Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Dec 4, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #4,066 of 23,494
  Hopefully.  The guy guaranteed they were both vintage telefunkens.  He says he has over 20 years exp. with tubes and that they were both matched by his B&K tester.

In my opinion, a "matched pair" means more than just measuring the same on a tester. To begin with, you need to have two tubes, manufactured in the same factory at about the same time. And then you test them.

So the same factory, the same construction, the same date, matched by measurements from a tube tester yields a "matched pair."

For example, suppose you have two Heerlen-made Philips E88CCs, one manufactured in 1961 and the other in 1964. These tubes appear to be identical. However, the sound changed from 1961 to 1964. And therefore, even if they measure the same, they were manufactured at different times and they sound different. I would not consider these to be a "matched pair."

Dec 4, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #4,067 of 23,494

In my opinion, a "matched pair" means more than just measuring the same on a tester. To begin with, you need to have two tubes, manufactured in the same factory at about the same time. And then you test them.

So the same factory, the same construction, the same date, matched by measurements from a tube tester yields a "matched pair."

For example, suppose you have two Heerlen-made Philips E88CCs, one manufactured in 1961 and the other in 1964. These tubes appear to be identical. However, the sound changed from 1961 to 1964. And therefore, even if they measure the same, they were manufactured at different times and they sound different. I would not consider these to be a "matched pair."

gibosi, always appreciate what you bring to your posts and I agree 100%.  But you know what's funny, I'm a nut for the early to mid 60's Heerlen made Philips Miniwatt E188CC SQ's in my old Lyr and now in my Woo WA2...I've had probably 8 pair, including some E88CC's.  My favorite pair of all of those is a '63/'66 mixed pair.  And not by a little.  You just never know.

Dec 4, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #4,068 of 23,494
  gibosi, always appreciate what you bring to your posts and I agree 100%.  But you know what's funny, I'm a nut for the early to mid 60's Heerlen made Philips Miniwatt E188CC SQ's in my old Lyr and now in my Woo WA2...I've had probably 8 pair, including some E88CC's.  My favorite pair of all of those is a '63/'66 mixed pair.  And not by a little.  You just never know.

In this case, I wouldn't be surprised if this pair is indeed a "matched pair." With Philips tubes, it is very important to know the change code. If tubes have the same change code, then being off by a few years is not a problem. They are still identical. I believe the change code incremented in 1963, but I don't remember when it incremented again. So it just might be the case that your tubes have the same change code, and thus, they sound identical.

Cheers

Dec 4, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #4,069 of 23,494
It would be great if someone did a review on tubes based on:

1. Price 
2. Sound Signature, Characteristics 
3. Performance 
(And not just the best of the best E88CC tubes)

What I have gleaned so far (very noobie at this point):  
It seems the 60's Telefunken seems to be the highest priced, best or most desired sound characteristics and performance
Followed by Siemens and Amperex 60's
(Mullards and Genalex Gold Lion with their overly lushness seems to be a preference thing that few people really like) 
Than Tesla being a budget tube but still much better than Lyr stock tubes
Lastly Voskhod right below it but still better than stock Lyr tubes.

I could be totally wrong but just guessing.  

Another good budget tube is the genalex Gold Lions, that sounds better than the stock tubes. I do plan on doing a review on as current production Telefunken E88CC TK tubes.

Dec 4, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #4,070 of 23,494
Just got the Lyr 2 last night. Even with just the stock tubes, my LCD 2 already sounds a lot more open than the Asgard 2. I should have some golden lion tubes coming in soon.

I wonder what some good tubes for the HE 560 might be?

Dec 4, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #4,071 of 23,494
In this case, I wouldn't be surprised if this pair is indeed a "matched pair." With Philips tubes, it is very important to know the change code. If tubes have the same change code, then being off by a few years is not a problem. They are still identical. I believe the change code incremented in 1963, but I don't remember when it incremented again. So it just might be the case that your tubes have the same change code, and thus, they sound identical.

No they have different version codes...I never considered them a matched pair.  All the other pairs I've had are matching VR #'s.  The irony is the mis-matched pair have a depth, timbre and engagement none of the others do...at least to my ears.  But you know how that goes.

Dec 4, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #4,072 of 23,494
I remember a colleague who inadvertently discovered that two tubes (6SN7s) from different manufacturers gave him some of the best sound he had ever heard. So as you say, you just never know... lol :wink:

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #4,074 of 23,494

Reason I'm taking any pictures..because it's so slight...when I place them side by side I can't even see the difference. 
One has easily readable telefunken latble and no. but the other one is all faded.  It's like a 1.5  millimeter taller. 

I ordered my pair of NOS Telefunken E88CC from Upscale Audio one month ago and the size looks identical to yours.  I burned them in for 200 hours and they sound great, if you can't tell a difference in the sound just listen to the music and enjoy.

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #4,076 of 23,494

I ordered my pair of NOS Telefunken E88CC from Upscale Audio one month ago and the size looks identical to yours.  I burned them in for 200 hours and they sound great, if you can't tell a difference in the sound just listen to the music and enjoy.

Might just do that.

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #4,078 of 23,494
Hi first time poster here, just got my hands on a used Lyr from a friend and was wondering what are some of the most popular/affordable tubes that are more commonly recommended here?

Thanks!

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #4,079 of 23,494
  Hi first time poster here, just got my hands on a used Lyr from a friend and was wondering what are some of the most popular/affordable tubes that are more commonly recommended here?

Thanks!

Give the vintage '70s  6n23p Voskhod Rockets a try - they're awesome. Very detailed, smooth, deep bass, and a wide and deep sound stage.  And matched pairs of early '70s can be had for around $40-$60.

Here was a great post from over on the Lyr2 thread:
  1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/a/aa/100x100px-LS-aa9cc57a_Naamloos-1.png[/img]
  1. Guidostrunk
  2. badge_1000.v3499439622.png
This guy knows his tubes. I bought a pair of 78 silver shields from him=MIND BLOWN. The difference from stock , is substantial. It's like the music swallowed me ,and I'm swimming in it. Truly holographic. I recommend that everyone take rb's advice on tubes , and seek them out. 

The dates codes are super easy to read - years plainly marked and months in roman numerals.  It's best to get them as closely matched as possible - as least by year, factory (there are only 2 - Voskhod and Reflektor) and construction (gray or silver shield, wire or plate getter posts).  The Rockets have little rocket stamps on them.

Here is my review of the different yrs and constructions from last year:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread/8595 post #8606

Good Luck and Happy Rolling!
beyersmile.png

Cheers!~
beerchug.gif

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #4,080 of 23,494

Thanks!

The two most affordable that come to mind are: Tesla ECC88 and Voskhod Rocket 6N23P/ECC88 (revised)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back