Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jun 12, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #18,151 of 23,494
Listened to the 1950’s (don’t know the date and that’s how he listed it) 6c8g Black plate RCA last night. I’m not liking the sound at all. Very dark, murky/muddy, top end is very polite and the bass is almost non existent. Everything just sounds congested with no detail or clarity. It’s striking. Maybe they’re a bad set of tubes? They’re NOS and I’ll eventually do my due diligence by burning it in and giving it a fair shake, but I just don’t know when that’ll be with everything else I have to burn in. And again, it’s hard to pull the Tung Sols out. This 6c8g Tung Sol is comparable to the Foton triple Mica in its quality and what type of sound signature I like from both, even though they’re different. Just my take guys.
Burnin does help these RCA guys loosen up a bit (whether brain burnin or tube burnin is an open question). Not an everyday tube I think but an interesting sound.

Jun 12, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #18,153 of 23,494
Thanx for the feedback on the tubes.
I know I need to burn them in but it’s gonna be a while. Just don’t like the initial sound at all.

I’ll post pics tonight but it’ll be probably 8pm mountain time.
There are a few tubes I would have thrown out after first listen that are now some of my favorites, so bear with it. Also bear in mind that you're probably consciously, or unconsciously, comparing them to the Sylvania you've fallen in love with, rather than judging them for their own merits. Burn them in, and then listen to them for a few days without listening to the Sylvania or any other tube straight before them. Then see how you feel about them.

Jun 12, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #18,156 of 23,494
AC, Do the Oktybar's take a little time to settle down? How long burn in do they need? Thanks
They do take a while. Most of the Russian tubes typically take up to 100 hours. The mid range gets less congested as they burn in, and the soundstage and detail separation really opens up once they've fully burnt in.

Try and leave them burn in when you're not using the amp if you can, though I do recommend keeping an eye on it for safety.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #18,157 of 23,494
I just snagged a (1950s? DJ0 - D7J) Valvo (Hamburg) PCC88 pinched waist D-getter. If anyone happens to have another I can pair it up with that they want to sell, please let me know.

@kolkoo @ThurstonX either of you hoarders have one? :)
I wish. I was turned off to PCC88s early on due to the Matsuschiita Scandal (i.e., they sucked), but now I like the others I have, esp., as you noted, AC, the Tungsrams. I've got real Tungsrams, and Tungsrams that say Made In Great Britain. Go figure.

On the Russian front, I just finished putting 389 hours on the first pair of 1953 ribbed Foton 6N8S. Lord Stanley and his Cup had me a bit preoccupied, but I enjoyed the end of the ride with the Fotons properly burned in. Rolled the second pair last night, so can't compare to the non-ribbed. Any advantage the ribbed version may have is probably pretty subtle to my ears. Both definitely have that big, beautiful 6SN7 stage and nice imaging.

Jun 13, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #18,159 of 23,494
Listened to the 1950’s (don’t know the date and that’s how he listed it) 6c8g Black plate RCA last night. I’m not liking the sound at all. Very dark, murky/muddy, top end is very polite and the bass is almost non existent. Everything just sounds congested with no detail or clarity. It’s striking. Maybe they’re a bad set of tubes? They’re NOS and I’ll eventually do my due diligence by burning it in and giving it a fair shake, but I just don’t know when that’ll be with everything else I have to burn in. And again, it’s hard to pull the Tung Sols out. This 6c8g Tung Sol is comparable to the Foton triple Mica in its quality and what type of sound signature I like from both, even though they’re different. Just my take guys.
Mine seem to be real picky about what they pair with. Excellent match for the DT880. Awful match with T1, HE-560 and HD6XX.

Finally got around to trying the HD600 with the RCA 6C8Gs and it's a match made in heaven. I don't think these headphones have ever sounded better, and as you all know they are damned fine headphones. I made the mistake of trying them just before bedtime. Three hours later....

Jun 13, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #18,160 of 23,494
They do take a while. Most of the Russian tubes typically take up to 100 hours. The mid range gets less congested as they burn in, and the soundstage and detail separation really opens up once they've fully burnt in.

Try and leave them burn in when you're not using the amp if you can, though I do recommend keeping an eye on it for safety.
Brent Jessee may have some PCC88 but I think they were Heerlen. May be sold out or expensive buying from him. He had my Valvo CCa Heerlen tubes for $1400 pair a while back.
Seems like I quoted the wrong post.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #18,161 of 23,494
I wish. I was turned off to PCC88s early on due to the Matsuschiita Scandal (i.e., they sucked), but now I like the others I have, esp., as you noted, AC, the Tungsrams. I've got real Tungsrams, and Tungsrams that say Made In Great Britain. Go figure.
If that's the British Tungsram brand, they might be Mullards (or Philips or …).
BVA was a cartel of which Mullard was a member. British Tungsram wasn't, and that's what made Tungsram a useful tool for Mullard. Branding their valves Tungsram instead of Mullard, they were able to supply their products to clients ineligible under BVA rules.

British Tungsram was one of those many companies that were bought by Philips over the years. In practice, it was taken over by Mullard. Mullard, of course, was Philips UK, so to speak.
BVA = British Valve Association.

Jun 14, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #18,165 of 23,494

When I pulled that up, what should appear at the top of the page (along with other auctions) but another one of BangyBangs. With all the hundreds of 50+ year old tubes he has up for sale I never cease to be amazed that every single last one of them has absolutely perfect silkscreening. Flawless. He's obviously found the tube equivalent of the fountain of youth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back