Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Jan 14, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #421 of 1,355
From the first moment I turned the Lyr+ on I let it warm up for a good bit, then plugged in my headphones and got a concerningly loud whirring on the left channel while in SS mode, which thankfully stopped after two minutes, but then pushing the knob past 3 o'clock resulted in bass clipping while not being particularly loud... Bad signs so far. I switched to tube mode and the clipping issue disappeared. I was enjoying the sound for a half hour but the power output was not exactly impressive with the Empyrean. The volume is super quiet before 12 o'clock, only becoming usable for music around 3. Out of my music player I'm at 3 usually, but when scouring youtube for new music the knob is at 4 typically, and for some videos I have to turn it all the way up. Better yet, noise is quite loud when the pot is that high and I can hear my mouse cursor sing. All of this in high gain, of course. The single ended output on the V281 is simply better.

Then I switched back to SS mode and the unit bricked for good few minutes. No ready click, no output, and no response from the remote or the unit for at least 3 minutes. Surely it doesn't take that long? I turned it off, unplugged, turned on again. Finally, after another few minutes I get the ready click in SS mode. Not a positive experience so far but the clipping issue was less apparent in SS mode now, at least? Though, there is still some audible nastiness in the bass at higher volumes in SS mode. The tube output is much cleaner.

Unimpressed with the lack of headroom for the Empyreans, I try the LCD-4, and unfortunately the knob has to be dialed up all the way for them, while also not delivering their full potential. The V281 SE output also struggles to a lesser degree with the LCD-4, but its balanced out makes them shine with plenty of room to spare. I specifically got the Lyr+ because I wanted a powerful hybrid amp, but I'm just not getting it. I expected a lot more from 6W.

Is it normal for the buttons on the front to have no travel and no tactile click? Because only the gain button has travel and works as I would expect. There was a period where my input button didn't work at all, but now it is.

The remote is a nice touch, but the volume adjustment is not very precise, especially considering that roughly a quarter of the pot is actually usable.

The sound in tube mode is excellent, provided it's given an easy load, but the power capabilities of the Lyr are not inspiring given its paper specs, unless there is something wrong with my unit. SS mode is disappointing, as is the noise in both modes since the pot has to be turned up high most of the time. Hopefully I also don't experience any further technical quirks. Not happy so far.
Your unit sounds defective. You should be able to drive the Empy on high gain at about 1oclock and 3 should be nearly deafening. Turning the knob to max on high gain should be loud enough to basically potentially blow your drivers. What you’re experiencing isn’t normal and you should reach out to Schiit for a replacement. My unit performs flawlessly in both SS and tube mode and sounds remarkable (especially with nice tubes installed, it blows my Burson Conductor 3XR out of the water). It’s very consistent, all buttons are tactile and the functions take maybe 10-15 sec when changing SS to tube etc and about 5-10 sec when changing gain modes. I listen at about 12 - 1 o’clock on most of my headphones like LCDX and about 2 - 3 o’clock on my v1 Arya (non-stealth) which gets it quite loud on high gain.. additionally, it’s DEAD silent in both SS and tube mode. No hiss, hum, noise etc. perfect clean background so again.. your experience leads me to think the unit has an issue..

My recommendation is to not give up on this amp just yet. It’s quite amazing and I’m sorry you’re experiencing these issues but give Schiit a chance to make things right.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #422 of 1,355
Your unit sounds defective. You should be able to drive the Empy on high gain at about 1oclock and 3 should be nearly deafening. Turning the knob to max on high gain should be loud enough to basically potentially blow your drivers. What you’re experiencing isn’t normal and you should reach out to Schiit for a replacement. My unit performs flawlessly in both SS and tube mode and sounds remarkable (especially with nice tubes installed, it blows my Burson Conductor 3XR out of the water). It’s very consistent, all buttons are tactile and the functions take maybe 10-15 sec when changing SS to tube etc and about 5-10 sec when changing gain modes. I listen at about 12 - 1 o’clock on most of my headphones like LCDX and about 2 - 3 o’clock on my v1 Arya (non-stealth) which gets it quite loud on high gain.. additionally, it’s DEAD silent in both SS and tube mode. No hiss, hum, noise etc. perfect clean background so again.. your experience leads me to think the unit has an issue..
Thanks for the info. I knew something was wrong from the start and the user experience has been uneasy. I'm definitely going to return it and I don't even want a replacement. Don't feel like gambling.

Does anyone know of some good hybrid tube amps out there?

Jan 14, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #425 of 1,355

My recommendation is to not give up on this amp just yet. It’s quite amazing and I’m sorry you’re experiencing these issues but give Schiit a chance to make things right.
You don't have to try this, but without any music playing and the pot turned all the way up, is it still dead silent?

Jan 14, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #426 of 1,355
It seems like the third failure report in the thread this month
It might be a bad batch. I feel like everyone that bought one early hasn't had any issues.

That said it's an (potential) explanation, not an excuse. It's not great waiting weeks to get one and have it immediately fail, or like in my case, getting one quickly but then having to send it right back and waiting weeks to get it repaired. UPDATE: They actually repaired mine in less than a week. I don't want to spread misinformation.

And it really is a gamble right now if you're going to get one that will last.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #427 of 1,355
It might be a bad batch. I feel like everyone that bought one early hasn't had any issues.

