Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jan 17, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #1,036 of 23,494

I paid $80 for my 1967 pair from mercedesman on eBay.  Didn't really shop around after that.  He usually has some stock.

Can you link me to this guy? I'm not finding that storefront at all.

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #1,037 of 23,494
  Can you link me to this guy? I'm not finding that storefront at all.

TUBEHUNTER is his store front.  I see at least one pair of Orange Globes (not to be confused with Orange Label).  At $70 they may be A frames from early 70s.  I got lots of hits on "Amperex Orange Globe" just searching eBay in general.  Good luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seems all the recent chatter re: 1960s era Orange Globes drove a lot of people to his site.  Not sure if they're of interest to you, but he recommended to me quite highly the Bugle Boy Straight Man.  I got a pair of 1961s, and they're awesome at that price.  I prefer them to my OGs, which are still great and have their place/cans.

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #1,039 of 23,494
I know information is spotty on this, but can anyone identify these Siemens codes from my CCas?

A4/9L
or
A4
9L

as stamped on the plate inside.....

If your tubes have gray shields, then the tubes were made in 1969, that's the "9" part.
The A4 is a production code for the 4th series.
A0 was the earliest production series run, A1, A2..... and so on.

Jan 18, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #1,041 of 23,494
If your tubes have gray shields, then the tubes were made in 1969, that's the "9" part.
The A4 is a production code for the 4th series.
A0 was the earliest production series run, A1, A2..... and so on.

Thanks a lot for the reply 
smile.gif
  Can you tell by the photos here if it's 1969 or 1979?  Sorry for being a tube noob.  I appreciate your knowledge and assistance.

Jan 18, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #1,042 of 23,494
Seems all the recent chatter re: 1960s era Orange Globes drove a lot of people to his site.  Not sure if they're of interest to you, but he recommended to me quite highly the Bugle Boy Straight Man.  I got a pair of 1961s, and they're awesome at that price.  I prefer them to my OGs, which are still great and have their place/cans.

Might as well pick up a pair of those as well just to try!

Jan 18, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #1,044 of 23,494
I'll ask it this way and see what I get. Pairing the Lyr with the HD 700. Besides the OGs, what are other top tubes I should check out?

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #1,045 of 23,494
Hi,

I can't seem to open up the link you provided.

Are you able to save the photo and post it as an attachment on this forum?

I should be able to provide an answer then.

Cheers !

Ah, probably because the URL is tied to my eBay account.  Good to know their security works 
wink.gif

Here are a couple screenshots I took while mousing over the small photo to get the zoomed image.  Hopefully they'll be big enough in Head-Fi, but if not, I'll throw them in Dropbox.  Again, really appreciate your help.

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #1,046 of 23,494
I'll ask it this way and see what I get. Pairing the Lyr with the HD 700. Besides the OGs, what are other top tubes I should check out?

Assuming there's an HD 700 thread, and how could there not be, did you ask there?  May have a better chance finding someone with that combo in that thread.  Not a bad idea to post in both threads, of course.

Jan 18, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #1,047 of 23,494
The first set I rolled into the Lyr was my normal all-time favorites, a set of 1964 Amperex white labels that had been doing time in my DAC.  I was shocked and surprised to find that they sounded pretty bad in the Lyr.  Harsh and a bit distorted even.  Thinking that perhaps I had fried them I swapped them back into the main system DAC and they were fine.  Hmm.  So next up were a set of old Telefunken gold pins which were very sweet sounding but seemed to lack the bass I thought the Alpha dogs could deliver.  Lastly I tried a matched set of new build Gold Lions that had about 200 hours on them, and boom, the sound in my Alpha Dogs was smooth and full and powerful.  They are staying.  For now I am a happy camper. 

Jan 18, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #1,048 of 23,494
Hi All,

I am new to this forum and I appreciated a lot this thread, I learned quite a lot on tube rolling. I did it once for my amp but that's all. As I ordered a few days ago a Schiit Lyr, I have been tempted by tube rolling.... Being already an audiophile, this will not enhance the status of my bank account. 
My setup concerning Headphones, is following:
- A PC with 12 cores, 8 gb Ram, 6 TB disks and JRiver,
- linked to the PC via USB, a Zodiac Gold + Voltikus,
- Synergistic cables will link the Zodiac to my coming Lyr,
- HE500 Headphone and that's it.

And a Classical flac library which is getting monstruous.... (around 12 hours of listening/day)

I have already ordered Amperex Orange Globes, Bugle Boys, CCA Siemens, Tesla 88ECC, Russian Gold pins Gold grid 6N1P. As you can understand, I am takintg it quite seriously. But I wanted to know if dampers are mandatory, and if so what kind of dampers, there are different models. Should I use a tube extender with the Lyr in order to be able to put the dampers? 

Thanks already for all the informations over tubes and thanks for the coming ones

Charles

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #1,049 of 23,494
Thanks a lot for the reply :smile:   Can you tell by the photos here if it's 1969 or 1979?  Sorry for being a tube noob.  I appreciate your knowledge and assistance.

Ok. Based on your photos, those tubes were made in either 1969 or 1970.
For Siemens tubes, there are sometimes 3 digit numbers printed near the "made in Germany" label.
The last two digits "70" suggests 1970.

The tubes in your photos have the double stage "o" getter support.
In the early 1960s, they had gray shields.
In the late 1960s to early 1970s, the tubes had the same internal structure but with silver shields, which is what your photos show.

Tubes in the late 1970s to 1980s were outsourced to Eastern European countries and have a single "o" getter without the double stage getter support.
The Siemens German factory stopped production from around 1973.
BTW, genuine Siemens German tubes also have the =\= manufacturing symbol too.

Sonically silver shields sound more solid state.
Gray shields tend to have a warmer tubey sound.

Hope this helps! :)

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #1,050 of 23,494
Ok. Based on your photos, those tubes were made in either 1969 or 1970.
For Siemens tubes, there are sometimes 3 digit numbers printed near the "made in Germany" label.
The last two digits "70" suggests 1970.

The tubes in your photos have the double stage "o" getter support.
In the early 1960s, they had gray shields.
In the late 1960s to early 1970s, the tubes had the same internal structure but with silver shields, which is what your photos show.

Tubes in the late 1970s to 1980s were outsourced to Eastern European countries and have a single "o" getter without the double stage getter support.
The Siemens German factory stopped production from around 1973.
BTW, genuine Siemens German tubes also have the =\= manufacturing symbol too.

Sonically silver shields sound more solid state.
Gray shields tend to have a warmer tubey sound.

Hope this helps!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, Lord Soth, that's a huge help.  I've never dealt with that eBay seller before, but I didn't read any negative reviews re: inaccurate or deceptive descriptions.

I'm not getting a real tubey sound from these after about 25 hours, but I'm assuming these are silver shields (the vertical piece with the A4 9L stamped on it?).  I definitely like what I'm hearing.  Don't the later versions have a very thin getter support, like these?

Also, re: the =\= manufacturing symbol, is that literally  =\=  stamped or printed somewhere, and if so, where would it normally appear?  I'll have to pull mine tomorrow and have a closer look.

Anyway, I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge.  I've learned a lot about tubes in the past couple months, but nowhere have I found info like this re: Siemens tubes.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• GSI
Back