Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
May 20, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #6,811 of 23,494

You can't run a 12-volt tube in the Lyr.  See this thread for compatible types: http://www.head-fi.org/t/755300/schiit-lyr-lyr-2-tube-compatibility-list

Happy rolling 
smily_headphones1.gif

Good job 'Rangy! 6 volt only!
Just because the size and pin pattern will fit-does not mean the tubes are a go.

May 20, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #6,812 of 23,494
  Good job 'Rangy! 6 volt only!
Just because the size and pin pattern will fit-does not mean the tubes are a go.

LOL.  He was just the first to see the post.  No doubt others would have answered it, too.  And as far as orangutans vs. chimps goes, Rangy is but one.  No thousand chimps needed to type his response 
wink.gif

May 20, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #6,813 of 23,494

LOL.  He was just the first to see the post.  No doubt others would have answered it, too.  And as far as orangutans vs. chimps goes, Rangy is but one.  No thousand chimps needed to type his response 
wink.gif

+1 Rangy saves another Lyr from sudden death...

May 20, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #6,814 of 23,494
  It's been a while since I've been here. But I'm back to ask kindly for advice. Just picked up a lyr2 and looking for recommendations. Current headphones are hd650 with the Ether by Mr. Speakers on the way. Looking for a little warmth on the bottom end and sweet mids. Ultimate clarity is not what I'm after. 

Would like to spend between $50-100.

Thanks for your time guys!!

I would skip the vokshods if you arent looking for airy clarity, I haven't found them to be warm at all, you're looking for the holland amperex line those tubes emphasize warm sound. look for Orange Globes (67' or 69') in that price range.

(to be honest though pick up some 75' Vokshod grey plates from rb2013 and compare them, I found the warmth provided by the OG's overwhelming with the 650/LCD 2)

May 20, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #6,815 of 23,494

You can't run a 12-volt tube in the Lyr.  See this thread for compatible types: http://www.head-fi.org/t/755300/schiit-lyr-lyr-2-tube-compatibility-list

By design, 12AU7 / 12AT7 / 12AX7 can be run in either 6.3 volt mode or 12.6 volt mode.  In the Lyr, one could use adapters such as these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-adapters-for-12AU7-ECC82-to-instead-6CG7-6AQ8-ECC88-TUBES-amplifier-/261667818185?

This adapter realigns the pins of a 12AU7 to work in a 6DJ8 socket and configures the tube for 6.3 volt heaters.

That said, given that the Lyr was designed around 6DJ8, a pair of 12AU7 may not sound very good. On the other hand, ECC85 / 6AQ8 is not much different than 12AU7, and these have been reported to sound quite good.

In my opinion, unless someone is feeling very adventurous, I would not recommend spending a significant amount of money to purchase a pair of 12AU7 plus adapters. On the other hand, if someone has a couple of these, or 12AT7 or 12AX7, the adapters don't cost all that much and it might be fun.

NB: As many in this forum know, I am always pushing the envelope when it comes to tubes. So it might be best to ignore this post lol. :)

May 20, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #6,817 of 23,494

By design, 12AU7 / 12AT7 / 12AX7 can be run in either 6.3 volt mode or 12.6 volt mode  In the Lyr, one could use adapters such as these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-adapters-for-12AU7-ECC82-to-instead-6CG7-6AQ8-ECC88-TUBES-amplifier-/261667818185?

This adapter realigns the pins of a 12AU7 to work in a 6DJ8 socket and configures the tube for 6.3 volt heaters.

That said, given that the Lyr was designed around 6DJ8, a pair of 12AU7 may not sound very good. On the other hand, ECC85 / 6AQ8 is not much different than 12AU7, and these have been reported to sound quite good.

In my opinion, unless someone is feeling very adventurous, I would not recommend spending a significant amount of money to purchase a pair of 12AU7 plus adapters. On the other hand, if someone has a couple of these, or 12AT7 or 12AX7, the adapters don't cost all that much and it might be fun.

NB: As many in this forum know, I am always pushing the envelope when it comes to tubes. So it might be best to ignore this post lol. :)

"I see NOTHING, I hear NOTHING, I know NOTHING!" :)

May 20, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #6,819 of 23,494
 So-how long do people usually turn off the Lyr to let the tubes cool-and Caps discharge before swapping tubes? I'm also thinking HOT triodes, wires, can be fragile-so letting them cool is good,
I'm following Rb2013's suggestion of 10 minutes. The case is usually still warm and the tubes are also still a bit warm. I've got a cotton glove I use to work the tube out.

May 21, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #6,823 of 23,494
   So-how long do people usually turn off the Lyr to let the tubes cool-and Caps discharge before swapping tubes? I'm also thinking HOT triodes, wires, can be fragile-so letting them cool is good,
I'm following Rb2013's suggestion of 10 minutes. The case is usually still warm and the tubes are also still a bit warm. I've got a cotton glove I use to work the tube out.

In a different amp, about 5 to 10 minutes. Cool enough that I can remove the tubes with my bare hands.

Thanks! You don't consider oil from the hands to be an issue?

Five minutes usually seems like plenty to me.  Oil and prints are only aesthetic issues.  I use cheap-o cotton gloves with rubber nubs on the fingers.

May 21, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #6,824 of 23,494
  Thanks! You don't consider oil from the hands to be an issue?

I tend not to worry about this as much as others.... But of course, if this is a concern, gloves will do the trick, and some use the round thin rubbery disks that allow one to get a good grip on jar lids. That said, my amp (Glenn OTL) is set up for octals and I grab the tube by the bakelite base, rather than the glass, so bare hands are fine. And when I roll 9-pin all-glass miniatures, I have to use a 9-pin to octal adapter, so again, I grab the adapter, rather than the glass.

May 21, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #6,825 of 23,494
I tend not to worry about this as much as others.... But of course, if this is a concern, gloves will do the trick, and some use the round thin rubbery disks that allow one to get a good grip on jar lids. That said, my amp (Glenn OTL) is set up for octals and I grab the tube by the bakelite base, rather than the glass, so bare hands are fine. And when I roll 9-pin all-glass miniatures, I have to use a 9-pin to octal adapter, so again, I grab the adapter, rather than the glass.

Thanks. I'm using Novib Socket savers. Even said there is some force applied to the base sockets. I push down on the Novib and gently Rock the tube while pulling. I've got to figure out storage for my 8 pairs! Sounds like you have quite the rig!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back