Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Dec 27, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #946 of 23,494
Hi guys, I just gotten a pair of Amperex Orange Globes and plugged them into my Lyr.
Theres no sound on right channel although both tubes are glowing. So I swap them around and now the left channel has no sound.
Is the tube faulty?

Dec 27, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #948 of 23,494

i think so.
   last time..i experience hissing sound..

Ok, is there anyway I can fix it?
I tried to wipe the contacts with Deoxit but they already look pretty ok and clean.
Put back my stock GE's again and both channels now work fine.

Took me almost a month to get them from ebay. Looks like i have to return them.

Dec 29, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #949 of 23,494
I just received some Orange Globes from eBay. They sound better in almost every regard than the stock GEs. The only problem I have with them is that they are too bright with my K712s. Does anyone know of a budget tube that would cut back on the highs?

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #950 of 23,494
I just received some Orange Globes from eBay. They sound better in almost every regard than the stock GEs. The only problem I have with them is that they are too bright with my K712s. Does anyone know of a budget tube that would cut back on the highs?

I think that's just a part of the AKG sound signature.  I hear the same with my Q701s.  Usually I have to EQ them, if I'm intent on using them for certain recordings.  That said, my 1966 RTC E188CCs and Matsu****as from Upscale do all right with them.  Maybe most Amperex tubes are a little on the bright/livelier side for AKGs.  I have 1961 Bugle Boy Straight Mans and 1967 Orange Globes, and while they're excellent tubes, I wouldn't reach for them with the Q701s.

I'm also thinking that a warmer DAC might make a difference.  I've noticed that the Wolfson(?) DAC in my iPod Classic seems to be a bit warmer than my ES9023 (Sabre U2) DAC.  I need to do some comparisons, esp. with the Q701s, to see how much difference it makes.

Anyway, for now, EQ.  I don't think tubes will make a huge difference.  Curious what others will say.

Dec 31, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #955 of 23,494

Anyway, for now, EQ.  I don't think tubes will make a huge difference.  Curious what others will say.

I use an old 1985 Technics CD player and a TT as my sources, so EQing isn't an option unless I go buy a physical equalizer. I did notice last night that they weren't as bad when playing through my TT as they were with the CD player. Looks like I'll be listening to more vinyl now, oh darn. :)

Dec 31, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #956 of 23,494

I use an old 1985 Technics CD player and a TT as my sources, so EQing isn't an option unless I go buy a physical equalizer. I did notice last night that they weren't as bad when playing through my TT as they were with the CD player. Looks like I'll be listening to more vinyl now, oh darn.
smily_headphones1.gif

My bad.  I just assumed digital playback via a PC with a software equalizer.  Yeah, curse that old format 
wink.gif
  Of course, I'm digitizing mine, albeit slowly.  Nice to meet you, Analog Kid, I'm the Digital Man (apologies for old Rush joke) 
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #957 of 23,494
Hey guys I was wondering if any of you could help me out. I'm going to be getting a Schiit Lyr and an Uber Bifrost in the very near future along with a pair of Sennheiser HD 650 and I was curious as to what set of tubes would make them shine? Price isn't an option I just want them to sound as good as they can with my setup. Thank you in advance.

Jan 1, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #958 of 23,494
  Hey guys I was wondering if any of you could help me out. I'm going to be getting a Schiit Lyr and an Uber Bifrost in the very near future along with a pair of Sennheiser HD 650 and I was curious as to what set of tubes would make them shine? Price isn't an option I just want them to sound as good as they can with my setup. Thank you in advance.

Don't have the Bifrost (have to wait, sadly), but using my Sabre U2 DAC I rolled different tubes with my new HD 650s and really like the 1961 Bugle Boy Straight Mans.  1967 Orange Globes were OK, too.  I'm curious what people using Siemens or Telefunken E88CCs think.  I'd love to hear either with the HD 650s.  I suspect good things, but ya never know.  I wasn't blown away by my 1966 RTC E188CCs, and they are very nice tubes.

I did just get four 1974 Voskhod Rockets.  Need to give them a Deoxit soak and try them tomorrow.  

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #959 of 23,494

The Lyr, Uber Bifrost and HD-650's are my current setup.  Here are the tubes I have tried:

JJ E88CC - Came with the my Lyr - Okay, but I would pass
GE 6BZ7A - Minimal improvement over the JJ's but nothing special, I would pass
Toshiba 6DJ8 - A noticeable improvement in sound,  but nothing special, I would pass
Philips JAN 6922 - A seriously good sounding tube.  These are good for what they cost, but still a long ways to holy grail tubes
CBS 6DJ8 Made in Germany - Was told these were good alternatives to Telefunkens at a fraction of the price.  Didn't really care for them.
Amperex 6DJ8/ECC88 Orange Globes - Great Britain Small O-Getter - Very nice, very lively tubes.  Was told these were relabeled Mullards.  One of the best I have heard.
Amperex 6922 JAN White Label Large O-Getter - Very similar to the Orange Globes above, but larger soundstage and clarity extension.  Missing some extension on the low end.  Great sounding tubes, but for what they cost, I think there are better
Telefunken ECC88 - These tubes are in my Lyr right now.  They are my favorite of the ones I have tried so far. I would highly recommend to anyone looking for great bass and and impressive soundstage and great dynamics.

I'm still rolling... but I loved the Telefunkens so much, I bought a spare set!

Jan 1, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #960 of 23,494
Awesome, I'll check out the Telefunken ECC88, is there a good website that you get tubes from besides Ebay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back