Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Feb 22, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #1,291 of 23,494
Those are the more common Reflektors with dual getter posts. They're not bad and a quad for $24 - how do you beat that! Common characteristics of the Russian 6n23p: very quiet, highly durable, low microphonics (they seem to use a thicker glass then the Euro and US manufactures), good bass and dynamics. Now the best add high and low frequency extension, very high levels of detail (I hear faint background instruments and vocals deep into the mix - that I've not heard with other tubes), this high level of detail add to a three demensional holographic quality to the soundstage, the sound stage itself widens and deepens. Now the very rarest and best add a magical musicality, a natural flow to the music that is captivating - never harsh or etched. These rare versions are the best 6922 type tube I have ever owned. One caveat, do to the extreme detail and extension, some may find these a bit foward. It depends on your upstream source - mine is a pretty expensive computer server with a tubed dac. So it comes down to a matter or taste as always. In my system the Amerpex OG where soft with a tubby bass - I had better luck with Amperex USN-CEP white label 7308s. But in the end prefered the very best Russians due mainly to that magical flow they have. It's why I love tubes, the ability to reach that higher level of performance. I use the HD800 with the Moon Black Dragon V2 cable, but owned the HE500s for awhile. The HE500s have amazing performance, and worked well with my system. I sold because them mainly because the HD800 are more confortable and with the Black Dragon had better, wider soundstaging. The HE500 have excellent dynamics and are really good with vocals. I have not owned the LCDs, but from what I've read they are a bit darker then the stock HD800, the Moon cable darkened the HD800s, and 'cured' some of the treble issues some folks have talked about.

Would you send a photo or a link to this particular tube?
The one you say that is the best 6922 type tube you ever owned...
There's so many variants, i'm lost.

Feb 22, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #1,292 of 23,494
It is good to see some good stuff on these old Reflectors now, there has been too much emphasis on the Voskhods recently overlooking these nice tubes.
My post was concerning the Russian 6n23p in general (heads-up NOT the 6n1p!!! Although compatible they don't sound nearly as good). I would say the dual getter '70s Reflectors are right there with the '80 Voskhods. Not bad tubes and very durable. Now the very rare single wire getter post Reflecktors in the '70s vintage - especially '75 gray and '74 silver are supreme.

Feb 22, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #1,293 of 23,494
I was thinking @jubjubb
 meant how much do they cost.  If so, I think the question is, where can they be found?  I think rb2013 had cornered the market! :wink:   I did manage to find 1974s, but I wouldn't call them golden.

re: how long do they last, I thought they were rated at 10,000 hours.
In fair disclosure I do sell the extras I get on Ebay. I also act as a matcher - I have bought lots and lots of these, since Russian, Moldovian, and Ukraine dealers either don't tell you exactly what they are selling, have inconsistent pictures to their descriptions, or just send you different tubes from what they show! Like tube Russian roulette - every once in a while you get lucky. But what do you do with all the tubes you had to buy to get what you want - fustrating! On top of that a fair number fail testing!! UGG! Worse if you complain they blackball you! Fortunately, I do have a tester, so I toss out the used up tubes, or the ones that fail gas emissions tests. I then match them by yr, month if possible and output. I'm really just looking for the rarest tubes as I've mentioned. There are still plenty of overseas sellers - I think these are still great values - but how long before their prices go up? They used to $10 a pr but that again was for unmatched, random years, sketchy testing, long shipping distances. Even now I recently sold 4pr for $39 - less then $10 a pr. These where '70 Reflektors with dual getters. I won't ever promote an ebay ad I have here. I have gotten much good feedback from folks here who have tried these (often as PMs - there was a bit of a backlash when I first started posting about them here, so I think folks were reluctant to invite the flames). But there have been many others who have posted good results with the 6n23ps, so it's not just me. In fact, I was silent for along time, and noticed a seachange in folks attitude/prejudices/openmindedness regading these. Occuring spontanteously, with folks honest reactions and experiences - great! I think they are being fairly viewed now. That said - they are not for everyone! What tube is? Well the $500/pr '60 gray shield Seimens and Halaske CCa - everyone likes these! But look at the varying option on the Amperexes. In the end - it's what works for you. It's your system, your ears, your money! I have been into audio for 3 decades owning all kinds of equipment, all kinds of tweeks. In my opinion, upgrading your tubes is the cheapest bang for the buck in audio. Of course they will eventually burn out - but where else in high end audio can you get such an improvement for $40, $70, $100, even $150 dollars?

Feb 22, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #1,294 of 23,494
Would you send a photo or a link to this particular tube?
The one you say is the best 6922 type tube you ever owned...
There's so many variants, i'm lost.
I wish I could but posting pics is to hard on my tablet. There is no link I know of on these. But it's not to complicated. The one thing I love about the Russians the dates are plain - not hieroglyphic date codes! Only two factories the Kaluga Voskhod factory (rockets) and the Saratov Reflektor factory. Now it comes down to years of production - as I mentioned straight forward. Lastly, and most important, construction. Now if you go back to my old posts there are lots of pictures. On the old thread, on number #8596 is the review I wrote then of the various Voskhods. This covers the shield variations pretty thrpughly. I wrote this before I came across the single wire getter post variant. Why do they sound so good? Who knows! Why were they made differently? Who knows! They are differently made, that's obvious. Don't worry about figuring out this stuff right off if you are new to tubes, you'll pick it up. Just try some of the cheaper ones and see what you like best. Sell the ones you don't - there is a large market for the 6922 type tube as they were used by lots of manufacturers in all kinds of audio equipment. Good luck! Happy tunes!

