Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Feb 23, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #1,307 of 23,494
  How do you guys feel about the synergy between a Lyr and HD 800?

its ok only for me although i used several good  tubes (cca pre 1965 & post 1965,  amperex SQ , mullard micham gold pin)
 and pretty serious power line conditioning plus boutique fusion cable for the hd800
  To me i can only listen to music but not feeling it. You cannot ask more for that price

LCD 2 with lyr  is better i think

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #1,309 of 23,494
I've had good success. I've had the hd800s for a while. Before the Lyr, I had a tricked out Woo WA6-SE, I'd spent a yr tube rolling, so I had it sounding really good. Now this amp is highly regarded. I also had a Littledot, ASL, Earmaxpro, Musiland, Burson before the Woo. I really liked the Woo, very musical. But I read so much about the Lyr, I had to try it. Well I was plesantly surprised - it had a liveliness, very dynamic nature that made the Woo sound boring in comparison. Now the fully NOS'd Woo still had a more musical sound, never harsh nor fatiguing. It also had more detail and better soundstaging, also better high and low end extension. So I started tube rolling on the Lyr, after going through a host of Amperexs, Philips, Seimens, Lorentz, Voskhods, Reflektors, etc. Well the Lyr took a major leap forward. It was pretty much matching the woo in most areas, but much more exciting! I sold the Woo a few months later. Other tweeks for the Lyr: upgraded the power cord to a Synergistic Research Ref x2, used some herbie dampeners, put some ceraball isloators under it. A while ago when I had the Woo I upgraded the cables on the HD800s to the excellent Moon Black Dragon v2s, this helped with the hd800s treble richness, expanded the already expansive soundstage. I was already a big fan of the hd800s soundstage. It also deepen the bass, but retaining the natural tonality they're known for. If you haven't checkout the epic 'Battle of the Flagships (58 Headphones compared)' thread here - it does a really good job of comparing the top headphones. P.S. As the review notes there are differences between the earlier and later production models of the hd800s, I have the earlier ones, they have more tone and less treble brightness then the newer ones.

Feb 23, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #1,310 of 23,494
I'm just trying to think of tubes that might suit the LCDs.  Maybe the Amperexes aren't a good fit.  Obviously an LCD owner could guide you better.

Good luck!

Valvo tubes (both the Gold Pins and Red Labels) do very well with my LCD-3's, and I believe they may be had for a reasonable price. Amperex USN-CEP tubes also do well, and, of course, S&H CCa's are superlative.

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #1,312 of 23,494
I've had good luck with Amperex USN-CEP's, Telefunken and Tesla. Superlative with S&H CCa's and Amperex Pinched Waists, but these are crazy expensive (when you can find them).

Kudos to you.
Not many have this luck.
Everything needs to be right

Lyr to me is like benchmark dac1
it is sensitive to conditinonized electricity , powercord , rca
the problem is to get the right combo so that hd800 can sings to your liking

My ultimate search in a rig is that wether it can touches my soul , not my heart
thus the rig must have emotion to have deep impact on me
i dont like to feel like listening to music but feeling it

Feb 24, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #1,313 of 23,494

I've had good luck with Amperex USN-CEP's, Telefunken and Tesla. Superlative with S&H CCa's and Amperex Pinched Waists, but these are crazy expensive (when you can find them).

Kudos to you.
Not many have this luck.
Everything needs to be right

Lyr to me is like benchmark dac1
it is sensitive to conditinonized electricity , powercord , rca
the problem is to get the right combo so that hd800 can sings to your liking

My ultimate search in a rig is that wether it can touches my soul , not my heart
thus the rig must have emotion to have deep impact on me
i dont like to feel like listening to music but feeling it

I have settled down with the Lyr (Siemens E88CCs) + Gungnir + HD800 at the moment, but +1 on the sensitivity to power supply, cables and plugs. PowerKord 300s made a big difference in my setup. 

Feb 24, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #1,314 of 23,494
Talking about Siemens E88CC... I just bought a matched pair of these.
Then I have been reading that there are fake model of these...
Could someone tell me if I made a great deal buying them from eBay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310876961161
Hope they are not counterfeit!!
Is it top class E88CC?
So different models/years...

Feb 24, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #1,317 of 23,494

Its not the worst pairing I have heard with the HD800, but not the best.

+1 

I'm pretty happy with the Lyr + HD800 combo but it is definitely not an ultimate setup. The Lyr is good for most of the headphones but it's not the best.

Feb 24, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #1,318 of 23,494
Was lucky enough to get my hands on an earlier model of the Lyr, without the relay switch! I heard that the sound quality is better and was curious if it was true, sure enough after I contacted Schiit they confirmed it for me.

So, I am very happy!

Can anyone recommend some tubes that give a real "classic tube-like" sound ? Seeing as I already have a Mjolnir, I would like something completely opposite of it that I can use in contrast when the mood calls for it.

A tube that pairs well with LCDs.

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #1,320 of 23,494

I have settled down with the Lyr (Siemens E88CCs) + Gungnir + HD800 at the moment, but +1 on the sensitivity to power supply, cables and plugs. PowerKord 300s made a big difference in my setup. 

thanks.. i think now i know how to improve the lyr performance to drive hd800
    i have not use my lyr to drive hd800 for some time already..like 3 months

Users who are viewing this thread

Back