Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Nov 17, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #8,026 of 23,494
The mate to my 7L3 Amperex Holland Pinched Waist showed up from my Canadian friend yesterday.  Let it burn in for about 3 hours and then listened to 2 songs before that channel went dead.  Looked down and the new PW was dark, dead...or as they say in Serbia "kaputski".  I couldn't believe it.  MY HEART !!!!!!!!!  Had only had one tube die on me before whilst I was actually listening.  No sizzle, no fireworks....just died peacefully.  But when I went to remove it, the top just separated from the bottom.  How I got it out in one piece was a minor miracle.  Amp is ok.  We'll figure out something on the tube...seller is a great guy who's become a friend.  Take a look...

Nov 17, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #8,027 of 23,494
Ouch, that sucks.  
frown.gif

Nov 17, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #8,030 of 23,494
Sorry, Bill.  I don't want to look at or think about it.  Hope a solid replacement materializes soon.

Nov 17, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #8,033 of 23,494
  You did not mean solid-state when you wrote solid, did you?  Such dirty language...

LOL.  No.  Bite your tongue.  Solid, as in reliable, dependable.  It seems his Canadian cohort has done him a solid.

Thank you!  Thank you very much!  You've been a fabulous audience.  I'll be here all week.  Don't forget to see Rangy at the merch table on your way out.

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #8,034 of 23,494

LOL.  No.  Bite your tongue.  Solid, as in reliable, dependable.  It seems his Canadian cohort has done him a solid.

Thank you!  Thank you very much!  You've been a fabulous audience.  I'll be here all week.  Don't forget to see Rangy at the merch table on your way out.

Hvala...or something like that.

Nov 18, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #8,035 of 23,494
So I jumped on these a while ago http://www.ebay.com/itm/301780888830 - I was feeling adventurous :D But from the pics I could see they were early 60s Valvos - ofc no codes or measurements provided. Anyway I received them now and they are as follows:

The Red print - 7L1 R6A3 - Mullard Mitcham factory 1966
The White print - 7LG (Left triangle Heerlen delta) 1K5 - Heerlen factory 1961.

I have no measurements yet except the info that they are new in boxes unused etc, so I'm going to try them together to see if they fit, not sure if they will be well matched or will work well but who knows. How big of a different would Mullard made Philips tubes have from the Heerlen ones - not sure. Will find out tonight!

Edit: The '66 mullards seem to have a smaller halo getter with a shorter post.

Edit2: Or maybe these are '76 mullard micham hmm

Edit3: Well it's a halo getter it should be '66 - what is my life

Nov 18, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #8,036 of 23,494
  So I jumped on these a while ago http://www.ebay.com/itm/301780888830 - I was feeling adventurous :D But from the pics I could see they were early 60s Valvos - ofc no codes or measurements provided. Anyway I received them now and they are as follows:

The Red print - 7L1 R6A3 - Mullard Mitcham factory 1966
The White print - 7LG (Left triangle Heerlen delta) 1K5 - Heerlen factory 1961.

I have no measurements yet except the info that they are new in boxes unused etc, so I'm going to try them together to see if they fit, not sure if they will be well matched or will work well but who knows. How big of a different would Mullard made Philips tubes have from the Heerlen ones - not sure. Will find out tonight!

Edit: The '66 mullards seem to have a smaller halo getter with a shorter post.

Edit2: Or maybe these are '76 mullard micham hmm

Edit3: Well it's a halo getter it should be '66 - what is my life

It'll be interesting to read about your impressions.

FWIW, 7LG is almost certainly 1971.  7L1 for the Mullard should be 1966, as you say.

Hope they pair well.  Keep us posted.

Nov 18, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #8,037 of 23,494

It'll be interesting to read about your impressions.

FWIW, 7LG is almost certainly 1971.  7L1 for the Mullard should be 1966, as you say.

Hope they pair well.  Keep us posted.

Thanks for the info. Well I didn't expect much when I got them. We'll see :)

EDIT: You know what I don't understand I see a ton of auctions on ebay that do not list the codes. For example this auction http://www.ebay.com/itm/221921082026. It says the codes are engraved yet they are not there. Maybe you could ask an additional question and get that answer. But why would you not post it in the first place is beyond me.

Nov 18, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #8,038 of 23,494
They do that a lot. From looking at the construction of the tubes, and not seeing the spikes , on the micas. I'm going to assume they're heerlen.
Thanks for the info. Well I didn't expect much when I got them. We'll see :)

EDIT: You know what I don't understand I see a ton of auctions on ebay that do not list the codes. For example this auction http://www.ebay.com/itm/221921082026. It says the codes are engraved yet they are not there. Maybe you could ask an additional question and get that answer. But why would you not post it in the first place is beyond me.

Nov 18, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #8,039 of 23,494
They do that a lot. From looking at the construction of the tubes, and not seeing the spikes , on the micas. I'm going to assume they're heerlen.

Even so they could be 70s or 60s Heerlen which in theory changes the quality/value of the tube and therefore the acceptable price... or so I think :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back