Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jan 30, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #1,157 of 23,494
  Can someone tell me the difference between telefunken e288cc and siemens e288cc since the siemens are cheaper.
I have the hifiman HE-500

http://users.belgacom.net/TubeFest/index.html?lang=en-us&target=d4.html

I wanted to buy a Siemens E288CC but I have been warned that a lot of these tubes, are microphonic. If you see those tubes at Upscale Audio, theyre are stating that the tubes are microphonic. I just received a microphonic tube and it's really bothering...
biggrin.gif

I don't know anything about the Telefunken!

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #1,159 of 23,494
Feb 1, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #1,162 of 23,494
Hi all,

I'm a new owner of a LYR (4 days now) and am in the burn in process for it and my recent purchase of an OPPO 105 and HE-500 cans. I am upgrading from a Ming Da MC34B, Oppo BD83 and HE-300 cans. The Ming Da sounds great but can be a little fatiguing over time (Chinese tubes?).

I just finished reading this entire thread and picked all of your brains for some great ideas. Today, I purchased some tube savers and a couple pairs of tubes to try my hand at improving the sound of my Lyr through the art of tube rolling. Mine came with NOS GE 6BQ7A tubes and sounds good, not fatiguing but from what I picked up here, it can sound a lot better. I mainly listen to HiRes audio through either SACD, DVD Audio, BluRay Audio disks or HDTracks downloads through the Oppos USB and off of a hard drive. Mostly Jazz, Classic Rock and Classical.

I already have some old 6DJ8s from a 80s preamp (RAM Tube Works) and a couple of 6N1 and 6N1P-EV tube pairs from the Ming Da to try and will do so after this thing settles in. I will be rewiring the Ming Da to accept 12AX7 triodes instead of the 6N2s it came with so the Lyr will be my main source for quite awhile. I won't do any tube rolling until I get the socket savers from TubeMonger. I also ordered a set of his Tesla Ecc83s to try out. I do love the fact this amp can take some many different tube types. Opens up a lot of possibilities.

Thanks everyone. I will report back on my tube experiences.

Mike

Feb 1, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #1,163 of 23,494
  Hi all,

I'm a new owner of a LYR (4 days now) and am in the burn in process for it and my recent purchase of an OPPO 105 and HE-500 cans. I am upgrading from a Ming Da MC34B, Oppo BD83 and HE-300 cans. The Ming Da sounds great but can be a little fatiguing over time (Chinese tubes?).

I just finished reading this entire thread and picked all of your brains for some great ideas. Today, I purchased some tube savers and a couple pairs of tubes to try my hand at improving the sound of my Lyr through the art of tube rolling. Mine came with NOS GE 6BQ7A tubes and sounds good, not fatiguing but from what I picked up here, it can sound a lot better. I mainly listen to HiRes audio through either SACD, DVD Audio, BluRay Audio disks or HDTracks downloads through the Oppos USB and off of a hard drive. Mostly Jazz, Classic Rock and Classical.

I already have some old 6DJ8s from a 80s preamp (RAM Tube Works) and a couple of 6N1 and 6N1P-EV tube pairs from the Ming Da to try and will do so after this thing settles in. I will be rewiring the Ming Da to accept 12AX7 triodes instead of the 6N2s it came with so the Lyr will be my main source for quite awhile. I won't do any tube rolling until I get the socket savers from TubeMonger. I also ordered a set of his Tesla Ecc83s to try out. I do love the fact this amp can take some many different tube types. Opens up a lot of possibilities.

Thanks everyone. I will report back on my tube experiences.

Mike

Welcome to the club.  I trust you didn't mean ECC83s for the Lyr.  ECC88s?  Those will work.

I rolled my 1967 Amperex Orange Globes a couple days ago and have really been enjoying what they're doing with my (fairly heavily modded) HE-500s.

Feb 1, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #1,164 of 23,494
Thanks ThurstonX. You are right, it was  a typo. They are ECC88 Teslas I ordered from TubeMonger. I have so many tubes from my old VTL and Audible Illusions days, I get confused!

