Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Feb 26, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #5,461 of 23,494
I have a pair of Siemens E88CC tubes with grey shields and A0 1≠ 4F codes. They have a great extension from top to bottom... I personally notice the quality of presentation in the bass and also the extended top end. Lots of air and detail. The midrange is fairly transparent sounding and not warm to me. Not a lot of fleshy, lush sounding midrange tones. Overall, they sound decent, but I suspect the CCa tubes have superior imaging and tonality.

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #5,462 of 23,494

Thanks for the reply. Hmmm, row 10 or row 30? That's not really a way I've looked at soundstage before! I do enjoy a deep soundstage, so I guess maybe a row 30?

Can you recommend any US sellers who ship overseas? I actually did a search based on one of your reviews and the tubes that came up (on US ebay, and were already sold) were being sold by you :wink:

N.B I can't remember the model number of the Fisher but the case was in terrible condition so I threw it away and left it open, glowing proudly on a shelf in my office :)

I wished I had kept it  - one of those classic vintage greats.

What I mean is - do you like a more upfront presentation or more recessed? 

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #5,463 of 23,494
I have a pair of Siemens E88CC tubes with grey shields and A0 1≠ 4F codes. They have a great extension from top to bottom... I personally notice the quality of presentation in the bass and also the extended top end. Lots of air and detail. The midrange is fairly transparent sounding and not warm to me. Not a lot of fleshy, lush sounding midrange tones. Overall, they sound decent, but I suspect the CCa tubes have superior imaging and tonality.

That's a great description of the Siemens 'house' sound.  I call 'Yin' as opposed to the 'Yang' euphonics of Amperex and Philips.

It's a fun sound

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #5,464 of 23,494

I wished I had kept it  - one of those classic vintage greats.

What I mean is - do you like a more upfront presentation or more recessed? 

Hmmm, good question. Perhaps more recessed than up-front, but not to the extent of how one would imagine the imagined Sennheiser veil sounds from descriptions (until one hears them).

I'm now describing how I like my sound to sound by comparing it to imagined sounds. Frank Zappa once said that writing about music is like dancing about architecture.

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #5,465 of 23,494
Would anyone know the difference between the Siemens early 1960's e88cc grey shield (non-CCa) and the same in the CCa version? The HK rolloff mentions the e88cc CCa but makes no mention of the e88cc non-CCa (even though they also have grey shields). Do you think the sound quality would be similar? Anyone have both or have heard both and can provide some insight?

The difference is the selection criteria that the E88CCs didn't fulfil, necessarily. What those criteria exactly were, I don't know. But I also don't buy the hype.

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #5,466 of 23,494

Perhaps something might interest you here. It would be easy for you, and they should be trustworthy. Ebay is not your only choice.

1. http://langrex.co.uk/common-valves.html

That's a great link: thanks!

Ironically, they have a greater selection listed on Ebay. I may have to call them and have a chat...

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #5,467 of 23,494

Hmmm, good question. Perhaps more recessed than up-front, but not to the extent of how one would imagine the imagined Sennheiser veil sounds from descriptions (until one hears them).

I'm now describing how I like my sound to sound by comparing it to imagined sounds. Frank Zappa once said that writing about music is like dancing about architecture.

Great quote!  You may not like the Russian tubes, as they tend to be more upfront.  Maybe the Amperex might better suit your tastes.

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #5,468 of 23,494
what kind of tube is this?

http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/audio-tv-en-foto/buizenversterkers/m899322894-siemens-6922-e88cc-a-frame-gematched-setje-nagenoeg-nieuw.html?c=8c285449651fa109c354bbabe740c1b&previousPage=lr

(its a Dutch site) he only wrote they are A frame Matched pair

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #5,470 of 23,494
Would anyone know the difference between the Siemens early 1960's e88cc grey shield (non-CCa) and the same in the CCa version? The HK rolloff mentions the e88cc CCa but makes no mention of the e88cc non-CCa (even though they also have grey shields). Do you think the sound quality would be similar? Anyone have both or have heard both and can provide some insight?

I noticed that too -the omission of the Siemens E88CC in the HK tube shootout.  They included the Siemens E188CC and E288CC - and the Tele E88CC's
http://www.head-fi.org/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers/5205#post_11338105 post #5220

I have had both in the past - as I had the 'regular' Seimens E88CC gray's before I bought the more expensive CCa's.  To me they were not the same - the CCa's in a whole other class!

I have a pair of the E88CC's right now - nice but the '75 Reflektors have as much 'air', and better and deeper bass - and a much richer tonal signature.  Better sound stage as well - at least 40% greater width an depth. Soon I'll have the CCa Gray's to directly compare the two on the Lyr.  YMMV.

The one Siemens CCa I have not owned or heard are the horseshoe getter '50s version.  I'm on the hunt for those.

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #5,471 of 23,494
  Finally got my Lyr 2 set up with my Philips Miniwatt SQ E88CC. Sounds amazing!

The sound separation is so much better than the Magni that I had before and everything is just so much more coherent. 

Tames the treble on my HE400i as well, as I found them a bit harsh to begin with. The bass from my speakers using line out is immense now, so deep and powerful!

Can't wait to try even better tubes! 

Some pics if anyone is interested.

Ehhhh, "better tubes"????  You must mean the E188CC Miniwatts !!!  Glad those Minis are working out for you so far.  No tube noise I hope.  They sure LOOK pretty.  After the many Minis you were considering I hope you got a magic pair.

Feb 26, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #5,472 of 23,494
  what kind of tube is this?

http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/audio-tv-en-foto/buizenversterkers/m899322894-siemens-6922-e88cc-a-frame-gematched-setje-nagenoeg-nieuw.html?c=8c285449651fa109c354bbabe740c1b&previousPage=lr

(its a Dutch site) he only wrote they are A frame Matched pair

The text says they're Siemens, and they do look like it, though perhaps bought and re-branded 6922 by a U.S. company.

There were quite a few posts in the last couple days/last few pages talking about these 'A' frame types.

Feb 26, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #5,473 of 23,494
  And by Amperex Bob means Philips (for us Europeans)…

LOL!  Well, maybe he meant a U.S.-made Amperex tube 
tongue.gif

wink.gif

(Da, da, still Philips :wink:

Feb 26, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #5,474 of 23,494

The one Siemens CCa I have not owned or heard are the horseshoe getter '50s version.  I'm on the hunt for those.

Those would probably set you back close to a grand.  I think I'd be adding to the stable of cans before I bought those.  But do let us know how they are when you find them 
wink.gif

Feb 27, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #5,475 of 23,494

Ehhhh, "better tubes"????  You must mean the E188CC Miniwatts !!!  Glad those Minis are working out for you so far.  No tube noise I hope.  They sure LOOK pretty.  After the many Minis you were considering I hope you got a magic pair.

Well when I say better tubes I mean one of the HG ones not sure which yet but I have my name down with Bob to get a Russian set at some point depending on when if finds a serviceable pair.

Regarding the Minis that I have they have no tube noise that I can hear and sound well matched to me and no microphonics. The only thing I would say is they Lyr 2 itself hums and vibrates a bit, it's coming from the transformers as far as I can tell. Is that normal? (It's very quiet I can't hear it with headphones on even with no music playing.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back