Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Feb 27, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #1,351 of 23,494
+1

I got their vacuum tube kit, which comes with the Gold with brush.  I use the other (D-25?) and the soaker cups on new tubes (except those with gold pins), then finish with the Deoxit Gold.  I also use the thin brush to apply a very little Gold into the sockets of both the Lyr and the socket savers.  So, everything's all lubed up :wink:   I've yet to have a noisy or microphonic tube.  I've definitely removed buildup from older tubes.

Aren't the NOVIBs supposed to have some vibration dampening built into them?
One note DeoxIT Gold G-series is different from the metallic based contact enhancers like QuickSilver and QuickSilver Gold. These can be dangerous and have to be applied very carefully to prevent creating a short. Why in audio does everything have to be so complicated.

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #1,352 of 23,494
One note DeoxIT Gold G-series is different from the metallic based contact enhancers like QuickSilver and QuickSilver Gold. These can be dangerous and have to be applied very carefully to prevent creating a short. Why in audio does everything have to be so complicated.

Dear fellow tube lovers,

For many years, I've only been using 99% medicinal alcohol to clean my tube pins.
They are all squeaky clean.
This simple solution works for me.
The stuff also evaporates naturally and no further cleaning is required.

This also works for any audio connectors (RCA) or speaker cables.

Have fun! :)

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #1,353 of 23,494
Dear fellow tube lovers,

For many years, I've only been using 99% medicinal alcohol to clean my tube pins.
They are all squeaky clean.
This simple solution works for me.
The stuff also evaporates naturally and no further cleaning is required.

This also works for any audio connectors (RCA) or speaker cables.

Have fun!
smily_headphones1.gif

I use it for my intestines...keeps them squeaky clean as well.  Oh...wait...different alcohol...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #1,356 of 23,494
  You just put it on and leave it on?

If I'm not mistaken, you need to wipe off the excess, if you're using one of the 100% formulations.  CAIG should be able to tell you for sure.  I give it 5-10 minutes, then use a swap or lint-free cloth to wipe down the pins.

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #1,359 of 23,494
You just put it on and leave it on?
The bottle cap has a little brush attached, so it sits in the fluid. I just rub the excess off on the rim, then apply to the bottom 1/3 of each pin. This way as the pin slides into the socket it gets spread over the rest of the pin and pin sockets. You want to leave it on the pins to act as a lubricant, contact enhancer, and oxidation prohibitor. For really oxidized pins I use the red colored D-series, which I apply with qtip. This solution I wipe clean after 24 hrs, then apply the Gold. I don't think alcohol will give you any lubrication (making it easier to remove), or oxidation prohibition. The Gold G series is designed not to gumup or cause a contact failure over time. I've been using it for years to good effect, on all kinds of tubes. Btw for those interested and adventurous, I have tried the QuickSilver metallic in the past, not on the Lyr, the effect is starling. With a dramatic jump in dynamics, unfortunately it doesn't last. The effect fades over a few months, and with the risks involved wasn't worth it. I use the DeoxIT Gold on all connections as well, rca connectors, speaker cables and terminals, fuses, etc...

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #1,360 of 23,494
The bottle cap has a little brush attached, so it sits in the fluid. I just rub the excess off on the rim, then apply to the bottom 1/3 of each pin. This way as the pin slides into the socket it gets spread over the rest of the pin. You want to leave it on the pins to act as a lubricant, contact enhancer, and oxidation prohibitor. For really oxidized pins I use the red colored D-series, which I apply with qtip. This solution I wipe clean after 24 hrs, then apply the Gold. I don't think alcohol will give you any lubrication (making it easier to remove), or oxidation prohibition. The Gold G series is designed not to gumup or cause a contact failure over time. I've been using it for years to good effect, on all kinds of tubes. Btw for those interested and adventurous, I have tried the QuickSilver metallic in the past, not on the Lyr, the effect is starling. With a dramatic jump in dynamics, unfortunately it doesn't last. The effect fades over a few months, and with the risks involved wasn't worth it. I use the DeoxIT Gold on all connections as well, rca, speaker, fuses, etc...