Feb 22, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #1,296 of 23,494
In fair disclosure I do sell the extras I get on Ebay. I also act as a matcher - I have bought lots and lots of these, since Russian, Moldovian, and Ukraine dealers either don't tell you exactly what the are selling, have inconsistent pictures to their descriptions, or just send you different tubes from what they show! Like tube Russian roulette - every once in a while you get lucky. But what do you do with all the tubes you had to buy to get what you want - fustrating! On top of that a fair number fial testing!! UGG! Worse if you complain they blackball you! Fortunately, I do have a tester, so I toss out the used up tubes, or the ones that fair gas emissions tests. I then match them by yr, month if possible and output. I really just looking for the rarest tubes as I've mentioned. There are still plenty of overseas sellers - I think these are still great values - but how long before their prices go up? They used to $10 a pr but that again was for unmatched, random years, sketchy testing, long shipping distances. Even now I recently sold 4pr for $39 - less then $10 a pr. These where '70 Reflektors with dual getters. I won't ever promote an ebay ad I have here. I have gotten much good feedback from folks here who have tried these (often as PMs - there was a bit of a backlash when I first started posting about them here, so I think folks were reluctant to invite the flames). But there have been many others who have posted good results with the 6n23ps, so it's not just me. In fact, I was silent for along time, and noticed a seachange in folks attitude/prejudices/openmindedness regading these. Occuring spontanteously, with folks honest reactions and experiences - great! I think they are being fairly viewed now. That said - they are not for everyone! What tube is? Well the $500/pr '60 gray shield Seimens and Halaske CCa - everyone likes these! But look at the varying option on the Amerepexs. In the end - it's what works for you. It's your system, your ears, your money! I have been into audio for 3 decades owning all kinds of equipment, all kinds of tweeks. In my opinion, upgrading your tubes is the cheapest bang for the buck in audio. Of course they will eventually burn out - but where else in high end audio can you get such an improvement for $40, $70, $100, even $150 dollars?

I hear ya!  I was pretty sure that's what you're doing, and trust me, after trolling through eBay and seeing the big lots saying "from the 70s and 80s" my hat's off to you for basically making matched pairs available.  You're providing a service, IMO.  Maybe if I had the time and $$$ to invest in a tube tester, I'd join in the fun, but that's not happening any time soon.

So when I stumble across two pairs of '74 Rockets for $48 shipped, and their both good, I count myself lucky.  I hope these '60s Reflectors are just as lucky 
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #1,297 of 23,494
  It seems to be a case of what is earliest is best with the Bugle Boys - the 1950's D Getters are meant to be best (but will be the most expensive).  I have not heard these.  The early 1960's O Getters are great, and will be a bit cheaper.

BBs, Siemens CCas... you name it :wink:  Most people will say older is better (V Rockets being one exception, it seems).  I'd love to compare my BB SM to regular BBs from the same era to the 'D' getters (those, I think I will pick up this year, if available).  Fortunately, mercedesman seems to be able to keep them in stock and the prices reasonable.  I'm not sure why he priced his '65 BB SM higher than the '61s; test results maybe.  All I know is, they sound damn good 
smily_headphones1.gif

It's fun down the rabbit hole!

Feb 22, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #1,298 of 23,494
I wish I could but posting pics is to hard on my tablet. There is no link I know of on these. But it's not to complicated. The one thing I love about the Russians the dates are plain - not hieroglyphic date codes! Only two factories the Kaluga Voskhod factory (rockets) and the Saratov Reflektor factory. Now it comes down to years of production - as I mentioned straight forward. Lastly, and most important, construction. Now if you go back to my old posts there are lots of pictures. On the old thread, on number #8596 is the review I wrote then of the various Voskhods. This covers the shield variations pretty thrpughly. I wrote this before I came across the single wire getter post variant. Why do they sound so good? Who knows! Why were they made differently? Who knows! They are differently made, that's obvious. Don't worry about figuring out this stuff right off if you are new to tubes, you'll pick it up. Just try some of the cheap different ones and see what you like best. Sell the ones you don't - there is a large market for the 6922 type tube as they were used by lots of manufacturers in all kinds of audio equipment. Good luck! Happy tunes!

I got my hands on a vintage Voskhods single wire getter kit from 1972.
Did you have the chance to try them?
I'd like to know how it would rate itself on your top chart?
Thanks again for you constructive messages!

Feb 22, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #1,299 of 23,494
I hear ya!  I was pretty sure that's what you're doing, and trust me, after trolling through eBay and seeing the big lots saying "from the 70s and 80s" my hat's off to you for basically making matched pairs available.  You're providing a service, IMO.  Maybe if I had the time and $$$ to invest in a tube tester, I'd join in the fun, but that's not happening any time soon.

So when I stumble across two pairs of '74 Rockets for $48 shipped, and their both good, I count myself lucky.  I hope these '60s Reflectors are just as lucky :D
Some of the Russian dealers are starting to catch on. That was a great deal you got on the Rockets. We're doing a great service to America getting as many of these here as possible! Lol!! Good luck on the Reflektors - be sure to post your impressions.

Feb 22, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #1,300 of 23,494
I got my hands on a vintage Voskhods single wire getter kit from 1972.
Did you have the chance to try them?
I'd like to know how it would rate itself on your top chart?
Thanks again for you constructive messages!
Yes they are very good. The '72s are in the very good column. They do lack a bit of the musicality and flow of the '75s. The '74s in between. This applies to the single wire getter post versions. And applies to the single wire getter post Reflektors. The '75 gray shield plate post Voskhods are right up there with the '74 single wire posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back