Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Sep 5, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #13,713 of 23,494
I'd bet one of the guys has a spare pair. For a prophet, not a profit. At least to try out.
Oh, the Glass Menagerie has them in stock. My menagerie, that is :)

My recollection from rolling them months ago is that they have a really full sound, so yeah, rockers. My '49 WEs have more of the distance thing going on, at least with a couple cans on my rig. YMMV.

Sep 5, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #13,714 of 23,494
The 5 stars are too much with the zmf. I guess I should've tried the he560 before pulling them. Its more distant and softer . I got the WE back in.
Tk I haven't put the top on my DAC in 2 weeks. I can ,cuz it has openings for the tubes. But its 10 screws. Just too lazy for that. I haven't put the screws in the rogue in a month. I do put the top on. Just unfastened. A pattern I suppose. Got the same tubes in it that I mentioned. Ge 5 star d getters. Super sweet. The Brimars were too forward for most music for my taste. That's in 5814a and 4003.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #13,715 of 23,494
The 5 stars are too much with the zmf. I guess I should've tried the he560 before pulling them. Its more distant and softer . I got the WE back in.
Tk I haven't put the top on my DAC in 2 weeks. I can ,cuz it has openings for the tubes. But its 10 screws. Just too lazy for that. I haven't put the screws in the rogue in a month. I do put the top on. Just unfastened. A pattern I suppose. Got the same tubes in it that I mentioned. Ge 5 star d getters. Super sweet. The Brimars were too forward for most music for my taste. That's in 5814a and 4003.
I put 6 screws every time in my dac every time, it has 10 screws total. Hopefully the mini adapters will be short enough so I can close the top.

Yikes, see a pair of WE 396A for $175 1951. Same seller I got my JW's for $145. They will be $200 soon me thinks.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #13,716 of 23,494
I have these 5670 style tubes in my collection:

2 pairs: WE JW 2C51
2 pairs: WE396A
2 pairs: Tung Sol 2C51
2 pairs: Tesla 6CC42 PW
1 pair: Reflektor 6NP3-E
1 pair: GE 5 Star Triple Mica

All NOS.

I have these 6922 style tubes in my collection:

I think I am set for life considering how much more I listen to my 2 channel system now.

Sep 5, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #13,718 of 23,494
@winders In a blind test could you tell the difference between the JW and the regular WE? Or is it too close to call?

It's so close I would say that I could not tell reliably in a blind test. I just compared the Tung Sol that I have to the JW tubes I just received from Guidostrunk. The JW tubes are better (cleaner with more detail) in my system (MJ2 with HD650 headphones with XLR cable). I don't use the MJ2 as a preamp anymore so I can really comment on that. I am thinking about getting a Vali 2 again to pair with my Mimby for my nearfield setup.

Sep 5, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #13,719 of 23,494
Pulled my 1st set of WE JW`s after a 100 hour burn in, threw in a pair of $17 Tung Sol 2C51 square getter`s for some burn in. They sure need it, raw, look brand new. We`ll see if this $17 set can top the $145 (ouch) WE JW`s. These suckers do not glow like the WE`s.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #13,720 of 23,494
Pulled my 1st set of WE JW`s after a 100 hour burn in, threw in a pair of $17 Tung Sol 2C51 square getter`s for some burn in. They sure need it, raw, look brand new. We`ll see if this $17 set can top the $145 (ouch) WE JW`s.

Different gear, different ears, different audio wheelhouses. I really liked the Western Electrics. I am mesmerized by the Tung Sols. Look forward to your take TK. My TS's have (I'm guessing) about 60 hours on them and I still don't think they're ripe.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #13,722 of 23,494
They're pretty raw in the beginning bro. I'm over the 100 hour mark on mine, and they have me in a trance. LOL. I just can't get over how holographic they are. Deep pounding bass, and a midrange that a Heerlen dreams of.

In awe every time I jam.
:beerchug:

Pulled my 1st set of WE JW`s after a 100 hour burn in, threw in a pair of $17 Tung Sol 2C51 square getter`s for some burn in. They sure need it, raw, look brand new. We`ll see if this $17 set can top the $145 (ouch) WE JW`s. These suckers do not glow like the WE`s.

Sep 5, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #13,723 of 23,494
I have those on the way as well. And more adapters, both types. Dr poon told me I would have to add heat sinks to the bridge if I want to try the 6sn7 but the transformer could handle the load. That's in the dac.
If you think the bass is good in the he560 you should hear it in the zmf. The hifiman sounds dull in comparison. But it is very easy on the ears. But the Omni / ori really likes power.
Loving the detail and space of the 2c51s. Looking forward to the reflektors. Hope the highs aren't quite as etched as the 6n23ps.

Slow in getting back to you on this... But in that time the Tung Sols have arrived, so we have a more timely comparison point.
So acknowledging that YMMV, the test and burn setup I'm using [GungnirMB>Lyr1>Aeon] has these Tung Sols already sounding great, about 4 hours.
With big thanks to Bill! Don't know what fairy dust you used on these, but they are already a contender in the line up here. (Sorry, TK.)

With the same YMMV, I do place these above the 396A. Whether it's delusion or good memory, in this rig, these Tung Sol do everything the 396A do, plus they have better tonal balance.
Details can/will follow after more burn time.

Your question, about the RFL 6N3P-E being etched: I don't think you will have that problem. If you like the sound of the Tung Sol in your setup, you should be fine with the 6N3P-E. They are much more similar than different.

First A/B with a pair of 6N3P-E shows the same excellent characteristics with minor differences (at the moment) in tonal balance, specifically upper bass to lower mids, and upper mids to lower treble. The TS have 4 hours burn, the RFL, 20 hours.
Neither one of these is etched, at the moment the TS shows just a little bit of glare at the high end, but that already has reduced somewhat, and I fully except that to resolve.
The TS has a slight leaning to the upper mids/low treble, while the RFL has more in the upper bass/low mids. No etch, no flaws, great tubes. Burn to continue.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #13,724 of 23,494
Glad to hear it. No matter as they are on the way. 4 of them for about $20. That should close the book on this chapter til a pair of bendix makes themselves reasonably available. Of course there is the nagging matter of the rca tube that came in the guise of a TS. That's still my favorite pair. 6sn7 gtb sylvania came in today. I guess I have a couple weeks until the adapters get here. Hope I don't like em. That series is right back in the money

Sep 5, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #13,725 of 23,494
I noticed that with the first pair of TS I rolled yesterday, having replaced the WEs. I thought, schiit! these are dead. Hardly, but still, *phew* The WEs do have a beautiful glow :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back