Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jan 7, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #1,006 of 23,494
@Textfeud, you should try some Dario Miniwatt E188CCs (if you see them somewhere)  for a change of pace tube, big sound stage (reminiscent of the Siemens) , meaty bass slam, a bit more in the mid-range (as compared to the Siemens).

I too love the Siemens E288CCs  but there is just something a bit more romantic and natural sounding with the Minwatts with essentially the same width of sound stage as the Siemens. I think you would enjoy them based on our conversations and what I read from you on this thread.

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #1,007 of 23,494
  @Textfeud, you should try some Dario Miniwatt E188CCs (if you see them somewhere)  for a change of pace tube, big sound stage (reminiscent of the Siemens) , meaty bass slam, a bit more in the mid-range (as compared to the Siemens).

I too love the Siemens E288CCs  but there is just something a bit more romantic and natural sounding with the Minwatts with essentially the same width of sound stage as the Siemens. I think you would enjoy them based on our conversations and what I read from you on this thread.

Cool! I have those as the ones I want in my tubes listing too. I really want the try out the Dario Miniwatt, Telefunken E188CC and RTC 1966.

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #1,008 of 23,494
It seems like prices for Amperex 6DJ8 Orange Globes very greatly from place to place. Why is that? Are some better than others? What's the best place to pick some up?

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #1,009 of 23,494
Does anybody know of any sellers who test their tubes before ship out? 
I recently received a pair of Amperex OGs that turned out to be faulty. 
And the turnaround time on getting them replaced with the seller has been pretty disappointing.

Jan 14, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #1,010 of 23,494
When looking for tubes online, they are showing certain rating next to them. This like "tested at 70/60, 63/66". What in the world does this mean and are there any other specifications I should know about before going off and buying various tube for the Lyr?

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #1,011 of 23,494
When looking for tubes online, they are showing certain rating next to them. This like "tested at 70/60, 63/66". What in the world does this mean and are there any other specifications I should know about before going off and buying various tube for the Lyr?

In the old days, there wasn't any consistent standard for old tube testers.

E.g. The minimum good standard could be 50% or 60% of GM life left.
Or even 80% for serious audiophiles, my own personal reference standard.
Usually 50% tubes sound like crap.

So every tester has its own scale with a "minimum good" marking.
I suggest that you ask the seller to explain what are the tube tester readings for "new" and "minimum good" tubes.
That info, coupled with the current tube readings should provide the buyer with some basic gauge of the life left in the tube.

As for your question, there are 2 halves in a tube belonging to the 6DJ8 family.
Hence there are 2 sets of readings, I'm referring to the "," comma portion.
One thing to look out for is balanced halves.
If possible, try to get tubes with similar readings on both sides.

BTW, this is a really complex issue and I have therefore only provided a brief answer.
Hope this helps ! :)

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #1,012 of 23,494
Are you sure the "," separates the halves and not the "/"? I ask because I only usually see two numbers for a single tube auction and four numbers on a dual tube auction.

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #1,014 of 23,494
Jan 15, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #1,015 of 23,494
  In terms of what? Sorry, I don't understand that comment.

What i mean is, of the tubes that I've hunted, I've never seen a pair with way off gm values (at most +-5 to 10) 
I don't see why anyone would want to buy a pair of tubes with largely differing gm. One of the channels would probably die off much earlier (in the case of the Schiit). 

So the trick here is to try get numbers that are as close as possible, of course like what Lord Soth said, not too low either. :)

Jan 15, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #1,018 of 23,494
Are you sure the "," separates the halves and not the "/"? I ask because I only usually see two numbers for a single tube auction and four numbers on a dual tube auction.

This depends on the tube tester, hence my suggestion to ask the seller directly.

Some testers can test both mA and GM readings, so the "/" could refer to those.

Alternatively, if the tube tester only measures either mA or GM, then the "/" could mean
left / right of 1st tube,
left / right of 2nd tube

Ermmm, moral of the story, only the seller can answer your question!

Jan 15, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #1,019 of 23,494
Are the newest revisions of Lyr somehow modified around tubes ? (I mean to handle tubes easier, maybe a bit higher or something to grip them easier not pinching on the top)

I am gonna order newest possible edition of this amp and I wonder ...

If not then still I will be using rubber glove ;]

Jason ??

Thanks

Jan 15, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #1,020 of 23,494
  Are the newest revisions of Lyr somehow modified around tubes ? (I mean to handle tubes easier, maybe a bit higher or something to grip them easier not pinching on the top)

I am gonna order newest possible edition of this amp and I wonder ...

If not then still I will be using rubber glove ;]

Jason ??

Thanks

Related question to this... Are there different version of the Lyr at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back