Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
May 29, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #21,661 of 23,493
The Mole Police are autonomous with secret identities (and secret decoder rings). And like 007 they also have a license to kill, which is totally justified when moles are flushed out.

Dang moles, here is how to catch ‘em:

May 29, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #21,662 of 23,493
Some Lyr/Mh2 related equipment updates.

I swear, the more I put into my front end, the better the Lyr, and it’s tubes sound. I will be replacing my PS Audio AV outlets with some used Shunyata SR-Z1 outlets @ 1/2 price. On USAudioMart. The guy has more of these for sale if interested.

SPDIF upgraded to a used Audience for 1/2 price from TheCableCompany. The cable is 1/2 the diameter of the TWL & Nordost it replaced, but sounds 2x as good: better everything, but especially nuanced sonics emanating from each musician in the soundstage.

My stereo Preamp caught on fire (how did that happen? ..... I’m not sayin’ :bomb:). So now the Lyr/MJ is doing double duty as HP amp and PreAmp.

So I’m using Siemens E81CCs (=ECC801s)with an adaptor and Tubemonger low noise socket saver) in the Lyr/Mj, they sound great along with the Amperex 7308s- gold pin, USA. The Siemens sound a bit more controlled and specific, the 7308s a bit livelier and uncontrolled-not in a bad way-but more of a wandering freedom ..... free love kind of way. :call_me::metal::thumbsup::tongue:

Anyway,I got a high testing quad of tightly matched Amperex 6922s coming my way, D-getters, white label, gold pins, 7L4-same factory 1960 ....

May 29, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #21,663 of 23,493
Some Lyr/Mh2 related equipment updates.

I swear, the more I put into my front end, the better the Lyr, and it’s tubes sound. I will be replacing my PS Audio AV outlets with some used Shunyata SR-Z1 outlets @ 1/2 price. On USAudioMart. The guy has more of these for sale if interested.

SPDIF upgraded to a used Audience for 1/2 price from TheCableCompany. The cable is 1/2 the diameter of the TWL & Nordost it replaced, but sounds 2x as good: better everything, but especially nuanced sonics emanating from each musician in the soundstage.

My stereo Preamp caught on fire (how did that happen? ..... I’m not sayin’ :bomb:). So now the Lyr/MJ is doing double duty as HP amp and PreAmp.

So I’m using Siemens E81CCs (=ECC801s)with an adaptor and Tubemonger low noise socket saver) in the Lyr/Mj, they sound great along with the Amperex 7308s- gold pin, USA. The Siemens sound a bit more controlled and specific, the 7308s a bit livelier and uncontrolled-not in a bad way-but more of a wandering freedom ..... free love kind of way. :call_me::metal::thumbsup::tongue:

Anyway,I got a high testing quad of tightly matched Amperex 6922s coming my way, D-getters, white label, gold pins, 7L4-same factory 1960 ....
USA Amperex? I really love the Heerlen D getter 6922, D getter USA not some much.

I have also found the next 12AU7 holy grail. High quality workmanship there.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12AU7A-12A...IFIER-VACUUM-VALVE-AMP-HAM-SHORT/143273482003

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #21,664 of 23,493
I have also found the next 12AU7 holy grail. High quality workmanship there.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12AU7A-12A...IFIER-VACUUM-VALVE-AMP-HAM-SHORT/143273482003

What makes you ridicule the workmanship? This little stray filament wire hangin' around in there? Shouldn't cause a problem unless you put power to the tube. Geeez.

upload_2019-5-29_18-56-55.png

Or is it the incredibly thick gold plating on the pins? Did you ever consider it's not plating at all, but perhaps just Toyota touch-up paint from the little bottle at AutoZone?

upload_2019-5-29_18-58-15.png

Picky, picky, picky.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

May 29, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #21,665 of 23,493
I will be replacing my PS Audio AV outlets with some used Shunyata SR-Z1 outlets @ 1/2 price. On USAudioMart. The guy has more of these for sale if interested.

Sooooooo….the Audience is noticeably better than what you were using? I make my own RCA cables, but haven't ever messed with an S/PDIF. Don't have the proper crimper, and good ones are way too expensive just to make a couple cables with. I'm using an inexpensive Canare cable right now that's nicely constructed with a true 75 ohm impedance. But there's always the nagging audiophile angst I'm missing something. Have a Furutech GTX-D(G) outlet in the wall so I'm callin' it good there.

Sorry about your preamp, but I promise not to do any 'rubbing' in. :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

May 29, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #21,666 of 23,493
What makes you ridicule the workmanship? This little stray filament wire hangin' around in there? Shouldn't cause a problem unless you put power to the tube. Geeez.

Or is it the incredibly thick gold plating on the pins? Did you ever consider it's not plating at all, but perhaps just Toyota touch-up paint from the little bottle at AutoZone?

Picky, picky, picky.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
I thought that might of been a hair, like you may get with your Chinese food sometimes lol.

May 29, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #21,667 of 23,493
I thought that might of been a hair, like you may get with your Chinese food sometimes lol.

If that's a hair, tin snips would probably be required for a haircut. :slight_smile:

May 29, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #21,669 of 23,493
Sooooooo….the Audience is noticeably better than what you were using? I make my own RCA cables, but haven't ever messed with an S/PDIF. Don't have the proper crimper, and good ones are way too expensive just to make a couple cables with. I'm using an inexpensive Canare cable right now that's nicely constructed with a true 75 ohm impedance. But there's always the nagging audiophile angst I'm missing something. Have a Furutech GTX-D(G) outlet in the wall so I'm callin' it good there.

Sorry about your preamp, but I promise not to do any 'rubbing' in. :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

Bc, best not to try making SPDIFs then, especially if you are drinking isopropyl alcohol. :dizzy_face: I would learn how to make cables, except that I’m at the end of my audio Philly a career, not the beginning. Although those Furutech outlets are high end, you probably are missing something. :smile_cat: It’s neverending!

Just picked up another pair of these cracking tubes. 6CC41 drop in replacement. Tesla's that don't suck.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-TESLA-6...late-lk-Mazda-Cifte-D-Getter-100/333194818026

Silver plates .... oh baby, oh baby. But not double D-getters?

I picked up ACs 6CC41 and 6CC42 hand-me-downs before he went underground. I like the 6CC41s, lively sound.

May 29, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #21,670 of 23,493
Bc, best not to try making SPDIFs then, especially if you are drinking isopropyl alcohol. :dizzy_face: I would learn how to make cables, except that I’m at the end of my audio Philly a career, not the beginning. Although those Furutech outlets are high end, you probably are missing something. :smile_cat: It’s neverending!

Silver plates .... oh baby, oh baby. But not double D-getters?

I picked up ACs 6CC41 and 6CC42 hand-me-downs before he went underground. I like the 6CC41s, lively sound.
56's have the double D getter.

May 29, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #21,671 of 23,493
May 29, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #21,672 of 23,493
Mmmmmmmm, looks delicious, must clean out your insides pretty well too!

May 30, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #21,674 of 23,493
Still alive gents, just an intense workload at the moment. Can't complain, it's what pays for all the studio and headfi toys...That said, I bought 2 new synths 3 weeks ago, and haven't spent more than an hour on them....my headfi rig has been keeping me sane daily though.

Work should mellow out a touch in a few weeks, so I'll be back to catch up. Hope all is well with everyone.

May 30, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #21,675 of 23,493
Mmmmmmmm, looks delicious, must clean out your insides pretty well too!

The isopropyl alcohol spews out from the top. This spews out from the bottom. Not sure that drinking it will bring about the claimed improvements though. :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back