Here's the link to them : http://www.tubemonger.com/Tesla_NOT_JJ_M_Pairs_MINT_NOS_ECC88_Tesla_Ro_nov_p/702.htm

I'm interested in your mods for the HE-500s. You have a post on another thread for those? I will probably replace the stock cables first.

Feb 1, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #1,165 of 23,494
  Thanks ThurstonX. You are right, it was  a typo. They are ECC88 Teslas I ordered from TubeMonger. I have so many tubes from my old VTL and Audible Illusions days, I get confused!

Here's the link to them : http://www.tubemonger.com/Tesla_NOT_JJ_M_Pairs_MINT_NOS_ECC88_Tesla_Ro_nov_p/702.htm

I'm interested in your mods for the HE-500s. You have a post on another thread for those? I will probably replace the stock cables first.

jerg has a couple threads for the ones he came up with (search for regrilling (or, re-grilling), fuzzor, and jergpads).  I've done those, though at the moment I've switched to using AKG Q701 pads on my HE-500s.  Oh, and I got a cable from plusSounds I really like (much better than the stock, IMO).  Not cheap, but for me, worth it.  I did add some sleeving to the stock cable, which helps a bit, but it still exhibits a bit of microphonics.

Enjoy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's a fun (loooooong) thread, if you haven't seen it:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/551345/hifiman-he-500-he-as-in-high-end-impressions-and-feedback

Feb 1, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #1,166 of 23,494
  So it shouldn't be any difference between the siemens and telefunken ? because the telefunken are twice more expensive so I want to know if it worth 100$ more 

I suggest that you learn to read and interpret tube codes. If the Siemens and Telefunken branded tubes were in fact manufactured in the same factory at about the same time, then they are identical in every way it matters. Logos and paint have no affect on sound. :)

Feb 2, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #1,168 of 23,494

The 12AU7 does not work in the Lyr without a special adapter. So scratch that one. If you like the Amperex sound, with its warmer midrange, comparable tubes to the Telefunken E88CC would be a Holland-made Amperex E88CC or a USA-made Amperex 6922.

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #1,169 of 23,494

Those Telefunkens are not from the same year, assuming the pix are of the actual tuebs.  Not sure if that matters to you, but the date codes suggest 1968 and 1971.  Doesn't mean they won't work together.  Just sayin'.

Here's a quick tutorial on dating Telefunkens, using a real code as an example:

U is the Ulm plant where it was made
reverse the first two numbers for the date which would be 21
the 3rd and 5th number is the month which is October
the 4th digit is the last number of the year which is 1974
That means the tube was made Oct 21,1974 in the Ulm plant

and one other crucial bit of info:
"Tubes after 1968 started with a letter indicating the plant and seven numbers that followed.Since we were past the year 1964 which has a 4 in the number,the only logical conclusion would be 1974."
(quote from Michael Samra, as posted here)

mercedesman (TubeHunter) on eBay usually has a lot of Amperex pairs.  As I noted above, I'm digging my 1967 Orange Globes with the HE-500s.  mercedesman recommended the Bugle Boy Straightman, and I'm glad he did.  I got a 1961 pair, and they're awesome.  I'd rate them above the OGs.  He definitely had a few Straight Man pairs a week or so ago.

Feb 3, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #1,170 of 23,494
Hey everybody!
I have a lot of fun reading on this tread.
So I've finally got my hand on a Schiit Lyr!
I 'm new to hifi sound world, so I'd like to get some help from you guys.

I've ordered a LCD-2 pair 2 month ago, still backorder 
confused_face.gif
, but the seller told me that they would ship really soon!
Since I got the headphone amp and that I sold my old Grado SR 325 to get a little money for my gear, the only headphones I have to test the different tubes I got with the amp is some Sennheiser PX90, and iPhone ear buds...

To my surprise, both headphones blown.
When I powered up the amp with the headphones plugged in, the drivers burnt!
But if I power up the amp first, then I plug in the headphones, everything plays nice.

I'm wondering guys if you could tell me if it's a normal thing?
I know these headphones are low impedance, but I thought the amp could run about everything...

The thing is that I'm scared to try the LCD-2 when I get them.
I'm lost here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back