Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 27, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #1,591 of 23,494
And I would like to add we are all in your debt for the tons of 6N23Ps you have purchased and tested to find the real gems.... and then not keeping them a secret! Cheers. :)

Oh, I 100% agree. I can't tell you how much I appreciate Bob's help and his willingness to share both his experience and his tubes with the rest of us.

Now... if the weekend could only come fast enough so that I can get back into some listening sessions with those Voshkod 6N23P...

Mar 27, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #1,592 of 23,494
I will definitely add this tube to my daily eBay searches..... And I would like to add we are all in your debt for the tons of 6N23Ps you have purchased and tested to find the real gems.... and then not keeping them a secret! Cheers. :)
Kind words...many thanks. l'm enjoying the payoff right now...as I listen to Alex deGrassi's fingers slide across the guitar strings on the Slow Circle LP...chills up and down the spine. :)

Mar 27, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #1,593 of 23,494
Oh, I 100% agree. I can't tell you how much I appreciate Bob's help and his willingness to share both his experience and his tubes with the rest of us.

Now... if the weekend could only come fast enough so that I can get back into some listening sessions with those Voshkod 6N23P...
The Rockets have launched and should be there soon! Thanks for the sentiments!

Mar 27, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #1,594 of 23,494

+1

beerchug.gif

Mar 28, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #1,595 of 23,494
Well, I just rolled a rolled a set of Siemens A-Frame E88CC after using the stock GE 6BZ7 for the past several weeks. One thing I've noticed after running the new tubes for several hours is the temperature of the amp. I'm used to the Schiit lineup running very hot by design (as it was with the GE 6BZ7). I've had the amp on few hours and the Lyr is only slightly warm to the touch. 

As for the sound of the new tubes, I'm enjoying it very much on the HE-500. Currently, there's a bit of graininess/ crackle in highs on certain tracks that I'm hoping will go away with time. I ran in the same 'issue' with my JH13s the last time I had them remolded, it's disappeared since then. 

Mar 28, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #1,596 of 23,494
Well, I just rolled a rolled a set of Siemens A-Frame E88CC after using the stock GE 6BZ7 for the past several weeks. One thing I've noticed after running the new tubes for several hours is the temperature of the amp. I'm used to the Schiit lineup running very hot by design (as it was with the GE 6BZ7). I've had the amp on few hours and the Lyr is only slightly warm to the touch. 

As for the sound of the new tubes, I'm enjoying it very much on the HE-500. Currently, there's a bit of graininess/ crackle in highs on certain tracks that I'm hoping will go away with time. I ran in the same 'issue' with my JH13s the last time I had them remolded, it's disappeared since then. 
Nice tubes those Seimens, should be a nice stepup from the GEs. But should not have any crackling.

Mar 28, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #1,597 of 23,494
Nice tubes those Seimens, should be a nice stepup from the GEs. But should not have any crackling.

I wouldn't say it's so much something that's coming from a tube defect, but is rather over accentuating aspects that exist in some tracks. 

For my JH13s, London Grammar's Strong was unbearable for a while after they were remolded. That track is bearable now, but leaves some to be desired in the recording quality. 

With the Siemens tubes, I've been noticing it on several tracks of Diana Krall's Live in Paris album. I regard this as very, very well recorded album, so I'm not blaming it. It's not that bad, it's just a slightly noticeable detrimental aspect that pops out a little bit. Hopefully it will calm down. Time will tell.

Mar 28, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #1,598 of 23,494
I wouldn't say it's so much something that's coming from a tube defect, but is rather over accentuating aspects that exist in some tracks. 

For my JH13s, London Grammar's Strong was unbearable for a while after they were remolded. That track is bearable now, but leaves some to be desired in the recording quality. 

With the Siemens tubes, I've been noticing it on several tracks of Diana Krall's Live in Paris album. I regard this as very, very well recorded album, so I'm not blaming it. It's not that bad, it's just a slightly noticeable detrimental aspect that pops out a little bit. Hopefully it will calm down. Time will tell.
It sounds like you're listening to vinyl with headphones. Do I have that correct? If so, it's a bit of a tricky proposition, you'll have find a tube pairing that isn't to detailed that hightlights the scratch & noise issue. In my experience headphones are great for revealing hidden details in music, but do highlight lp surface noise. Be sure to clean your stylus after each LP.

Mar 28, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #1,601 of 23,494
I'm excited just bought this sucker on Audiogon. My1st upgrade of my digital stream since I went through a long evaluation of 6-7 different usb to spdif converters. Finally settling on the Musiland Monitor 2012 03 USD USB converter. http://www.soundstage.com/digitaldomain/200907.html

Mar 29, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #1,602 of 23,494
Then there should no noise. I'd get a good pr of over the ear phones. You'll get much better bass response.

I'm listening to it on a pair of HE-500s. In my opinion, these guys outperform anything even close to their price point. To outperform them you'd have to spend two to three times as much, putting you with an HE-6, HD800, or LCD (3/ X/ XC).

The bass response is fine. Actually, I couldn't ask for a better bass response at this price point. The Siemens E88CC performs much better than the GE 6BZ7 in the bass detail department. Also, there is less bass emphasis on the Siemens, especially in the mid bass region, which I like. 

I'm just coming to realize that what I'm hearing is a bit of an analytical edge that I'm not used to experiencing on full sized headphones. I think time is my solution here. Even if it doesn't mellow out or I don't get used to it over time, I'm still happier with it than the GE 6BZ7.

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #1,603 of 23,494
I'm listening to it on a pair of HE-500s. In my opinion, these guys outperform anything even close to their price point. To outperform them you'd have to spend two to three times as much, putting you with an HE-6, HD800, or LCD (3/ X/ XC).

The bass response is fine. Actually, I couldn't ask for a better bass response at this price point. The Siemens E88CC performs much better than the GE 6BZ7 in the bass detail department. Also, there is less bass emphasis on the Siemens, especially in the mid bass region, which I like. 

I'm just coming to realize that what I'm hearing is a bit of an analytical edge that I'm not used to experiencing on full sized headphones. I think time is my solution here. Even if it doesn't mellow out or I don't get used to it over time, I'm still happier with it than the GE 6BZ7.
Yes, I had a pr of the HE500s they're excellent especially for the money. Sorry missed that in your original post, just saw the jh13s. I would try listening to the same tracks as Wav files, maybe using foobar as a player. EAC is a great, free, burning tool.

Mar 30, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #1,604 of 23,494
Got my tubes...

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/+SergeySedlovsky/albums/5996592187966483329

:p

Sound is much warmer, when I heard violins it sounded like I was right next to the violinist.
On the other hand we've got more realistic sound, and now that I've plugged my HD700 (after listening for a little bit with my LCD-3) and first thing I noticed was a momentary hiss which disappeared almost instantly, is it something I should be worried about?

Also, I've noticed that gain is less than the stock tubes?

I'm considering that with some burn in of the tubes it is going to be much better just like the stock tubes did... but so far I'm enjoying it, not fatiguing sound :)

Now to wait for the Auralic Vega and omg I'm gonna have a real high end setup :D

Mar 30, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #1,605 of 23,494
Started burning in my late 1968/early 1969 Reflectors (not matched by date).  As with the BB D getters, I wasn't wowed at first, but after 30 hours or so they're sounding good.  Can't compare them to the '74 Rockets yet, but I'll try to in a week or so.  Value for money, Russian glass is sweet.

Tip o' the hat cans to Rob 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back