That said it's an (potential) explanation, not an excuse. It's not great waiting weeks to get one and have it immediately fail, or like in my case, getting one quickly but then having to send it right back and waiting weeks to get it repaired.

Mine is arriving Tuesday, according to Fed Ex… I’ll report back. 🧐🤞

Jan 14, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #428 of 1,355
You don't have to try this, but without any music playing and the pot turned all the way up, is it still dead silent?
Just tried it and yes, even turned to max volume, it’s dead silent. I’m not sure if this matters but I’m feeding my DAC via optical cable. I’ve heard usb can sometimes introduce noise. I’m not sure if that could be at play here or not.

Jan 14, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #429 of 1,355

That said it's an (potential) explanation, not an excuse. It's not great waiting weeks to get one and have it immediately fail, or like in my case, getting one quickly but then having to send it right back and waiting weeks to get it repaired.

I purchased my unit quite recently. Def one of the later batches and thankfully no issues. Also had to go through the 3 week wait list so I feel the folks and the pain of having to send it back..

Jan 14, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #430 of 1,355
Just tried it and yes, even turned to max volume, it’s dead silent. I’m not sure if this matters but I’m feeding my DAC via optical cable. I’ve heard usb can sometimes introduce noise. I’m not sure if that could be at play here or not.
Well, I've been using it with the Modi Multibit 2 through USB which has Unison... It's not giving me noise on my other amps.

Jan 14, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #431 of 1,355
Mine is arriving Tuesday, according to Fed Ex… I’ll report back. 🧐🤞

Me as well. I was reluctant to buy from Schitt again (3rd amp) as my old Vali lasted about a year and my Asgard 2 I've always thought of as very "meh" in terms of SQ.

But the price, remote, and hybrid ability (and fond memories of my Vali for as long as it lasted)...I have to try it.

Jan 14, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #432 of 1,355
Mine in tube mode is not dead silent at max, but only a small turn counter-clockwise eliminates the noise, and that's far more volume than I would ever use. Mine is fed by an old Bifrost with Multibit upgrade, which gets its noise via USB (passed through a WYRD). Haven't tested this in SS mode, as I've only used SS mode once.

All your other issues scream, Send it back. Personally I'd try one more before giving up, but that's me (with lots of tubes). Mine is a big improvement over the Lyr OG.

Jan 15, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #433 of 1,355
Mine in tube mode is not dead silent at max, but only a small turn counter-clockwise eliminates the noise, and that's far more volume than I would ever use. Mine is fed by an old Bifrost with Multibit upgrade, which gets its noise via USB (passed through a WYRD). Haven't tested this in SS mode, as I've only used SS mode once.

All your other issues scream, Send it back. Personally I'd try one more before giving up, but that's me (with lots of tubes). Mine is a big improvement over the Lyr OG.
Man, it’s too bad some units are getting out with such issues. Hope it is just the bad luck of a few and not a widespread issue. I’ve had mine a few months and it has been flawless in all functions and dead silent in tube or SS at any volume.

Hope they get this worked out.

Jan 15, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #434 of 1,355
Man, it’s too bad some units are getting out with such issues. Hope it is just the bad luck of a few and not a widespread issue. I’ve had mine a few months and it has been flawless in all functions and dead silent in tube or SS at any volume.

Hope they get this worked out.
Yes, all the reports are a little disconcerting. I chalked mine up to "could be the tubes". I could elicit a lot of tube noise on the Lyr OG, though that depends on the tube(s). I did not get a tube from Schiit, as I didn't need one. I'll have to test in SS mode.

One odd thing I noted was that even with the volume knob at "zero", I can still hear music very faintly (high gain, Arya SE). Not sure if that's normal. I find the volume knob pretty fiddly. I can usually tweak the volume with very small adjustments, but there's always a point after noon-1-2 o'clock where the dreaded *click* happens, and the transition is not smooth, regardless of how slowly I'm turning it. That's more often with an increase. I wonder if that's the Class A to Class B point? Jason's lesson in "Transconductance nonlinearity" is beyond me, so I don't know if that's relevant to this. So yeah, volume knob: not in love with it, but not a deal breaker. I understand why he opted to design it that way.

In the end I'm happy I don't have to put in for an RMA. Both my Lyr OG and Bifrost had to go back for repairs.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #435 of 1,355
Yes, all the reports are a little disconcerting. I chalked mine up to "could be the tubes". I could elicit a lot of tube noise on the Lyr OG, though that depends on the tube(s). I did not get a tube from Schiit, as I didn't need one. I'll have to test in SS mode.

One odd thing I noted was that even with the volume knob at "zero", I can still hear music very faintly (high gain, Arya SE). Not sure if that's normal. I find the volume knob pretty fiddly. I can usually tweak the volume with very small adjustments, but there's always a point after noon-1-2 o'clock where the dreaded *click* happens, and the transition is not smooth, regardless of how slowly I'm turning it. That's more often with an increase. I wonder if that's the Class A to Class B point? Jason's lesson in "Transconductance nonlinearity" is beyond me, so I don't know if that's relevant to this. So yeah, volume knob: not in love with it, but not a deal breaker. I understand why he opted to design it that way.

In the end I'm happy I don't have to put in for an RMA. Both my Lyr OG and Bifrost had to go back for repairs.
My unit behaves the same. Music is just barely audible in high gain with volume at zero. It’s not just you :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back