Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jan 9, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #4,531 of 23,494
Just got my orange globes. So far, I like them. It's not as huge a difference I got when I upgraded my audio gear, but it's there. I'm noticing a greater overall warmth to the music and a more dynamic lower end with what feels like a bit more emphasis. Certain aspects of the music also seem a tad clearer. Now I'm excited to see how these will sound after I burn them in a touch. 

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #4,532 of 23,494
  Just got my orange globes. So far, I like them. It's not as huge a difference I got when I upgraded my audio gear, but it's there. I'm noticing a greater overall warmth to the music and a more dynamic lower end with what feels like a bit more emphasis. Certain aspects of the music also seem a tad clearer. Now I'm excited to see how these will sound after I burn them in a touch. 

You mind sharing where got the tubes?

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #4,533 of 23,494
Well - there will always be skeptics in audio.  I don't pay them much mind.  What ever works is my motto.  Same goes for audio cables - many swear they have 'blind tested' all cables over $40 and say they're all BS rubbish - hocus pocus nonsense.  Well I used to be in that camp - about 20 yrs ago.  Then I tried some different cable and I heard a distinct difference with each - some good - some bad.  Kinda like vintage tubes.

That started me on a long quest of cable rolling!  I've had too many to count.  Very expensive to very reasonable.  Price does not guarantee great sound - that's for sure.  But there are some outstanding cables out there, for reasonable cost.  But, from an engineering perspective, why should one cable sound different then another?  That's what hangs some people up - that's where I was back then.  Some things in audio can not be explained yet by engineers -some can.  I trust my ears - they tell me right away.  Today I will still try new cables in my system - usually they're a step back - so off to Audiogon or Ebay they go.  But every once in a while a cable really impressed me -that happened recently with the Aural Thrills Silver/Teflon ICs.  And very reasonably priced.

And yes - cables and equipment do need burnin as well!

I am of the mindset that cable material and construction quality will make a difference, for sure. What I am skeptical about are the high prices charged by some of the vendors for these cables. I love bluejeans cable and the company in general. They are a no nonsense quality cable assemblers and even their help line is staffed by accomplished people that know audio. Paying $40 for an RCA cable is well worth the money when you compare the quality and construction of the cable.

You are right, I have to see for myself whether or not these outrageously expensive cables make any difference, until then I will remain on the fence about them. I have decided to build my own cable for my HPs, it will be a fraction of the cost when compared with market cables and I inow the connectors and material quality will be better than what I will get from these vendors.

But cable burnin I am having difficulty even understanding. As you said, coming from an engineering background makes me a skeptic.

Jan 9, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #4,534 of 23,494
Well - there will always be skeptics in audio.  I don't pay them much mind.  What ever works is my motto.  Same goes for audio cables - many swear they have 'blind tested' all cables over $40 and say they're all BS rubbish - hocus pocus nonsense.  Well I used to be in that camp - about 20 yrs ago.  Then I tried some different cable and I heard a distinct difference with each - some good - some bad.  Kinda like vintage tubes.

That started me on a long quest of cable rolling!  I've had too many to count.  Very expensive to very reasonable.  Price does not guarantee great sound - that's for sure.  But there are some outstanding cables out there, for reasonable cost.  But, from an engineering perspective, why should one cable sound different then another?  That's what hangs some people up - that's where I was back then.  Some things in audio can not be explained yet by engineers -some can.  I trust my ears - they tell me right away.  Today I will still try new cables in my system - usually they're a step back - so off to Audiogon or Ebay they go.  But every once in a while a cable really impressed me -that happened recently with the Aural Thrills Silver/Teflon ICs.  And very reasonably priced.

And yes - cables and equipment do need burnin as well!

+1 well said, I finally pulled the trigger and have ordered a Vanquish cable for my Alpha Prime's. I will look up Aural Thrill Silver/Teflon IC's, and check them out. But this year my money will go towards a few more tubes and a good dac. I use to be sceptical of audio claims, however tube rolling has opened my eyes to other possibilities.

