Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 7, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #1,441 of 23,494
  OK I am having a problem with my amp and I need help.  In short:  with socket savers from tubemonger (with deoxit gold, too) I get noise.  Without socket savers, no noise.  This is my second pair of socket savers from tubemonger.  It's like a crackling in the right ear.  I just fired it up with the new pair and there was noise.  What do you guys think the problem is?  Do the socket savers need break in time?  I am at a loss here.  Thanks.

Anybody got an answer to this???

Mar 7, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #1,442 of 23,494
Anybody got an answer to this???
Don't think it's a breakin issue. Sounds like a bad connection, in the socket saver, or between the socket saver pins and the Lyr socket, or most likely the tube and the socket saver itself. Since this your second one - I'm betting it's #2. Be sure you are seating the saver in all the way and the tube as well. One of my savers top is a little tilted, so it makes it especially tricky to seat properly. Although never had any cracking sounds.

Mar 8, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #1,443 of 23,494
Don't think it's a breakin issue. Sounds like a bad connection, in the socket saver, or between the socket saver pins and the Lyr socket, or most likely the tube and the socket saver itself. Since this your second one - I'm betting it's #2. Be sure you are seating the saver in all the way and the tube as well. One of my savers top is a little tilted, so it makes it especially tricky to seat properly. Although never had any cracking sounds.

Thanks.  Maybe if I wish hard enough, it will go away. 
confused_face(1).gif
  I tore up the first set of socket savers getting them out.  They were REALLY in there.  I don't want to tear up this set.  I was just using very small pliers.

Mar 8, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #1,444 of 23,494
Thanks.  Maybe if I wish hard enough, it will go away. :confused_face(1):   I tore up the first set of socket savers getting them out.  They were REALLY in there.  I don't want to tear up this set.  I was just using very small pliers.
My only gripe with the Lyr - it would be nice if the sockets were just flush on the top deck. I've had dozens of tube amps, preamps, headamps and tube intregrateds - they almost all had flush mounted sockets. Usually with some kind of optional tube cage. Have you seen the new Woo WA7 - one of the coolest looking tube headamps. But doesn't use the 6922 - a deal killer for me. Long live the Lyr.

Mar 8, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #1,446 of 23,494
The tubes sitting the way they do gives it a hybrid look.  At least that's how it appears to me.  I've never had any problems rolling tubes in it.

Do you use those socket savers? If not, how do you change the tubes?

The hard-to-access tubes are one of the main reasons I haven't committed to the Lyr. I've been holding out for a revision that updates the access to the sockets (as doubtful as that prospect might be.)

Mar 8, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #1,447 of 23,494
No I don't use socket savers.  I don't like how it looks with tubes standing up like that.  That's just my opinion though.  I just use the foam that the tubes came packed in to grab the top and gently rock them out.  Pretty easy actually.

Mar 8, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #1,448 of 23,494
No I don't use socket savers.  I don't like how it looks with tubes standing up like that.  That's just my opinion though.  I just use the foam that the tubes came packed in to grab the top and gently rock them out.  Pretty easy actually.

The area where the tubes go should be a lid that could be opened up.

Mar 8, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #1,449 of 23,494
My only gripe with the Lyr - it would be nice if the sockets were just flush on the top deck. I've had dozens of tube amps, preamps and tube intregrateds - they almost all had flush mounted sockets. Usually with some kind of optional tube cage. Have you seen the new Woo WA7 - one of the coolest looking tube headamps. But doesn't use the 6922 - a deal killer for me. Long live the Lyr.

That WA7 is a nice looking amp.  I wouldn't mind owning one.  But I think I will stick to my Lyr for now too.

Mar 8, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #1,451 of 23,494
No I dont use socket savers.  I don't like how it looks with tubes standing up like that.  That's just my opinion though.  I just use the foam that the tubes came packed in to grab the top and gently rock them out.  Pretty easy actually.
Well one other issue in the Lyr design, without socket savers there is no room for tube dampers. I always like using the Herbies. Although with tubes like 6n23p that are very immune to microphonics - I don't think that's much of an issue. It might be with tubes more prone to noise and microphonics.

Mar 8, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #1,452 of 23,494
An hour of play time in my Lyr and I already think I'm in love with these 1960 Bugle Boy large halo getters. I've got a pair of 69' Orange Globes coming later in the week, but They'll have to seriously be amazing to top what I'm hearing with the Bugle Boys.

Mar 8, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #1,454 of 23,494
anyone have any comments on the performance of late 60s USSR 6N23Ps?
I have only come across one '60s vintage Voskhod - a '67 with really wierd construction. This single long wire getter post and really short plates. I have seen many, many '60s Reflektors with the dual dimpled getter posts. Nice tubes, about on par with late '80s Voskhods with Gray Shields. Not top of the charts stuff for sure - but better then new production and much cheaper. Btw the earliest 6n23p I have in my collection - a 1958 Reflektor with an almost flat disc getter, 'butterfly' plates. A real strange beast. One of my DACs takes a single 6922, so I tried there. Good not great.

Mar 8, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #1,455 of 23,494
Well one other issue in the Lyr design, without socket savers there is no room for tube dampers. I always like using the Herbies. Although with tubes like 6n23p that are very immune to microphonics - I don't think that's much of an issue. It might be with tubes more prone to noise and microphonics.

I wonder if those tube dampers would help my situation I described in a previous post with the socket savers???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back