Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Jan 15, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #436 of 1,331
My unit behaves the same. Music is just barely audible in high gain with volume at zero. It’s not just you :).
Here's an excerpt from the Schiit Saga manual, which will also apply to the Lyr+ because it most probably uses the same relay attenuator:
844D1EA6-42FF-4244-8A39-1605676FDD91.jpeg

Jan 15, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #437 of 1,331
Got my power conditioner in place and ready for whenever my Lyr+ gets repaired and sent back to me.

No idea if it will help keep it alive but it at least rules out a variable.

Attachments

• 20230115_162820.jpg
    20230115_162820.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Jan 15, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #438 of 1,331
I just checked mine in Solid State mode, no music, volume max'd: same noise as with tube. Inaudible before I've dialed it back to 3 PM.

Now I have to give SS mode a little more head time.

Jan 16, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #439 of 1,331
Got my power conditioner in place and ready for whenever my Lyr+ gets repaired and sent back to me.

Well dang, I guess I timed that right!

Screenshot_20230116_125518_Gmail.jpg

Jan 16, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #440 of 1,331
Schiit is becoming more and more sympathetic to me. To sweeten my waiting time, I wrote to Schiit and asked them to give me technical details about the structure and technology of the Lyr+. They answered me quickly and in great detail. Really cool.

Jan 16, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #441 of 1,331
Schiit is becoming more and more sympathetic to me. To sweeten my waiting time, I wrote to Schiit and asked them to give me technical details about the structure and technology of the Lyr+. They answered me quickly and in great detail. Really cool.
Is that something you can share here? Yes, that's quite nice of them.

Jan 16, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #442 of 1,331
I ask if I can publish the content👍🏼

Jan 16, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #443 of 1,331

Those Furmans are great I have 2 of em in my setup

Jan 17, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #444 of 1,331
My unit behaves the same. Music is just barely audible in high gain with volume at zero. It’s not just you :).
I remember when I switched to input 2 without anything feeding the second inputs and I could hear music faintly playing from input 1.

Jan 17, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #445 of 1,331
So this was also the case with mine out of the box. The gain button barely moved, wouldn't click, and was hyper sensitive. In fact, pressing on the face of the unit AROUND the gain button caused it to trigger, and at one point it got so bad it was stuck "in", and the amp wouldn't do anything.

After some poking and prodding, I managed to fix this by wedging my fingernails between the face plate and base, and trying nudge it up again. This caused the outer button to snap into alignment with the inner button and now it clicks.

Seems Schiit's QC with the Lyr+ isn't up to their usual standards, taking into account mine and others' experiences here. Not sure what's up with that.

Wow, thanks so much for this!

I just got mine today, and out of the box the buttons were clicky/responsive, and everything worked fine (tested solid state mode first), but I must have misaligned the face plate when angling the unit to unplug it to put in a tube to test the tube mode because the buttons became very nonresponsive (they still depressed and clicked, but it didn't feel right) and I couldn't get it to go into tube mode (I thought maybe my new tube was dead on arrival).

Eventually the whole thing just froze up and wouldn't produce sound even after I turned it off and on (tried to "reset" it) and tried just the solid state mode again. It wouldn't respond to the remote either. I tried it with or without the tube seated and thought somehow it just stopped working. I was about to go nuts and send Schiit a frustrated email. I thought I must be overlooking something really simple; well, not really: if the buttons get out of alignment then the whole unit either doesn't work right (won't switch modes or switch gains) or stops working altogether. That's not something everyone would discover and most would think something else more serious is wrong with the unit. I came to this thread specifically to see what I might be overlooking. Glad I did!

Anyway, haven't listened much yet, but I do like what I hear. I think it's better than my other "mid fi" amps (Burson Funk, Cayin iHA-6, Gilmore Lite Mk2, and WA6) both in timbre and technicalities (including sound stage). It reminds me most of the iHA-6: bright, clear, clean, crisp, energetic, impactful with more powerful than average bass and good technicalities...but more tame and natural in the highs (the sharp, fatiguing, even metallicy highs are the downfall of the iHA-6 imo).

Now, I did just get a Ferrum Oor and that has literally blown me away in the sense that I didn't think headphone amps could sound that good (speaker amps, which I have much more experience with, yes) and so I'm spoiled by it and so far it seems that the Lyr+ can't compete (as should be the case!), but comparing the Lyr+ with the amps above that are in its class, I think it is the winner. So I got some amps to sell!

PS: I really like the remote: very hefty and solid! I expected it to be some thin metal, lightweight, cheapish feeling kind of afterthought: nope, it's like a little metal brick!

Edit: I'm mostly using my HE1000V2's to test the Lyr+ but I briefly listened to it with my Empire Ear Odins and I heard no hiss at reasonable volume levels (low gain) with those. So it seems this might be IEM friendly as it will have a quiet background with at least some of them. That's good, as I plan to use this in a bedroom set up with the Odin's because any transducers that leak sound are a no-no in that room with the significant other lol.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #446 of 1,331
Wow, thanks so much for this!

I just got mine today, and out of the box the buttons were clicky/responsive, and everything worked fine (tested solid state mode first), but I must have misaligned the face plate when angling the unit to unplug it to put in a tube to test the tube mode because the buttons became very nonresponsive (they still depressed and clicked, but it didn't feel right) and I couldn't get it to go into tube mode (I thought maybe my new tube was dead on arrival).

Eventually the whole thing just froze up and wouldn't produce sound even after I turned it off and on (tried to "reset" it) and tried just the solid state mode again. It wouldn't respond to the remote either. I tried it with or without the tube seated and thought somehow it just stopped working. I was about to go nuts and send Schiit a frustrated email. I thought I must be overlooking something really simple; well, not really: if the buttons get out of alignment then the whole unit either doesn't work right (won't switch modes or switch gains) or stops working altogether. That's not something everyone would discover and most would think something else more serious is wrong with the unit.

Anyway, haven't listened much yet, but I do like what I hear. I think it's better than my other "mid fi" amps (Burson Funk, Cayin iHA-6, Gilmore Lite Mk2, and WA6) both in timbre and technicalities (including sound stage). It reminds me most of the iHA-6: bright, clear, clean, energetic, impactful with more powerful than average bass and good technicalities...but more tame and natural in the highs (the downfall of the iHA-6 imo).

Now, I did just get a Ferrum Oor and that has literally blown me away in the sense that I didn't think headphone amps could sound that good (speaker amps, which I have much more experience with, yes) and so I'm spoiled by it and so far it seems that the Lyr+ can't compete (as should be the case!), but comparing the Lyr+ with the amps above that are in its class, I think it is the winner. So I got some amps to sell!
I think your unit and mine are twins.

Jan 17, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #447 of 1,331
I just received mine today and unfortunately, no go. No sound. Problem symptoms: remote not working; input button isn’t pressable; gain button is pressable but lights on both sides are on.

Thoughts? 😟

Jan 17, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #448 of 1,331
I just received mine today and unfortunately, no go. No sound. Problem symptoms: remote not working; input button isn’t pressable; gain button is pressable but lights on both sides are on.

Thoughts? 😟
No schiit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back