Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
May 18, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #6,781 of 23,494
  Also upgraded capacitors in his Lyr IIRC as well. IMO, to my ears, different capacitors can completely change the tonal response of gear. Tube characteristics still translate, but the overall presentation is different. Just my opinion.

oh no! I had no idea you could modify the schiit... I have one sitting around that I can tinker with, what have you done!

May 18, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #6,782 of 23,494
  Also upgraded capacitors in his Lyr IIRC as well. IMO, to my ears, different capacitors can completely change the tonal response of gear. Tube characteristics still translate, but the overall presentation is different. Just my opinion.

Hi Mikoss
He had not done that yet when he posted his review. He was working on other components. I've chatted with him by email off and on and he was getting ready to do that a few weeks ago. EDIT- he was getting ready to do that 1 week ago.

May 18, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #6,783 of 23,494
  oh no! I had no idea you could modify the schiit... I have one sitting around that I can tinker with, what have you done!

Our TubeGod (my nickname) is planing on-or has by now- obtained some expensive high end capacitors to replace those coming with the Lyr, I would only attempt it if you know your way around electronics. I'll update if he gets back to me.

May 18, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #6,784 of 23,494
Doing some internal modifications to the Lyr sounds fun too after a while, any posts/guides to what one would want to change and to what? Or is it just basically every capacitor you can see with a better one?

May 18, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #6,786 of 23,494
Edited. Just tired I guess. The tungsrams are fine. Quieter but fine. They are verrrry relaxed compared to the matNats.

May 18, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #6,787 of 23,494
  the only problem i see with this approach is that rb2013 has a very specific set up with the HD 800. I would suggest anyone looking for a pair of tubes look up their headphones in this thread and see if there's any mention of them working with a particular set of tubes. 

Agreed, thus I stated..
  Your headphones and personal preference may lead you towards different tubes. I have the the HE-400 and HE-500 headphones..

May 18, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #6,789 of 23,494
  I wasn't calling you out i just wanted to clarify the statement for the people who would jump in and just buy based off of RB's list. 

True. rb2013's list is only one perspective so good information to share. I may be a bit tired and cranky. Apologies.

May 18, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #6,790 of 23,494

True. rb2013 list is only one perspective so good information to share. I may be a bit tired and cranky. Apologies.

no worries man it happens, throw some tubes on and enjoy the evening, I'm finding the amperex 7308 to be a bit too forward at times... didnt think it would be possible with the LCD 2, gonna give it some time but I don't think this pair is for me. 

luckily i snagged some telefunken CCa's and they'll be here this weekend!

the wait begins.

May 18, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #6,791 of 23,494
  no worries man it happens, throw some tubes on and enjoy the evening, I'm finding the amperex 7308 to be a bit too forward at times... didnt think it would be possible with the LCD 2, gonna give it some time but I don't think this pair is for me. 

luckily i snagged some telefunken CCa's and they'll be here this weekend!

the wait begins.

Last I checked those were out of my (wife's) price range. By all accounts they are great tubes. Congratulations.

If I am not being too nosy, what did you pay for the pair? Ebay?

May 18, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #6,792 of 23,494

Last I checked those were out of my (wife's) price range. By all accounts they are great tubes. Congratulations.

If I am not being too nosy, what did you pay for the pair? Ebay?

I got them for 300, which while pricey is well south of what I've seen them go for. I figure if the pair doesn't blow me away I can sell it as its pretty much NOS.

May 19, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #6,793 of 23,494
The matsu****a is the most forward and vivid tube I've tried so far. It hasn't broken in yet. The hazy halo of my 63' amperex is gone. I'm hoping this tube relaxes a little in the mids so that balance is restored but...it is a very fun and exciting option for now.

May 19, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #6,794 of 23,494
The matsu****a is the most forward and vivid tube I've tried so far. It hasn't broken in yet. The hazy halo of my 63' amperex is gone. I'm hoping this tube relaxes a little in the mids so that balance is restored but...it is a very fun and exciting option for now.

any chance you could describe what you mean by "relaxes" I'm having an issue with my Amperexes In that they're way to "strong" the sound is too forward and at times unpleasant (i really dislike harsh treble).

If anyone has a pair of PQ amperex 7308 or 6922 and would like/wouldn't mind to compare them to my pair to make sure mine isn't broken I'd appreciate it. 

If you're interested Pm me and we'll talk details. (must have posting presence in this thread)

May 19, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #6,795 of 23,494
Initially my amperexs were too bright as well. Especially for my q701s. They did relax a bit. The matsu****a are very aggressive in the mids to lower treble with the he560 or vibros. It makes for a mid centric sound taking away the balance ie the bass. Very energetic but not what I'm looking for. Still, better than the amperex, though very new. The amperex sounds distant and hazy with the 560. My hopes are for the tube to burn in more balanced. Cuz I believe in the principal ( as well as brain burn). For now, the mats are tiring but fun. Hope that answered your question .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back