I can't remember where I read it's good/important to wipe off the excess if you're using the 100% solution.  It could have been in relation to the D-Series.  I'll try to dig it up.

That said, a good coating on the pins, then inserted into the sockets is a good way to get the solution onto the socket contacts.  And I reckon that would effectively spread the excess.  I've read of Head-Fiers taking that approach.

As rb2013 noted, you need to clean off any oxidation before applying the Gold series to the pins, otherwise you've defeated the purpose.  A swab (I like those tightly packed cosmetic swabs vs. the common Q-Tip style) or white lint free cloth (like those in the Vacuum Tube Survival Kit) rubbed on the pins is a good way to check that all oxidation has been removed.

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #1,361 of 23,494
From the Craig website: DeoxIT® Gold G-Series - Contact Enhancer, Conditioner & Protector
(formerly ProGold)

DeoxIT® Gold (formerly ProGold), is a unique conditioning solution that improves conductivity and provides long-lasting protection on gold, base metals and other precious metal contacts and connections (gold, silver, rhodium, copper, bronze, nickel, etc.).

Use on plated connectors, contacts and metal surfaces for maximum performance and protection.

Recommended for critical applications where only slight cleaning action is necessary. If the surface looks clean, applying DeoxIT D-Series contact cleaner first is usually not necessary. DeoxIT® Gold is designed to dissolve small amounts of oxidation. Apply DeoxIT® Gold after DeoxIT® D-Series contact cleaner on plated metal surfaces, except where noted with DeoxIT® Shield S-Series below. The more critical the connection or part, especially low current applications, DeoxIT® Gold should be the final step.
For reference, DeoxIT® Gold has approximately 0.5% cleaning action.
KEY FEATURES:
Improves Conductivity
Maintains Optimum Signal Quality
Protects Base Metals from Oxidation
Prevents Dendrite and Fretting Corrosion
Forms Protective Anti-Tarnishing Layer
Reduces Arcing, RFI and Intermittent Connections
Reduces Wear and Abrasion
Temperature Range, -34 C to +240 C

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #1,365 of 23,494
Good news! The Matsu****a E88CC 6922 Mullard Tooling Gold Pin tubes arrived yesterday, as did the NOVIB socket savers. I also picked up a bottle of CAIG DeOxIT D100 Power Booster Metal Electric Connection Cleaner, Enhancer, and Lubricant from Amazon.

Application of the DeOxIT was easy with the included nail polish type brush. I used the DeOxIT on both the Matsu tubes and the NOVIBs. Wiping the Matsu tube pins with a Q-tip resulted in some black oxidation residue, so the DeOxIT seemed to do its job. Curious about the lubrication property of DeOxIT, I brushed a small amount of fresh DeOxIT on the pins of one tube and NOVIB. Comparing the ease of insertion and removal with the other tube and NOVIB sans-DeOxIT was quite impressive.

I swapped between the stock tubes and the Matsu tubes and, although I can't say in detail the differences I noticed, the Matsu tubes were slightly more pleasant and seemed a bit more lively than the stock tubes. Certainly this could be expectation bias, but when the other tubes arrive, I'll do a more careful comparison among them all against the stock tubes.

With the NOVIBs installed, I can't -- at this point -- discern any noise as was mentioned previously, but everything is still pretty new and I'm still figuring out the nuances of my system. Again, when all the tubes arrive, I'll try listenings with and without the NOVIBs installed (I checked, and removal was relatively painless thanks to the DeOxIT. I figured out a wiggle that removes both the tube and the NOVIB in one attempt). I DO like the tubes being more visible. Makes me feel a bit better that I can see my $$ glowing a nice orange when all the lights are out.

Thanks again for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back