Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jan 25, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #1,111 of 23,494
Thurston,

These are effectively a lot of tubes, but I don't think I will test in depth all the tubes.I will select the ones worth, maybe 3 tubes and test these with all the music. The CCAs are wonderful for orchestral music and all the well recorded chamber & piano, but trebles are somewhat analytical... I hope I will find a pair of tubes, maybe having less definition which I could use for those records. I don't want to find a universal tube! And changing my Cans is out of question. The tubes are a good investment, due to the fact that you can resell them without losing too much money. I am done with hardware swapping, this is costing too much and would harm my music budget which is for me the most important! Of course the new HE560 will be better than the HE500, maybe the Audeze LCD3 too. But with the Schiit Lyr I have achieved the results, I wanted, well over my most optimistic hopes and I am trying to optimize this setup as well as possible, that's all (and tube rolling is really fun...
wink.gif
).

Charles

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #1,112 of 23,494
I think I'm preferring the stock tubes on the HD 600 and the Orange Globes on the HD 700. They both sound similar on a K702 AE, but I haven't listened as much on those cans. Was thinking about picking up some Bugle Boys. Does that sound like a decent direction to go?

Jan 25, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #1,113 of 23,494
  I wanted to test the CCA with classical piano. A lot of my recordings are old recordings (Sviatoslav Richter, Miecyslaw Horszowski, Clara Haskill, Clifford Curzon, Claudio Arrau...), meaning a lot of coughings, doors closing, sonic distorsion, 'Rauschen' and all these beautiful things which are making the charm of those recordings...
biggrin.gif

Obviously the CCAs are not very forgiving, as soon as there's a little distorsion in the trebbles, it becomes harsh and induce listening "fatique". As I am listening at high volume (but reasonable 
eek.gif
), this is really exasperating!!!
Maybe the tubes, I have ordered could cope with that!
These are the monsters, I ordered:
Buggle Boys,
Orange Globe,
Brimar CV 2492 Cryo,
Ediswan 6BQ7A Cryo,
Tesla E88CC golden pins,
Some Russian rockets at very low price.

I would like to have your advices on that... As I am listening to a Beethoven sonata the Appassionata played by Annie Fischer and it's again a miracle of articulation and timing, dynamics are just perfect! Basses are now to die for (they have improved with the Burn-in and still do (+- 80 hours) and middles are liquid gold.
Timing is essential in playing Bach 'The tempered Clavier', as this music is really about time and space (listen to Miecyslaw Horszowski or Sviatoslav Richter). 

So the qualities requested for the new tubes would be those of the CCAs , but maybe a bit less analytical though not too warm, an a huge sense of timing. + Rich mids with a touch of liquidity + forgiving trebbles whith lot of air qualities + Bass well mastered. If anyone know a tube corresponding to that desciption, please tell me (but maybe it's a Graal again) + a large stage and enough depth.

For the sonically good recordings of Piano, the CCAs are just perfect and I am currently relistening all my recordings matching. When I will receive all my tubes, I will make a complete review of the tubes which are of interest (but maybe I am spoiled by the CCAs!!! Naturally this review will be targeted vs classical music...
deadhorse.gif
 Nobody's perfect...

Have all a nice morning or afternoon or evening.

Charles

On the 

I think you would really like the Amperex PQ White Label 6922 with Large O-Getter Gold Pins made in USA.  Or maybe the Valvo E88CC Red Labels made in Hamburg O-Getter that I just got.  Still demoing the Valvo tubes, so I can't say for sure on them just yet.

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #1,114 of 23,494
  I think I'm preferring the stock tubes on the HD 600 and the Orange Globes on the HD 700. They both sound similar on a K702 AE, but I haven't listened as much on those cans. Was thinking about picking up some Bugle Boys. Does that sound like a decent direction to go?

I slightly prefer Orange Globes over Bugle Boys with my HD 650.  But Bugle Boys are nice tubes, especially if you can find some made in the late 50's or early 60's with a D-getter or large O-getter.  

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #1,115 of 23,494
Well one of the Valvo tubes croaked on me tonight.  I am not very happy about it as I was really loving those tubes.  Hoping the seller can get me another of the same tube.  Have the Amperex PQ 6922 White Label USA back in the Lyr.  She's glowing nice and pretty tonight.

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #1,117 of 23,494
Have the Amperex PQ 6922 White Label USA back in the Lyr.  She's glowing nice and pretty tonight.

So wait, are there different versions of the Lyr? If so, what are the differences and how can you tell?

Jan 25, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #1,119 of 23,494
Theres no different versions of the Lyr. Bifrost yes.

Ugh. Totally read that wrong. Yeah, I know about the different versions of the Biifrost. Decided to not chance picking up something used and just bought new today instead.

Jan 26, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #1,121 of 23,494

I think you would really like the Amperex PQ White Label 6922 with Large O-Getter Gold Pins made in USA.  Or maybe the Valvo E88CC Red Labels made in Hamburg O-Getter that I just got.  Still demoing the Valvo tubes, so I can't say for sure on them just yet.

Just from what I read the Orange Globes seem too be quite warm and forgiving, are the PQ Amperex more neutral? How would you describe their sounding?

Jan 26, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #1,122 of 23,494
*******S O L D************

Looking for the best Mullard E188CC/7308 type pair you'll ever find for your Lyr...NOS 1967 Mullard 4109's on the For Sale Forum.
Continental USA only.  Steal of a price.  PM me.

Jan 27, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #1,124 of 23,494
I'm really considering buying the Lyr (the other choice will be v200) for my HE-500.
I don't have the time to go through this thread and the old one , so is there anyone who can do a quick sum up of 
the top tubes for this combo ? 
regular_smile .gif

Budget : 100$-200$ (max)
thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back