Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Feb 22, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #1,276 of 23,494
There are two versions of the Reflektors - and a big difference between the two. The common ones have dual dimpled getter posts - these are ok in the '60s and '70s dates. Some of the very best 6922 I have even owned are the rare 70s single wire getter post Reflektors. The '75 gray and silver shields (the gray are now my person favorites), therse also showup very rarely as Voskhod Rockets as well. The '74 Silvers with wire getter post are also very, very good. Also like the'75 Voskhod gray sield plate posts - very, very good. So bottomline look for the wire getter post in the ebay pics. Also try and find matching years - better matching months as well, although not as important. Mixing a 1971 and 1973 for example seems to muddy the soudstage and detail. Good Luck!v

I just bought a kit of Reflectors for my LCD-2/Lyr combination.
You seem to have a good knowledge about these...
Coul'd you tell me about the model a got?
Your impressions?
Here's the link to the eBay page:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4PCS-6N23P-E88CC-6922-6DJ8-NOS-REFLECTOR-MILITARY-RARE-70-SAME-DATE-/141193688261?ssPageName=ADME%3AL%3AOU%3ACA%3A3160&nma=true&si=%252FQpT5CfTvyZqkEAl6zWDaDGpp2g%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Thanks!

Feb 22, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #1,278 of 23,494
  Any suggestions as to the year/getter that would work out best with the HE500?

I've only heard my BBs, and my '67 Orange Globes.  For me, both pair well with the HE-500s.

It's always a YMMV game with tubes, it seems.  Having read most if not all of the old thread, and all of this one, there are always differences of opinion.  If you're willing to take an occasional loss (call it a rental fee :wink: you can probably sell tubes you don't like or no longer need.

Feb 22, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #1,279 of 23,494

It's Reflectors - Reflrector logo prtinted on each tune, but I don't see a year of production and getter type on pictures.

Feb 22, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #1,281 of 23,494
You seem to have a good knowledge about these...
Coul'd you tell me about the model a got?
Your impressions?
Here's the link to the eBay page:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4PCS-6N23P-E88CC-6922-6DJ8-NOS-REFLECTOR-MILITARY-RARE-70-SAME-DATE-/141193688261?ssPageName=ADME%3AL%3AOU%3ACA%3A3160&nma=true&si=%252FQpT5CfTvyZqkEAl6zWDaDGpp2g%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Thanks!
Those are the more common Reflektors with dual getter posts. They're not bad and a quad for $24 - how do you beat that! Common characteristics of the Russian 6n23p: very quiet, highly durable, low microphonics (they seem to use a thicker glass then the Euro and US manufactures), good bass and dynamics. Now the best add high and low frequency extension, very high levels of detail (I hear faint background instruments and vocals deep into the mix - that I've not heard with other tubes), this high level of detail add to a three demensional holographic quality to the soundstage, the sound stage itself widens and deepens. Now the very rarest and best add a magical musicality, a natural flow to the music that is captivating - never harsh or etched. These rare versions are the best 6922 type tube I have ever owned. One caveat, do to the extreme detail and extension, some may find these a bit foward. It depends on your upstream source - mine is a pretty expensive computer server with a tubed dac. So it comes down to a matter or taste as always. In my system the Amerpex OG where soft with a tubby bass - I had better luck with Amperex USN-CEP white label 7308s. But in the end prefered the very best Russians due mainly to that magical flow they have. It's why I love tubes, the ability to reach that higher level of performance. I use the HD800 with the Moon Black Dragon V2 cable, but owned the HE500s for awhile. The HE500s have amazing performance, and worked well with my system. I sold because them mainly because the HD800 are more confortable and with the Black Dragon had better, wider soundstaging. The HE500 have excellent dynamics and are really good with vocals. I have not owned the LCDs, but from what I've read they are a bit darker then the stock HD800, the Moon cable darkened the HD800s, and 'cured' some of the treble issues some folks have talked about.

