Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Aug 12, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #271 of 23,494
Quote:
Read what I am saying, did I ever say there isn't a difference in the sound of  the tubes?

The point is that it's not going to be too likely that the tubes that sound fantastic on headphone "A" are not going to sound good on headphone "B" both using a Lyr.  But if those same tubes are used in different amps, then there is gong to be a greater interaction/variables on how the different headphones are being driven by the different amps, not the tubes in preamp section of those amps.

But there are literally hundreds of instances described in this thread where tubes that sound great in the Lyr with one pair of headphones don't sound so great with another pair of headphones. 

Aug 12, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #272 of 23,494
Quote:

But there are literally hundreds of instances described in this thread where tubes that sound great in the Lyr with one pair of headphones don't sound so great with another pair of headphones. 

I find that kinda hard to believe unless the 2nd headphone is just a bad  match for the amp part of the Lyr and it wouldn't matter WHAT tube you put in it, it's just a bad match. 

I've only listened to a handful of headphones on my Lyr/Orange Globe system, so ,maybe i just need to hear it myself.  Can anyone recommend a headphone that isn't going to sound good with this combo? Then tell my why the low level preamp tube is the culprit?

Aug 12, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #273 of 23,494
Oh also, the Lyr is a solid state MOSFET amplifier that runs in Class A output unless pushed hard then it puts out Class A/B output.  I understand the way the amp works. It's NOT a tube amp... It may be a hybrid, but  the amp section is all solid state folks.

Aug 12, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #274 of 23,494
I just got some socket savers from tubemongers.com.  They should be here this week.  I was wondering what is the best way to insert them?  And then I was wondering if it is easier to remove the tubes without removing the savers than without the savers in the equation?

Aug 12, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #275 of 23,494
Quote:
Read what I am saying, did I ever say there isn't a difference in the sound of  the tubes?

The point is that it's not going to be too likely that the tubes that sound fantastic on headphone "A" are not going to sound good on headphone "B" both using a Lyr.  But if those same tubes are used in different amps, then there is gong to be a greater interaction/variables on how the different headphones are being driven by the different amps, not the tubes in preamp section of those amps.

Why do you think the amp is more impactful than the pre-amp? 

Edit:  It is indeed a hybrid.

Sure HP "A" vs HP "B" on a Lyr with one set of valves and  HP "A" vs HP "B" a Lyr with a different set of valves.   The difference might follow the valves and it might not.  As we all know it's subjective.   Wouldn't the same apply to amp 2,3,and 4 rolling different sets valves?   The matrix of all results between amp, pre-amp valves, and HP's "Could Be" totally different and not follow a pattern.

Amps 2, 3, and 4 will sound different anyway as both their amp and pre-amps will be entirely different from one another.  The commonality is that all the amps, in this example, have valve pre-amps.  My opinion is based upon the function of the pre-amp.  I believe it has the biggest impact.  It's more involved with the source.   I'd go even further and say that a solid state pre-amp has a bigger impact than the SS amp based upon it's function in the device.

Aug 12, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #276 of 23,494
Quote:
Oh also, the Lyr is a solid state MOSFET amplifier that runs in Class A output unless pushed hard then it puts out Class A/B output.  I understand the way the amp works. It's NOT a tube amp... It may be a hybrid, but  the amp section is all solid state folks.

Back a few posts I wrote about the junction between the pre-amp valve and the SS amp.  The SS amp is tied to and controlled by the valve's grid.   By definition, Hybrid. 

EDIT:  If the amp is a full "tube" amp a driver valve would replace the SS portion of the Lyr.

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #277 of 23,494
Let me distill my opinion down.
Valve, transistor, IC, whatever type, a pre-amp takes a low power source signal and "maps" it into the power amp, regardless of class.
I think that's a very important function.

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #278 of 23,494
Quote:
I find that kinda hard to believe unless the 2nd headphone is just a bad  match for the amp part of the Lyr and it wouldn't matter WHAT tube you put in it, it's just a bad match. 

