Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 15, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #20,132 of 23,493
Well, the rolling begins ....
Tried some Siemens 7308s/CCa's, wow, .... I heard details I aint never heard before.
At first, they even sounded a bit unhinged/erratic for the few 2-3 hours, then seemed to settle in a bit. Took me some getting used to such detailed sound.
I guess the tubes had about 500 hours on them already, so broken in. But my ears were not broken in for this tube ....

And by unhinged, i mean whole band crescendos and solos, like guitar and sax. I swear, one guitar solo flew rightoff the left side of the stage!! Along with the guitarist!!

But man, those things reveal detail like no other. Even the R/L is so tight and accurate, its a bit unnerving with the Th900s.
Then I put the Siemens CCa's in my home stereo tube preAmp- seemed to sound more cohesive with speakers. The low end in
particular, quit a bit of decay on the bass, almost sounded like a "gong" (remember the Gong Show? lol)

Also got two Amperex 7308s i just received: on the HPs, the soundstage and R/L integrate like no other.
I mean, the 900s are already known for their soundstage, but the 7308s took it to a new level. Very musical and listenable, thougha the overall sound was a bit "light" compared to the Siemens.
But I'm just breaking them in, so we will see ....
Others experiences with these tubes?

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #20,133 of 23,493
Well, the rolling begins ....
Tried some Siemens 7308s/CCa's, wow, .... I heard details I aint never heard before.
At first, they even sounded a bit unhinged/erratic for the few 2-3 hours, then seemed to settle in a bit. Took me some getting used to such detailed sound.
I guess the tubes had about 500 hours on them already, so broken in. But my ears were not broken in for this tube ....

And by unhinged, i mean whole band crescendos and solos, like guitar and sax. I swear, one guitar solo flew rightoff the left side of the stage!! Along with the guitarist!!

But man, those things reveal detail like no other. Even the R/L is so tight and accurate, its a bit unnerving with the Th900s.
Then I put the Siemens CCa's in my home stereo tube preAmp- seemed to sound more cohesive with speakers. The low end in
particular, quit a bit of decay on the bass, almost sounded like a "gong" (remember the Gong Show? lol)

Also got two Amperex 7308s i just received: on the HPs, the soundstage and R/L integrate like no other.
I mean, the 900s are already known for their soundstage, but the 7308s took it to a new level. Very musical and listenable, thougha the overall sound was a bit "light" compared to the Siemens.
But I'm just breaking them in, so we will see ....
Others experiences with these tubes?
I have experience with the very same pair of Siemens CCa. :ksc75smile:.
They were one of my favorite tubes when I was using the Lyr 2. Didn't care for them much with the MJ2 or LP, the synergy was not there. Please be extremely careful with them in the tube tester you are getting. I would practice testing with lesser tubes first. That is what I did. No warranty on the Siemens if you test at 12.6 volts or higher.:o2smile:
Seriously stock Lyr 2 tubes, anything J & J. Any current production is fine. Work your way up to your better tubes bro, you'll be fine.

Mar 15, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #20,134 of 23,493
Mar 15, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #20,135 of 23,493
Had a weird experience listening on my T1 with my Ken-Rad 12AX7s. After a couple hours the sound got softer and softer till I had to put the Lyr 2 on high gain full volume. I tried again the other day with some cheap GE 5670s (just in case the Lyr was about to go haywire) and it sounded fine. But I didn’t have a chance to put any extensive time on them.

Are the tubes going? Is the Lyr 2 going? Is my hearing going? No opinions solicited as to whether my mind is going since I’m on this thread.

Mar 15, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #20,136 of 23,493
Had a weird experience listening on my T1 with my Ken-Rad 12AX7s. After a couple hours the sound got softer and softer till I had to put the Lyr 2 on high gain full volume. I tried again the other day with some cheap GE 5670s (just in case the Lyr was about to go haywire) and it sounded fine. But I didn’t have a chance to put any extensive time on them.

Are the tubes going? Is the Lyr 2 going? Is my hearing going? No opinions solicited as to whether my mind is going since I’m on this thread.

The Lyr 2 can’t take 12ax7s directly, you need an adaptor for that family of tubes.

The 5670s are on another family, but I think they may be ok for direct input. See page 621 of this thread, and also about 6-10 pages back, there was a discussion on the RELATIVE accuracy of the Lyr 2 manual on the Schiit site, In regards to which tubes are appropriate for the LYR.

Mar 15, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #20,137 of 23,493
Sending those worn out noisy Valvo now, this is your last chance to buy better than GE.
Got my refund with original shipping, look for the tubes soon on ebay soon. Turned a guy on to a set of Tele smooth plates hope he fares better. Though I just linked them, did not tell anybody to buy, so my conscience is clear.

Mar 16, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #20,138 of 23,493
Mar 16, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #20,139 of 23,493

That could be a sign of a tube gasping its last breath, although it is highly unlikely both tubes would behave the same way at exactly the same time. If it was just one channel then I'd suspect the tube. If both channels, then I'd suspect the mind thing. :stuck_out_tongue:

Mar 16, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #20,140 of 23,493
That could be a sign of a tube gasping its last breath, although it is highly unlikely both tubes would behave the same way at exactly the same time. If it was just one channel then I'd suspect the tube. If both channels, then I'd suspect the mind thing. :stuck_out_tongue:
Worst part of it is having a working GE pair IMO.

Mar 17, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #20,142 of 23,493
The GE 5670 triple micas actually sound pretty good with the super dark T1s. Probably too bright for anything else.

@Ripper2860 just upgraded to these and said the GE's make them sound awesome. Maybe I've been too dismissive of GE's all along? :upside_down::relaxed:

upload_2019-3-17_16-56-44.png

Mar 17, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #20,143 of 23,493
YES!! Much better than the open-back Hello Kitty's. The GE's make these SING!! The Hot Dog song is almost holographic!!! :D

Mar 17, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #20,144 of 23,493
YES!! Much better than the open-back Hello Kitty's. The GE's make these SING!! The Hot Dog song is almost holographic!!! :D

Are you selling your Hello Kitty's or keeping them for backup? :stuck_out_tongue:

Mar 17, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #20,145 of 23,493
I'm keeping them. I have a really nice Silver Litz Moon Audio cable on order for them. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back