tubes, but they sorta/kinda are... I'm pretty happy with the pair I've got. 
cool.gif

Very true about diving in.  Tubes can always be resold, if one doesn't like them, or doesn't want to build a Glass Menagerie.

Just to clarify, the Russian Holy Grail tubes as identified by rb2013 are the 1975 SWGPs (Single-Wire Getter Post) Reflectors (Reflektors).  The '74 and '75 Voskhod Rockets are a notch or two below, apparently.

I really like my German tubes: Teles, esp. E88CCs; Siemens of various types; and Hamburg-made E88CCs (by Philips, labeled by "Valvo").

While I enjoyed the initial research, it did take a lot of time and reading.  Once the basics and a few specifics were well and truly ingrained in me brain, most of the niggly details fell into place more easily.

People have ordered the LISST, but I don't think they've received them, or had enough time with them yet.  Glad to hear they're working for you.  I'll add them eventually (Christmas?), but I opted for an Emotiva Fusion Flex and a pair of Polk RTiA1s in the last few days.  I blame @Guidostrunk 
wink.gif

Aug 24, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #7,301 of 23,494
Very true about diving in.  Tubes can always be resold, if one doesn't like them, or doesn't want to build a Glass Menagerie.

Just to clarify, the Russian Holy Grail tubes as identified by rb2013 are the 1975 SWGPs (Single-Wire Getter Post).  The '74 and '75 Voskhod Rockets are a notch or two below, apparently.

I really like my German tubes: Teles, esp. E88CCs; Siemens of various types; and Hamburg-made E88CCs (by Philips, labeled by "Valvo").

While I enjoyed the initial research, it did take a lot of time and reading.  Once the basics and a few specifics were well and truly ingrained in me brain, most of the niggly details fell into place more easily.

People have ordered the LISST, but I don't think they've received them, or had enough time with them yet.  Glad to hear they're working for you.  I'll add them eventually (Christmas?), but I opted for an Emotiva Fusion Flex and a pair of Polk RTiA1s in the last few days.  I blame @Guidostrunk
 :wink:

D'oh! I always forget which year those HGs are... :wink:

Aug 24, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #7,302 of 23,494

Got my LISST today and didn't give them long to warm up before I pulled them out of the MJ2 and went back to NOS tubes. They sound flat and cold, you know, solid state. Once I heard the holographic, open sound of nice tubes, that's what I like and the LISST just don't do it for me. I'll give them another chance when I'm doing something with music playing in the background.

Aug 24, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #7,303 of 23,494
I totally missed the Schitt LISST tubes. I just received an order from them a couple weeks ago for a fulla for my tablet. *sigh*

I want a pair! (used works :)

Aug 24, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #7,305 of 23,494
I’m looking at a Lyr possibly for my TH500RP. Does anyone have any experience with Amperex PQ 6922 orange label? I have a pair that I got for another amp but never used, these aren't the gold pin version. I'm looking for something on the warm/musical side, but still with qualities of SS which is why I’m looking at a hybrid. If anyone knows about the PQs thanks for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back