Feb 22, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #1,282 of 23,494
Those are the more common Reflektors with dual getter posts. They're not bad and a quad for $24 - how do you beat that! Common characteristics of the Russian 6n23p: very quiet, highly durable, low microphonics (they seem to use a thicker glass then the Euro and US manufactures), good bass and dynamics. Now the best add high and low frequency extension, very high levels of detail (I hear faint background instruments and vocals deep into the mix - that I've not heard with other tubes), this high level of detail add to a three demensional holographic quality to the soundstage, the sound stage itself widens and deepens. Now the very rarest and best add a magical musicality, a natural flow to the music that is captivating - never harsh or etched. These rare versions are the best 6922 type tube I have ever owned. One caveat, do to the extreme detail and extension, some may find these a bit foward. It depends on your upstream source - mine is a pretty expensive computer server with a tubed dac. So it comes down to a matter or taste as always. In my system the Amerpex OG where soft with a tubby bass - I had better luck with Amperex USN-CEP white label 7308s. But in the end prefered the very best Russians due mainly to that magical flow they have. It's why I love tubes, the ability to reach that higher level of performance. I use the HD800 with the Moon Black Dragon V2 cable, but owned the HE500s for awhile. The HE500s have amazing performance, and worked well with my system. I sold because them mainly because the HD800 are more confortable and with the Black Dragon had better, wider soundstaging. The HE500 have excellent dynamics and are really good with vocals. I have not owned the LCDs, but from what I've read they are a bit darker then the stock HD800, the Moon cable darkened the HD800s, and 'cured' some of the treble issues some folks have talked about.

Great info!
Thanks
And could you tell me how much these finest russians runs?

Feb 22, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #1,283 of 23,494
Feb 22, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #1,285 of 23,494
Great info!
Thanks
And could you tell me how much these finest russians runs?

5000+ hours.

I was thinking @jubjubb meant how much do they cost.  If so, I think the question is, where can they be found?  I think rb2013 had cornered the market! 
wink.gif
  I did manage to find 1974s, but I wouldn't call them golden.

re: how long do they last, I thought they were rated at 10,000 hours.

Feb 22, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #1,287 of 23,494
Yes sorry I'm french...
I ment how much $?
Thanks

Looking at eBay, I think our very own "rb" is listing there (he can confirm or deny :wink:  Regardless of who's store it is, you'll pay US$80-90 for a matched pair from the mid- to early '70s.  If that is our "rb" at least he can be trusted.  I know from reading these threads that he's heard most of those Voskhod Rockets and knows of what he speaks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Voskhod-6N23P-1976-Date-Codes-Gray-Shield-US-SELLER-6922-6DJ8-ECC88-CCa-/231158980915

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Voskhod-6N23P-1972-Date-Codes-Gray-Shield-US-SELLER-6922-6DJ8-ECC88-CCa-/231158977823

Feb 22, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #1,288 of 23,494

I've only heard my BBs, and my '67 Orange Globes.  For me, both pair well with the HE-500s.

It's always a YMMV game with tubes, it seems.  Having read most if not all of the old thread, and all of this one, there are always differences of opinion.  If you're willing to take an occasional loss (call it a rental fee :wink: you can probably sell tubes you don't like or no longer need.

I've found some good prospects, but I have to say these Voskhods are really starting to open up. I think I may not have given them enough time before passing judgement.

Feb 22, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #1,289 of 23,494

I've found some good prospects, but I have to say these Voskhods are really starting to open up. I think I may not have given them enough time before passing judgement.

That's good news.  I like to give them 100 hours or more.  I forget, what year are yours?

Feb 22, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #1,290 of 23,494
  It is good to see some good stuff on these old Reflectors now, there has been too much emphasis on the Voskhods recently overlooking these nice tubes.

I just took a chance on some '60s era Reflectors.  They were cheap, so I figured, Why not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back