Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 29, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #9,211 of 23,494
My RTC Tubes finally arrived and I'm going to start the burning them in later. I'm a bit confused with their codes though.

One tube is labelled VR3 delta0L1 which I believe is a 1960 Heerlen E188CC.

The other tube has more faded markings and it looks like a VR2 (not a VR3 as labelled by the seller) deltaN0. This is also a Heerlen E188CC but I've never seen a date code like that before. Any ideas?

Apr 29, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #9,212 of 23,494
  My RTC Tubes finally arrived and I'm going to start the burning them in later. I'm a bit confused with their codes though.

One tube is labelled VR3 delta0L1 which I believe is a 1960 Heerlen E188CC.

The other tube has more faded markings and it looks like a VR2 (not a VR3 as labelled by the seller) deltaN0. This is also a Heerlen E188CC but I've never seen a date code like that before. Any ideas?

Can you take a good, hi-res close up photo?

Apr 29, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #9,214 of 23,494
  Here's the best that I can do right now without my SLR. I've contrast-enhanced them to make it clearer but the markings aren't quite so clear.

Interesting.  Perhaps it's just a mistake.  Assuming the VR is accurate, at least you've got the right tube type.  I'd say file this one under *shoulder shrug* and enjoy your vintage tubes 
beerchug.gif

Apr 29, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #9,215 of 23,494

Interesting.  Perhaps it's just a mistake.  Assuming the VR is accurate, at least you've got the right tube type.  I'd say file this one under *shoulder shrug* and enjoy your vintage tubes 
beerchug.gif

Interesting indeed. Well, the pair for this tube was clearly marked as VR3 and had practically the same construction so there's a good chance that this is indeed the correct tube type.

So far these tubes are quite enjoyable even without burn-in. I'd say I like them more than my Mullards for now. In terms of warmth, they're not that far off for my ears but the spaciousness of these things are notably superior. I also think that these possess a certain smoothness across the entire range. String instruments come off as incredibly sweet for these tubes. This how Heerlens really sound like? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #9,216 of 23,494
  Interesting indeed. Well, the pair for this tube was clearly marked as VR3 and had practically the same construction so there's a good chance that this is indeed the correct tube type.

So far these tubes are quite enjoyable even without burn-in. I'd say I like them more than my Mullards for now. In terms of warmth, they're not that far off for my ears but the spaciousness of these things are notably superior. I also think that these possess a certain smoothness across the entire range. String instruments come off as incredibly sweet for these tubes. This how Heerlens really sound like? 
smily_headphones1.gif

My memory, FWIW, tells me the same thing about my Mullards vs. the 1966 Heerlen E188CCs I've been listening to for a few weeks.  I think your description fits the general impressions of how Heerlens really sound, though that factory made different types, so opinions will vary accordingly.

Apr 30, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #9,218 of 23,494
One of the Heerlen E188CCs had some static sound when tapped (quite different from a microphonic sound). I thought it would go away after some burn-in so I let it be. Now after swapping to Mullards and then back, that same tube won't work. The heater doesn't seem to be working (no glow) but the vacuum seems to be intact. Other tubes plugged into the same socket work so it isn't my Lyr. Anything else I should try or do I start contacting the seller?

Apr 30, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #9,219 of 23,494
  One of the Heerlen E188CCs had some static sound when tapped (quite different from a microphonic sound). I thought it would go away after some burn-in so I let it be. Now after swapping to Mullards and then back, that same tube won't work. The heater doesn't seem to be working (no glow) but the vacuum seems to be intact. Other tubes plugged into the same socket work so it isn't my Lyr. Anything else I should try or do I start contacting the seller?

If you tried the bad tube in both sockets and the result is the same, I'd say contact the seller.

Apr 30, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #9,220 of 23,494
Yeah, I've tried it on both sockets. There goes my Heerlen. 
frown.gif

I guess on the flip side of things, it stayed alive long enough for me to figure out that I still prefer the Blackburn Mullard signature. So what I'm wondering about at this point are the variations in Mullards. Are the ECC88 Blackburns the most interesting ones or are there other variants?

Apr 30, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #9,221 of 23,494
Love Mullards, got 2 pair of Mitcham  early 1966 mullards E88CC, 1 pair of Blackburn ECC88 1967 (warmest sounding pair I got). Burning in a pair of RTC Mitcham E188CC 1972 right now got another set on the way I won at auction for $90. I was the only bidder on that.

Apr 30, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #9,222 of 23,494
The warmth is probably the reason why I really like the Blackburns on my setup. They seem far richer and more engaging on my otherwise more analytical DAC/headphones. Have you, by any chance, had the chance to compare the A-frame Blackburns with the O-getter ones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back