Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Feb 12, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #1,217 of 23,494
So, I'm curious about something...

I did a search of this thread just to get an idea of the sound signature of the stock GE tubes that ship with the Lyr (my Lyr will be arriving in a few days--- thanks Jexby -- along with a pair of 75' VRockets) and I wanted to give the GEs their due time before rolling in the VRockets). Anyways, I digress... I saw in the description of the GE tubes a reference to a "halo-like effect". Can someone expand on what that means exactly?

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #1,218 of 23,494
  So, I'm curious about something...

I did a search of this thread just to get an idea of the sound signature of the stock GE tubes that ship with the Lyr (my Lyr will be arriving in a few days--- thanks Jexby -- along with a pair of 75' VRockets) and I wanted to give the GEs their due time before rolling in the VRockets). Anyways, I digress... I saw in the description of the GE tubes a reference to a "halo-like effect". Can someone expand on what that means exactly?

Can't answer your question, since I've never run the GEs.  Just wanted to say, give them a good 50 hours before passing judgement.  I wonder what you'll think of the Rockets.  I just rolled in a pair of 1974 Rockets, and even without letting them warm up, or my brain wake up, I thought they sounded damn fine, esp. for the price.

I'm curious now as to what the halo-like effect might be.

Enjoy!

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #1,219 of 23,494
So I ended up getting a pair of used Phillips JAN 6922s with the green label. Compared to the stock the JJ tubes, they sound brighter and have a better soundstage. However, they are more noisy when not playing music and are very microphonic. I didn't get the "low noise" pairs, so this may have been the case.

I was listening to Oaklawn UFO by The Flashbulb, on the JJs they sort of mashed the sounds from left/right and threw it towards the center. They sounded very claustrophobic and everything sounded too close to my head with a slight treble veil (did not like it).

On the JANs, the drums on the left were separated farther from center and everything sounded less claustrophobic. I got a more "out of your head" like sound and drums on Oaklawn UFO were slightly brighter, making everything sound a bit less veiled... Love it! 
smily_headphones1.gif

For $25 on the pair I'm very happy with their performance.

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #1,220 of 23,494
Back on the Amperex train with the HE500's. The Ediswan (Brimar) are great, but there's no wow factor. I've realized if tubes don't have a wow factor, then keep rolling. The Amperex are near perfect- beautiful clarity, deep and impactful bass- just wish the soundstage is a bit wider. Not ready to spend more $ yet for the 500's "it" tube, not that I really know what this is anyways. Wish mercedesman had some Bugleboy D getters, probably wouldn't be able to pass these up. Brent has a few though, maybe someday soon.

Feb 15, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #1,221 of 23,494
Don't discount the standard mid 60's Bugle Boys, O getter (nice prices these days and available). They have a wow factor in my system but YMMV.

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #1,222 of 23,494

Can't answer your question, since I've never run the GEs.  Just wanted to say, give them a good 50 hours before passing judgement.  I wonder what you'll think of the Rockets.  I just rolled in a pair of 1974 Rockets, and even without letting them warm up, or my brain wake up, I thought they sounded damn fine, esp. for the price.

I'm curious now as to what the halo-like effect might be.

Enjoy!

I'm not too worried about it. I think it might be a reference to another tube with a halo getter. I got my Lyr on Friday with just a couple hours before work to listen before work. I thought the GEs sounded fine... Well, it's more a matter of not having a basis for comparison, but I'm going to give them a solid 50 hours before rolling int the Voskhods.

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #1,225 of 23,494
I tried the Bakelite 9pin tube socket testers from eBay.  

There is a lot of noise introduced when using these.
Not sure if this was said before in the 700 pages before this, but thought I'd just put that out there.

Happy rollin'

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #1,228 of 23,494
  For use with AKG K702's and possibly soon Sennheiser HD650, best tubes under a $100 and available.

Thanks guys...roll on!

You are mentioning a fairly neutral can and pretty warm can there, so I don't know if you'll find one that is best for both. The Orange Globes really compliment my K702 AE. Will be trying some Bugle Boys soon as well, but I don't think you can go wrong with the OGs if you have a signature that could use a little warming up such as the K702. They also work pretty well with the HD 600, although I think I'd want something not as warm as the OGs for that one since it's a fairly warm signature already. I imagine they wouldn't be the best for the HD 650, but I don't have experience with that specific can and the Lyr (hope to soon, though).

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #1,229 of 23,494

Those are the ones.  He also has 1965s for which he's charging a bit more.  I didn't look at the listings, but maybe they tested better.  You could ask him, though you'd probably have to wait for an answer, as he's away 'til next week.

Brouken Air:
re: shipping to outside the US, it's probably stuck in customs.  If you got a tracking number from him, you can find out from the USPS.com site, or this one: http://www.trackitonline.ru/

It's effectively stuck (since monday apparently), because there was no papers with... I got the mail right now from the customs. I should get the pack and bring the invoice (50 kms!!). Mercedesman has surely nice products and the delivery services were cheap, but finally it will cost me more than having higher fees (papers should always be joined outside the box!). I think it's worth knowing that when you order. For example my Schiit amp, took 4 days from the US with fedex! Russian tubes coming from Ukraine with standard mail but with papers on the box, 10 days... I would have liked to order the bugle boys from him, and I sent him a mail to ask if he could send the packs with other methods. I am awaiting his answer as he's on holliday, so you see it's not a major affair and trust is there whith such a brilliant advocate as you Thurston 

I received the Orange Globes from Mercedesman blocked at the customs because the bill was inside the box and not on the box. After getting them at the customs (100 kms), I started to test the tubes. One of the tube emited a strange noise and I thought it could go away with a break-in period... but it died an hour after...
I sent this mail to Mercedesman:

"Hi,

First, the pack was at the custom blocked because the bill was inside the box (always place it in a plastic sleeve on the box!!!), so the information you gave me was wrong. 
Second after an hour of testing on my Lyr one of the tube died! As I put it in there was a noticeable noise on the channel (independant from music playing or not, and from level). I thought this would go away with a break-in period, but he died after delivering an awfull noise.

Consequence is that I have made in total 100 kms to get those tubes after having waited a bit less than one month and was delivered a faulty tube! As you might understand, I am not happy and would like to know what you intend to do?

Charles"

This was last Friday and I still have no answer. This is what was indicated on his Ebay shop
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I PERSONALLY purchase, clean, identify, test, and stand behind every tube on this site. I have a small company. You will deal with me personally.
I want to see you happy with your purchase. I will never sell a tube that is below standard……I destroy those tubes. I will not sell a tube that I feel will not last or has been abused. 
I have sold many tubes here on Ebay, and all my customers have been completely satisfied. I will work with you in good faith if there are any problems, or if you are unsatisfied in any way.
I want your business now and in the future, so I assume you are the boss, and I am the employee.
All tubes are tested for shorts, continuity, and emissions.
International buyers please DO NOT pay until we can invoice you for the proper shipping and handling. 
Domestic buyers I always ship UPSP first class small package no matter what it says in the listing.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There sems to be a gap between the commercial statements and the behaviour. 

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #1,230 of 23,494
There sems to be a gap between the commercial statements and the behaviour. 
Sorry to hear of your recent disappointing experiences. Mercedesman will hopefully fix this issue. Many here, myself included, can testify that he is a great guy to deal with and is very honest. It seems likely there's a good reason you haven't heard back from him yet. Hopefully you will have a satisfying resolution soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back