Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Feb 21, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #1,261 of 23,493
If I had to choose, warm bass and mids with a lot of life and energy to the delivery would most likely be the main goal I'd want out of the tubes. But again, I'm new to this so it is very well possible I don't know what I want until I find it, I understand this may be trial and error. 

You could try Reflectors 6n23p. Very good description how to choose its a little bit above in this thread by rb2013. You can find its cheap. It's my favorite tubes for rock now.
But be carefull when choose its.
Russian tubes logos can be found here http://www.ominous-valve.com/russtube.html.
Year of production always printed on tybe (year in yy format).

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #1,262 of 23,493

If you find tubes you think might be good, but aren't sure, and if photos are available, post the link here and I'm sure people will be happy to assist.

Thanks, I certainly got some great avenues to start researching. I will link once I draw nearer on my next decision.

I am waiting for another post to clear from mods that I linked where I got my Bugle Boys. I was going to see if anyone had any feedback on if they are kind of a dud model to explain why I wasn't impressed with them, or could validate my findings from their own experience of them just being flat and boring sounding. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #1,263 of 23,493
I understand this may be trial and error. 

Absolutely. The tubes that sound great in my audio chain may not necessarily sound the best in yours. Too many variables.

With that said, please don't become discouraged. It will all be worth it when you find the tubes that provide that perfect synergy.

beerchug.gif

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #1,264 of 23,493
Thanks, I certainly got some great avenues to start researching. I will link once I draw nearer on my next decision.

I am waiting for another post to clear from mods that I linked where I got my Bugle Boys. I was going to see if anyone had any feedback on if they are kind of a dud model to explain why I wasn't impressed with them, or could validate my findings from their own experience of them just being flat and boring sounding. 
It almost sounds like you'd like a neutral, detailed tube- one that presents music closely accurate to the recording. How much you're comfortable spending is something to consider. Telefunken are known for their neutrality and detail. Many Amperex are detailed and quite far from boring, but the best Amperex are expensive- same is true for Siemens. That's not to say to you have to spend a lot to get great sound though.

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #1,265 of 23,493
It almost sounds like you'd like a neutral, detailed tube- one that presents music closely accurate to the recording. How much you're comfortable spending is something to consider. Telefunken are known for their neutrality and detail. Many Amperex are detailed and quite far from boring, but the best Amperex are expensive- same is true for Siemens. That's not to say to you have to spend a lot to get great sound.

Good recommendation! See ashpon, you came to the right place.
smile.gif

Has anyone tried the PCC88 7-volt Telefunken versions that Upscale Audio sells for about half the price of the E88CCs?

I haven't heard that particular PCC88 personally, but it might be worth a try...

Feb 21, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #1,266 of 23,493
  Absolutely. The tubes that sound great in my audio chain may not necessarily sound the best in yours. Too many variables.

With that said, please don't become discouraged. It will all be worth it when you find the tubes that provide that perfect synergy.

beerchug.gif

Yup, I'll keep working at it. I'm sure the satisfaction of the perfect tube configuration is quite dreamy. Endless hours of research on various subjects tends to be a hobby of mine, so it starting to sound like tubes will match that hobby quite well. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #1,267 of 23,493
It almost sounds like you'd like a neutral, detailed tube- one that presents music closely accurate to the recording. How much you're comfortable spending is something to consider. Telefunken are known for their neutrality and detail. Many Amperex are detailed and quite far from boring, but the best Amperex are expensive- same is true for Siemens. That's not to say to you have to spend a lot to get great sound though.

Ya I think you are onto something with the neutrality perhaps being to my liking. I'll give some more research time into such tube offerings. Worth a try! I appreciate your response. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #1,268 of 23,493
  You could try Reflectors 6n23p. Very good description how to choose its a little bit above in this thread by rb2013. You can find its cheap. It's my favorite tubes for rock now.
But be carefull when choose its.
Russian tubes logos can be found here http://www.ominous-valve.com/russtube.html.
Year of production always printed on tybe (year in yy format).

Thanks for the suggestion. I think ThurstonX advised I avoid Reflectors unless I misunderstood him, but as I think we can all agree on here is that the each set-up is its own microcosm, and a Reflector could actually be great for me. I'll give some research into your suggestion, revisit rb2013's post, and ensure accuracy when purchasing Russian tubes. 

My pen has been busy taking notes. Thanks guys. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #1,269 of 23,493
  Thanks for the suggestion. I think ThurstonX advised I avoid Reflectors unless I misunderstood him, but as I think we can all agree on here is that the each set-up is its own microcosm, and a Reflector could actually be great for me. I'll give some research into your suggestion, revisit rb2013's post, and ensure accuracy when purchasing Russian tubes. 

My pen has been busy taking notes. Thanks guys. 

I was referring to my Super-Cryo'd 1983 Reflectors.  Sorry, should have been more specific.

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #1,270 of 23,493
Ya I think you are onto something with the neutrality perhaps being to my liking. I'll give some more research time into such tube offerings. Worth a try! I appreciate your response. 
Take it from a longtime Bottlehead - you'll eventually find the right tubes - that present that magical combination. It's kinda of like the combination to a lock - you'll know when you've found it - it just clicks! Sometimes it's an intial infatuation, it's when you find that longterm love that's great. You'll find you're just completely satified. But if you get a bit bored you can always try something else. Good thing about the Lyr you don't have to unscrew the cover to swap tubes. My damn amps have 8 screws on the lids!

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #1,271 of 23,493
I was referring to my Super-Cryo'd 1983 Reflectors.  Sorry, should have been more specific.
Just to clarify from my previous post - on the Russian 6n23p the getter is that little disc near the top that looks like an inverted flying saucer(I always found that kinda cool). The getter post is what holds it up in mid-air. On some rare Reflektors and some rare Voskhods it is a thin curved wire - those are very good. Depending on year they can be excellent. Other Reflecktors have two dimpled plates holding the getter - these are more common and not as good sounding. On most Voskhods there is a flat plate that is intregral with the shield. The shield in kinda on the outside between the plates. It's actually an electrostatic shield. There is one both sides, one side with getter post. The shields can be either gray or silver. The Reflektors have these shields as well. The same applies to Seimens CCas - at least the shield coloring. Hope that clears up any confusion. My experience with the new production EV and EB is they are ok, nothng special - even the cryod ones I bought from Cryoset. Good luck! n

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #1,272 of 23,493
Here's a fun read for y'all.

Firebottles FTW!!!

biggrin.gif

Oh, and it's totally worth getting to the end.  We've all heard it before, just not in the author's hilariously outlandish language.  You'll know it when you read it.  Sniffing getter gas indeed 
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #1,273 of 23,493
  Here's a fun read for y'all.

Firebottles FTW!!!

biggrin.gif

Oh, and it's totally worth getting to the end.  We've all heard it before, just not in the author's hilariously outlandish language.  You'll know it when you read it.  Sniffing getter gas indeed 
wink.gif

Great stuff! Thanks for the link!
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back