Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Aug 4, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #13,157 of 23,494
So I've got some new stuff this week.
First one is these bad boys http://www.ebay.com/itm/262287616448 a quad of them. I was not sure which years these were from the pics they looked like early to late 60s. I decided to gamble.
What I got is 4 tubes 2-2 of the same type, two are missing any codes/prints , the other two seems to be as follows:
1) 1966 R6XX code gray shield (+1 that looks exactly like it with missing code)
2) 1957 R7K code gray shield milky ring on top (+1 that looks exactly like it with milky ring and missing code).

So I've measured them, they don't test "NEW AND UNUSED" but test okish 10-13 mA and may wake up more after usage, especially the ones from the late 50s early 60s. I don't have any impressions yet as I have not done any listening just burning them in while watching movies and playing games.

2nd new piece of gear - SCHIIT YGGDRASIL :D I finally got this, it's in my hands right now, it's much bigger than I expected it absolutely dwarfs the Lyr/Bifrost, I don't even know if I have the space for it... but I will find a place :D Have not turned it on yet even but will do so tonight after work. I will be going through my entire collection of tubes with my newfound combo of Yggy + Lyr2 to see if I still keep the same preferences and will update you guys.

Cheers

Aug 4, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #13,159 of 23,494
So I've got some new stuff this week.
First one is these bad boys http://www.ebay.com/itm/262287616448 a quad of them. I was not sure which years these were from the pics they looked like early to late 60s. I decided to gamble.
What I got is 4 tubes 2-2 of the same type, two are missing any codes/prints , the other two seems to be as follows:
1) 1966 R6XX code gray shield (+1 that looks exactly like it with missing code)
2) 1957 R7K code gray shield milky ring on top (+1 that looks exactly like it with milky ring and missing code).

So I've measured them, they don't test "NEW AND UNUSED" but test okish 10-13 mA and may wake up more after usage, especially the ones from the late 50s early 60s. I don't have any impressions yet as I have not done any listening just burning them in while watching movies and playing games.

2nd new piece of gear - SCHIIT YGGDRASIL :D I finally got this, it's in my hands right now, it's much bigger than I expected it absolutely dwarfs the Lyr/Bifrost, I don't even know if I have the space for it... but I will find a place :D Have not turned it on yet even but will do so tonight after work. I will be going through my entire collection of tubes with my newfound combo of Yggy + Lyr2 to see if I still keep the same preferences and will update you guys.

Cheers

Got 2 pair of those 66 Mullards, got them in my dac now (Miniwatts and Valvo paint) , adds meat on the bone with my Siemens CCa in my amp. Curious how the other pair sounds vs your `66 pair.

Aug 4, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #13,160 of 23,494
One hour in on my NOS 1954 JW we396a in my Scott Nixon dac. Will report back after some burn in.

Initial impression= why didn't I go this route 2 years ago. Lol
20170804_203219.jpg

Aug 4, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #13,162 of 23,494
One hour in on my NOS 1954 JW we396a in my Scott Nixon dac. Will report back after some burn in.

Initial impression= why didn't I go this route 2 years ago. Lol

That would have made you a trailblazer, Sammy :wink: If the tube is solid, I'd be shocked (SHOCKED! I say) if you don't like it. But, as we know, it's gotta stand up to the vaunted Brimar (or whatever that thing I sent you really is :wink: )

Aug 4, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #13,163 of 23,494
I would run that JW 2C51 tube all day over any 6922 tube I tried.....

Aug 4, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #13,164 of 23,494
The 68 brimar is the real deal bro! I've been going back and forth with the yellow , and there's just something about the brimar with it's center imaging, and depth. It's definitely more holographic.

Can't thank you enough for that tube man.

I got the WE burnin bro. I'm not going to listen until tomorrow afternoon when I get closer to 20 hours on the tube.......................
(Yeah right) LOL
That would have made you a trailblazer, Sammy :wink: If the tube is solid, I'd be shocked (SHOCKED! I say) if you don't like it. But, as we know, it's gotta stand up to the vaunted Brimar (or whatever that thing I sent you really is :wink: )

Aug 4, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #13,165 of 23,494
So far this tube is pretty insane. Reminds me of a Siemens CCa, but there's Blackburn in there.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. Lol.
It needs to burn in though before I get into the details of it. So far I'm extremely happy with what I'm hearing.
I would run that JW 2C51 tube all day over any 6922 tube I tried.....

Aug 6, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #13,166 of 23,494
Aug 6, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #13,169 of 23,494
Folks. Please do yourselves a favor and get adapters for 5670 tubes!
And if Sam's word ain't good enough, Mike M. from Schiit raves about them.... BAH!!! Sammy's word is TRUTH, yo! :D

Seriously, that type really is worth the $16 adapters and relatively inexpensive pairs. Hell, even the 1950s Russian vintage are good, if you can find 'em.

Aug 6, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #13,170 of 23,494
Forget the rabbit hole. I just kidnapped the Easter Bunny! Lol
And if Sam's word ain't good enough, Mike M. from Schiit raves about them.... BAH!!! Sammy's word is TRUTH, yo! :D

Seriously, that type really is worth the $16 adapters and relatively inexpensive pairs. Hell, even the 1950s Russian vintage are good, if you can find 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back