Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jan 1, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #962 of 23,494
  The Lyr, Uber Bifrost and HD-650's are my current setup.  Here are the tubes I have tried:

JJ E88CC - Came with the my Lyr - Okay, but I would pass
GE 6BZ7A - Minimal improvement over the JJ's but nothing special, I would pass
Toshiba 6DJ8 - A noticeable improvement in sound,  but nothing special, I would pass
Philips JAN 6922 - A seriously good sounding tube.  These are good for what they cost, but still a long ways to holy grail tubes
CBS 6DJ8 Made in Germany - Was told these were good alternatives to Telefunkens at a fraction of the price.  Didn't really care for them.
Amperex 6DJ8/ECC88 Orange Globes - Great Britain Small O-Getter - Very nice, very lively tubes.  Was told these were relabeled Mullards.  One of the best I have heard.
Amperex 6922 JAN White Label Large O-Getter - Very similar to the Orange Globes above, but larger soundstage and clarity extension.  Missing some extension on the low end.  Great sounding tubes, but for what they cost, I think there are better
Telefunken ECC88 - These tubes are in my Lyr right now.  They are my favorite of the ones I have tried so far. I would highly recommend to anyone looking for great bass and and impressive soundstage and great dynamics.

I'm still rolling... but I loved the Telefunkens so much, I bought a spare set!

From the tubes I have tried, I would agree with most of that.  However, I would rank the GE tubes just a little higher.  For what they cost, I think they are great - clearly most other good NOS tubes are better, but considering you can get them with the Lyr (at no additional charge unless things have changed) they're pretty good ... better than the tubes which come standard on most tube equipment.  I'd consider them a good "baseline" from which to judge other tubes - and you can use them for a while whilst saving up money without being embarrassed.  The early halo getter Bugle Boys and early halo getter Orange Globes are both great - and VERY different ... I actually can't decide which ones I prefer as they both do different things well.  Considering their (lowish) cost, I'd get one of each - one may suit your system or "tastes" more than the other, but they are different enough that they are probably both worth having ...

Jan 2, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #963 of 23,494
  From the tubes I have tried, I would agree with most of that.  However, I would rank the GE tubes just a little higher.  For what they cost, I think they are great - clearly most other good NOS tubes are better, but considering you can get them with the Lyr (at no additional charge unless things have changed) they're pretty good ... better than the tubes which come standard on most tube equipment.  I'd consider them a good "baseline" from which to judge other tubes - and you can use them for a while whilst saving up money without being embarrassed.  The early halo getter Bugle Boys and early halo getter Orange Globes are both great - and VERY different ... I actually can't decide which ones I prefer as they both do different things well.  Considering their (lowish) cost, I'd get one of each - one may suit your system or "tastes" more than the other, but they are different enough that they are probably both worth having ...

+1 to all that.  I got the GEs with my Lyr (12 weeks or so ago), but I love the 1961 BB Straight Mans and the 1967 Orange Globes.  mercedesman6572 on ebay usually has a nice selection of Amperex tubes.  Great guy with whom to deal.

Jan 2, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #964 of 23,494
  Awesome, I'll check out the Telefunken ECC88, is there a good website that you get tubes from besides Ebay?

http://stores.ebay.com/tubehunter/

mercedesman is entirely reputable.  He's got at least two pairs atm.  I haven't shopped around to compare prices.  Brent Jessee is also a fine vendor, but he may be a little more expensive.  Maybe Upscale Audio has some.  I know they have a lot of pricier E88CCs.

Jan 2, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #966 of 23,494
You can take this statement FWIW, but I'm sure many would agree:

"I have to say something about the underrated Siemens steel pin tubes. These tubes were made by Siemens in the 1960’s and early 1970’s. They were made in the Siemens factory in Munich Germany. These tubes are EVERY BIT AS GOOD as the vaunted Telefunken tube."

It goes on from there.  About 40% less than the Telefunkens, though his are '61 and '62, whereas these Siemens are '70.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIEMENS6DJ8-ECC88-VACUUM-TUBE-1970-MATCH-PAIR-PRECISE-DETAILED-TONE-GERMAN-301-/321241156880?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4acb770d10

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #967 of 23,494
Oh god, I think I broke my Lyr!

Ive been using NOS GE 6BZ7 tubes with my Lyr. They've always been inserted kind of.. tilted? One was leaning a little bit to the side.
Anyway today i pulled them out and put in some new 6N1P tubes. Boy was that a mistake, because now the sound-volume is super low all the time; turning the volume-knob doesnt change anything!

I tried changing back to the 6BZ7 and the same problem is true for them aswell.

help!

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #968 of 23,494
  Oh god, I think I broke my Lyr!

Ive been using NOS GE 6BZ7 tubes with my Lyr. They've always been inserted kind of.. tilted? One was leaning a little bit to the side.
Anyway today i pulled them out and put in some new 6N1P tubes. Boy was that a mistake, because now the sound-volume is super low all the time; turning the volume-knob doesnt change anything!

I tried changing back to the 6BZ7 and the same problem is true for them aswell.

help!

Contact Schiit! They are very helpful and respond really quick. Also you have a five year guarantee!!

Jan 3, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #971 of 23,494
Alright, I sent them an email!
But I dont want to sit here all night with no sound! Isnt there anything I can try?
Your best bet is to contact Schiit, they will help you quickly. Perhaps this is known, but it seems strange one of the tubes was tilted and leaning to the side- tubes should be inserted gently and firmly and be standing straight up after a firm contact is established. Also gently loosen the tube's contact prior to removing them. Hope you have some answers (and a solution) soon.

Jan 3, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #973 of 23,494
  My retailer said they can take care of it. phew! thanks guys

Good to hear! Maybe get some tube sockets from Tubemonger for safety. Also looks nice 
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #975 of 23,494
Anyon find the tube glove by Electro Harmonix useful?
I fin that they aren't helpful in removing the tubes at all.
They simply slip off when i tried to pull upwards.
And because of the added thickness against the socket, there isnt enough room to wiggle the tubes out. In the end i have to remove them using bare hand by tilting to n fro until they come out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back