I've only listened to a handful of headphones on my Lyr/Orange Globe system, so ,maybe i just need to hear it myself.  Can anyone recommend a headphone that isn't going to sound good with this combo? Then tell my why the low level preamp tube is the culprit?

BTW, when I said hundreds of instances, I forgot that we are in the new thread.  There are probably not hundreds of instances in this thread, but the old thread was 500+ pages long, there were definitely hundreds of instances in that thread.

I have only heard my Lyr through two pairs of headphones and one pair of IEMs, I have not heard a mismatch either.  But I have read about it enough times to believe a mismatch is possible.

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #279 of 23,494
My original comment was directed at a few posts back that were "oh yeah those tubes should work fine with those two pair of headphones"

So as I said, someone recommend a pair of cans to listen to on my setup that aren't going to be a good match "for the Orange Globes"

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #280 of 23,494
Quote:
My original comment was directed at a few posts back that were "oh yeah those tubes should work fine with those two pair of headphones"

So as I said, someone recommend a pair of cans to listen to on my setup that aren't going to be a good match "for the Orange Globes"

+1
Real subjective.  Hard to tell.  I agree 100%

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #281 of 23,494
Quote:
I just got some socket savers from tubemongers.com.  They should be here this week.  I was wondering what is the best way to insert them?  And then I was wondering if it is easier to remove the tubes without removing the savers than without the savers in the equation?

Insert them as you would any tube.  I would treat the pins with Deoxit myself, especially since the idea behind socket savers is that they remain installed while you swap tubes.  The idea being that the socket savers, which are relatively easy to replace, will take the wear and tear of tube rolling, thereby sparing the sockets installed in the amp.  These would be much more difficult to replace, the procedure would involve dismantling the amp and soldering new sockets in place.

These will most definitely make removing tubes easier.  You may have to use a piece of non conducting material to hold the socket savers down while removing tubes, especially at first.  Eventually the sockets will loosen a bit and this will be less of a problem.

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #282 of 23,494
Quote:

Ya know what ?   After some reflection I have to give it up to jm.
I'm the perfect guy to answer this question.
I had a Lyr hybid with let's say Amperex USN-CEP's.
So then I built a 300B amp that used.... 300B's as the drivers and the very same USN-CEP's in the pre-amp.

Plate O' Crow deluxe with all the trimmings.

There was a Huge difference in the voice of the amps using the exact same pre-amp valves.
Why didn't I understand your post and think about it?
So amp to amp, you bet.
In the Lyr....  the only thing to change are the pre-amp valves.  So... I guess they have the bigger impact there..... since ya can't change the back end.

EDIT:
Still from a function standpoint, I am asking myself why?

Aug 12, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #283 of 23,494
True, but they are a match made in heaven. I'm probably more interested in comparing the Voshkods to each other now than the other brands at this point (I have yet to try Telefunkens or Mullards). All of my headphones seem to thrive on them,,,HD800, Mad Dogs, AD2000x, UE6000, even the overly-clinical bass-less DT660...For monitoring rock tracks, DT660 with Voshkod-powered Lyr is an incredible pairing. I'm new to this, but the 79 Silver Shields are easily my go-to tube at this point. They do everything well.

I'm probably going to list my Siemens and Amperex tubes soon. I think I've given them ample time to find they just don't work well with my set-up. The Amperexes have a goofy mid-range...really veiled and incoherent. I'm really struggling to make out what vocalists are singing. I was hoping burn-in would fix it, but I'm past the 50 hour mark and no real improvement. I'll probably give the Siemens one final try, but they are similar to the Voshkods but with way less soundstage (and soundstage is the main reason I got the Lyr) and the treble on the HD800 is noticeably annoying with them. I don't regret trying them at all, but neither are giving me $200 worth of performance either.

+1 :)

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #284 of 23,494
Quote:

My HE-500 does not sound good with Orange. The highs are muffled and the sound is not detailed. I much prefer the JJ (these are new tubes $ 22 per pair) ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back