Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Sep 18, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #14,012 of 23,494
Here's a few pics. Let me know what you think. Thanks bro!
Nice. Glad to see you got one of those. If nothing else, you have to love it as a great piece of tube history.
Hope it sounds as good in your setup.

On the tube base, I only have N4s and a P4s. I go along with the dating that Tony provided, I've never found any Ken Rad documents with date/code information. I think GE bought Kentucky Radio right after WWII, a LOT of GE tubes came out of that Kentucky plant. Code 188 for GE, I think.

Those codes on the inside glass stem mean something, date possibly, but also could identify production line. I'll take a look at mine and see what the alpha-numbers are. Do you have a link to the auction photos for yours?
20170918_203345.jpg
20170918_203345.jpg
20170918_203420-1.jpg

Sep 18, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #14,018 of 23,494
Blurry, but my first guess would be "I 3", September 1943? Would be the first '43 print date we've seen here.
I paid $11.16 including shipping. Lol.

I3, yes, but Sept. 1243. This has been discussed a couple pages back. Don't shoot the messenger; blame the monks.

That's a steal for the Three Stooges. It's incumbent on you to rewrite the Who's On First gag.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #14,020 of 23,494
***S O L D***
Selling my backup pair of 1957 Holland Amperex Pinched Waists. I cannot verify the date because I can't see it on either tube. Sold to me as '57's at about 90% of NOS. I have
put basically zero hours on them except to test for tube noise and microphonics. They are dead quiet and look pristine. $189 plus $10 USPS Priority shipping. PM me. I'll wait for a
day before I put them on the for sale forum. USA shipping only.
***S O L D***
PW2.jpg
PW1.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #14,021 of 23,494
Yeah the price perf ratio on the 2C51 seems killer compared to the 6DJ8/6922 family not sure why that is. That being said there are some mindblowingly good tubes in the 6DJ8/6922 family so I don't regret owning them at all :D
Meanwhile I have a pair of CBS JHY 5670 Black Plates and GE JG 5670 Triple Mica Black Plates on the way and I am currently burning in my Tesla 6CC42 PWs, after which I will burn-in more my best pair of Tung-sols and LM Ericcson Steel pins and let you guys know my impressions.
I will also try to pit them against my best of 6922 but I don't think I'll have the strength to do a shootout as there are just too many tubes...

Edit: If any of you are interested here is what my saved searches on ebay for 2c51 look like:

WORLDWIDE location: (sometimes shows a few more entries)
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_od...e,tubes,rohre,rohren,valvola,coppia)&_sacat=0

and normal one: (Sometimes shows stuff that doesnt show up in the worldwide location one not sure why)

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_od...e,tubes,rohre,rohren,valvola,coppia)&_sacat=0

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #14,023 of 23,494
Bro you should try the Western Electric JW early 1950's 396A, better than any 6922 I own.
Does not exist in Europe at a feasible price, and don't want to pay 20% on top of ebay (price + shipping) + 10$ customs release tax here :wink:

Edit: Well there are some auctions I'm watching here and there but we'll see :) Still skeptical about it beating all of my gorgeous 6DJ8s though!

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #14,024 of 23,494
If anyone is looking for some GE 5 star three mica's, you might try contacting this seller on ebay: martinphaneuf . I won a nice set at auction for $20 US (link) , he doesn't have them listed, but he told me he had 20 more matched pairs, offered additional sets to me for the same price.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #14,025 of 23,494
That's an awesome price for some awesome tubes.
The russkies have finally settled down. They are still quite warm compared to the TS but not to the WE. They may be in between somewhere. I'd have to go back go the WE to say for sure. At any rate , the russkies have a seat at the table. Great detail and soundstage. Superb sub bass. No treble issues. The presence region is a lil bit lower than the GE or the TS. Has nice holographic presentation though not quite like the GE. Midbass has good weight but as big as the GE or TS. I know that makes no sense . its midrange is still evolving. Its very good. A bit more relaxed. This tube should be on your list if you're a fan of 60s and or 80s music. It takes some of the glare out of the poorly produced music of those eras. For the money its the best deal so far. Got em from nixiestore. As recommended by rnros. Solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

• GSI
Back