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #4,535 of 23,494
+1 well said, I finally pulled the trigger and have ordered a Vanquish cable for my Alpha Prime's. I will look up Aural Thrill Silver/Teflon IC's, and check them out. But this year my money will go towards a few more tubes and a good dac. I use to be sceptical of audio claims, however tube rolling has opened my eyes to other possibilities.

Thanks!  Great to hear you had good experiences with tubes and cables. Tubes have been the biggest bang for the buck I've seen since I started this audio hobby 25 yrs ago.

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #4,536 of 23,494
I am of the mindset that cable material and construction quality will make a difference, for sure. What I am skeptical about are the high prices charged by some of the vendors for these cables. I love bluejeans cable and the company in general. They are a no nonsense quality cable assemblers and even their help line is staffed by accomplished people that know audio. Paying $40 for an RCA cable is well worth the money when you compare the quality and construction of the cable.

You are right, I have to see for myself whether or not these outrageously expensive cables make any difference, until then I will remain on the fence about them. I have decided to build my own cable for my HPs, it will be a fraction of the cost when compared with market cables and I inow the connectors and material quality will be better than what I will get from these vendors.

But cable burnin I am having difficulty even understanding. As you said, coming from an engineering background makes me a skeptic.

Well I heard someone explain to me that the act of running current through a cable forces a realignment of the metallic crystal lattice structure.  The electrons move through the conductive material and in essence find pathways.   I don't know if I believe that.  But many companies make cable burners that use more current to speed the process.  Synergistic Research has gone to the extreme - a 2 million volt Tesla coil!

Jan 9, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #4,537 of 23,494

What year Voskhods are you listening to? 

Voskhod 1974 Single Wire Grey Shield
It finally happened.  It burned in after 40-50 hours.  I love the tonality of these. Something musically addictive about these tubes.  The Siemens and Telefunken tubes I have are great tubes.
But they don't possess this liquid, sweet and vibrant tone/nature that just sucks you in. 
Now I'll be on the look out for the 75' & 74' Reflectors and 75' Voskhods that you seem to praise so much. 

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #4,539 of 23,494

It finally happened.  It burned in after 40-50 hours.  I love the tonality of these. Something musically addictive about these tubes.  The Siemens and Telefunken tubes I have are great tubes.
But they don't possess this liquid, sweet and vibrant tone/nature that just sucks you in. 
Now I'll be on the look out for the 75' & 74' Reflectors and 75' Voskhods that you seem to praise so much. 

+1 They should keep getting better out to 200 hrs.  They'll continue to smooth out, open up and become less forward. 

Happy Rolling!

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #4,541 of 23,494
  rb2013 came through like a champ. My pair of 1974 Voskhod Gary Shield 6N23P tubes. Thanks bud!
Ordering the lyr2 in a week or so! Can't wait.

Just got a pair in today from Bob as well. '74 Reflektor SWGP Grays. I don't want to put them in until I get some socket savers, so I have a few more days to wait. 
redface.gif

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #4,542 of 23,494
It's an amazing thing when it happens. Enjoy bro.

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #4,543 of 23,494
  Just got a pair in today from Bob as well. '74 Reflektor SWGP Grays. I don't want to put them in until I get some socket savers, so I have a few more days to wait. 
redface.gif

I think you will be happy with them. I love them. They are my primary pair.

Jan 9, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #4,545 of 23,494

Mine too.  Very nice tubes.  Enjoy!

I think you will be happy with them. I love them. They are my primary pair.

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to it. Most of Bob's Reflektor reviews go on and on about the silver shields, not the gray's, so I was curious if there was much of a difference between the two. 

In other news, I had a good laugh at this shirt from tubedepot, "Revolt against the Solid State"

https://d1sjrnpi226dnf.cloudfront.net/spree/products/large/SW-TS-005-2.jpg?1381957723

Any dedicated roller should own one! 
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back